Have you ever thought this about custom works?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I try to encourage customizers, even though the figure might not be that good. Given enough time and encouragement to master their technique it's amazing what they can accomplish. I also gladly share tips, suggestions and hints with others. I look back at my figure thread and think most of the one's I did over ten years ago when 1:6 figure customs were relatively new and think they are horrible. Fact is most of mine have all been redone or touched up many times over.

I hate to discourage anyone, down the road they may be the customizer who comes up with that one figure you've been dying for in your collection. If we discourage them they may just leave the hobby

Personally I try to encourage customizers, even though the figure might not be that good. Given enough time and encouragement to master their technique it's amazing what they can accomplish. I also gladly share tips, suggestions and hints with others. I look back at my figure thread and think most of the one's I did over ten years ago when 1:6 figure customs were relatively new and think they are horrible. Fact is most of mine have all been redone or touched up many times over.

I hate to discourage anyone, down the road they may be the customizer who comes up with that one figure you've been dying for in your collection. If we discourage them they may just leave the hobby

I can't agree more with you~!

Here is an excellant example of what I find absurd about some of the comments made particularly in the custom section. Two different artist are offering head sculpts of the same character. #1 is one of the most popular sculptors who post here. #2 is equally as talented, but thier work draws little attention or comment.

#2 post pictures of a finished painted sculpt. This character is from a very popular film series with a rabid fan base. Despite the fact that this sculpt was very well executed and looked as good or better than any other attempts at this character, there was no interested shown. At all. Since that thread went up there have been 322 views and only 8 comments. Ironically two of the post came from people running the thread for artist #1

Shortly after artist #2 started thier thread an interest thread went up for the same character from artist #1. I could understand more interest being shown here because a full figure was being offered instead of just a head. This thread exploded before there was anything to show of the actual product. Now that pictures have emerged everyone is throwing in thier two cents worth on how to improve the sculpt. This includes diagrams and Photoshop renderings. Then some one jumps in and make an excuse for a less than perfect likeness by saying the sculptor is using thier artistic license. WTF? Now the lead on the project is telling everyone they are just going to have to accept whatever the artist comes up with. This thread has generated over 6,600 views and 364 comments.

Personally I just don't get it. Thanks for reading.

Why not just cut this crap and just say its Snyder's Ra's Al Ghul and Rainman and iminime's exceution of it thats bothering you... let me tell you something. There was a time when Snyder man's sculpt would have satisfied everyone etc etc... Chris Howes Joker did! But times have changed. Stock figures from HT and all now have headsculpts far more realistic than before.

Earlier some of the HT sculpts which were likened to be 'Tom Cruise' and all etc are pretty much cartoonish compared to the sculpts being churned out now. Earlier people would go ooh aah on Chris Howes' Joker and now nothing short of Adam is satisfying.
Artists come and raise the bar and expectations along with it. Plus paintjobs have become more and more advanced.

Snyders sculpt would have impressed me a couple of years back when HT's Bank Robber Joker was still the Benchmark. Snyder's attempt is much better than some others who have tried their hand but please dont be a blind fanboy and cry disparity when the newer work is clearly superior in all counts.

Im not a Rainman fan or collector. I just wanted the best Ra's Al Ghul possible which could stand beside my HT OC and HT Scarecrow and Adam's Bruce Wayne and look like its not out of place. That is exactly why I pitched Iminime to do it. I had no idea Rainman would be the sculptor, I expected one of their extremely talented inhouse sculptors to be set in the project. Denny surprised me after a couple of days when he said who was in charge of the sculpt.

I wouldnt have said such stuff but you clearly seem to think there is some 'discrimination' on the boards, which there are none. The members on the boards only one want thing, better work. And their nitpickyness is what makes artists try to improve their skills all the time.

Your so called accusation carries no weight as honestly if you cannot see that something is clearly superior in terms of sculpt and paint by comparing with reference shots of the source I have nothing to add.

Also next time please dont take such 'veiled' potshots... thats weak.

Ideally, I would agree with the consensus view here--constructive criticism is fine in most cases, and I would hope that artists would use such information to help bolster their skills instead of feeling offended. But some customizers are more accepting of criticism than others. Some will take their bag and go home if you don't discuss their work in a positive fashion. That makes things difficult, when you're talking about an artist that some like and would like to stick around on the boards. A lot of the time it seems that the artist perceives comments to be overly negative when they don't appear that way to an outside observer, but maybe that's part of what makes some artists as good as they are--their senses are, in general, more sensitive than are those of others.

Regarding the "looks great!" type comments, I make those myself when I feel it is true. I don't say it just for the hell of it, but I figure--why not reward the artist with positive reinforcement when it is warranted? I don't feel a need to be critical all the time, so sometimes I just want to let a guy know that I appreciate what he's done and has decided to share with the rest of us.

Back