Have you ever thought this about custom works?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medicomsucks

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have lurked here and on one sixth warriors for years and I've looked at a lot of amazing customs, but have you ever opened a thread showcasing someone's custom and thought 'Wow, that is absolutely awful?'

I would never say anything about it, I wouldn't even offer 'constructive criticism' because it means enough for them to share it. But doesn't it make you a little less trusting towards the people who respond to their work with 'Wow nice job!'

I hope I'm not the only one.

Making customs is about developing ones skills and talent.

You aren't doing anyone any favours by holding back on your honest take on someone's work.

At the same time, one shouldn't post ones customs, if one isn't interested in feedback.

As long as your are constructive and don't just bash people's work for the pleasure of bashing it.

I wouldn't open a thread and criticise people for sure. I prefer to not post a thing. I am just shock to read how people love such n such when its like crap to me. Sure its a custom and I respect people who try. I am hard on myself too.

If I don't want smoke blown up my backside I'll invite opinions about my rubbish custom job here at SSF. If I want a bushfire's worth of smoke blown up there, I'll post it on OSW :wink1:

A good model for framing constructive feedback is the so-called sh** sandwich - positive comment followed by negative-but-constructive comment followed by positive comment. Unless it's a pro custom, offering just positive feedback is nice and all, but not especially helpful for the custom artist wanting to improve their skills.

Yes and wells said as true honesty will lead to better improvements
I for one can't customize anything except for buying ready clothes set and putting them on bodies lol.
Customs are really cool but not everyone is able to pull it off from the beginning.

On another note, I think it's hilarious when people aren't honest, and write nothing but praises, and glowing reviews for sub-par customs that a child could have created with Kindergarten putty. But, then when Hot Toys releases a figure, the same people are always ready whip out their knives and pitchforks, because Hot Toys didn't put enough wrinkles on the face, or because PERS makes the eyes glow too much, etc, etc, etc, cry me a river.

I've seen some really bad ones & I've seen really good customs

Yup, same here.

There have been plenty of times when I was on the verge of letting loose an honest assessment of a crappy custom,but held off.Mostly because I didn't want to deal with _____y mods who are determined that we all play nice.I don't know who came up with the concept of"politically correct", but I would happily choke the life out of them if I had the chance...PS

There have been plenty of times when I was on the verge of letting loose an honest assessment of a crappy custom,but held off.Mostly because I didn't want to deal with _____y mods who are determined that we all play nice.I don't know who came up with the concept of"politically correct", but I would happily choke the life out of them if I had the chance...PS

:exactly:

You gotta love that proverbial, "Nice job!" It's like one is talking to a 3-year old, and one is afraid to be honest for fear of being frowned upon and labeled a "troll."

Maybe people that post that they like it, actually like it. yeah, crazy concept. :horror

Because you think something looks like _____, it would be pretty arrogant that you think everyone else shares your opinion. Hell, you see this on almost a daily basis on forums. New product comes out, its the best thing you've ever seen then someones knocking it because a belt buckle is not the same shade it was in a movie or that actor looked skinnier/heavier/had more pointed elbows in that role.

I respect you not liking someone's work and its your choice whether to critique or not, but to assume everyone else is putting on a happy face because they don't agree with your critique is pure ignorance.

Oh yeah, and :peace

Having respect for others is not "political correctness" - it's how normal people are able to function within a society. Certainly there are some that think that the "internet" is a glass wall that protects you from the crap that you fling at others, but it shouldn't be, and we should always treat fellow members just as you would if you met them in person.

I think most customizers welcome some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism from others that have solved some of the same problems. I don't feel the "nice job" comments are doing anyone any good though, and I would discourage that.

I would recommend that if you don't have anything nice to say and you don't have a suggestion for how they could improve that can be phrased in a constructive way, that you don't comment at all.

I do think that this applies to professional pieces as well - there is always a person or group of persons behind any piece and offering intelligent, thoughtful critiques will get your ideas heard far more than just offering up "it's crap."

Its all relative, if someone is not artistic or a beginner & it looks like yuk, it can still be a "good job" or "nice work" for their level, you should always be polite and if you have any knowledge to pass on voice it & help them learn. Like hey try this or look here, but just putting someones work down for the sake of it is just rude.

Its all relative, if someone is not artistic or a beginner & it looks like yuk, it can still be a "good job" or "nice work" for their level, you should always be polite and if you have any knowledge to pass on voice it & help them learn. Like hey try this or look here, but just putting someones work down for the sake of it is just rude.

:exactly::goodpost:

If I think a custom is awful and without redeeming feature I just don't comment at all. Theres no need, no one knows if you've viewed a given thread/post or not.

Anyone's opinion here is just that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A custom is relative the the customizer's skill, and immediately comparing a newb's work to HT or some master customizer's effort here is unfair.

It might be a fun test to have everyone post a picture of their girlfriend or wife and have people make judgemental comments on that. Just for fun. :D

To be honest, I have never seen a negative comment on OSW even though the figure might have looked like trash. They just really like to encourage each other over there. I feel they are just happy to share their hobby with each other. Even though a custom work might not be perfect, they will praise it because, clearly, the person who made it is proud of it. That's all the matter to those guys in OSW.

I haven't been there in ages. I find they don't discuss the new teasers and releases enough like we do it here but I sure miss their positive view on... well, everything.

To be honest, I have never seen a negative comment on OSW even though the figure might have looked like trash. They just really like to encourage each other over there. I feel they are just happy to share their hobby with each other. Even though a custom work might not be perfect, they will praise it because, clearly, the person who made it is proud of it. That's all the matter to those guys in OSW.

That sounds kind of nice.

Yes, I have opened up customs threads and not thought much of the work. But, I cannot sculpt nor paint so I would never talk down someone's hard work, nor do I feel like I want to. Constructive criticism is good, in theory, but execution is the key.

Well, you are entitled to an opinion. Also if you're not a sculptor yourself. Just because you cannot do equally as well, or better, doesn't make you incapable or unqualified to evaluate on someone's piece.

Back