Han ANH repaint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the best repaint I have seen and you have really brought out the excellent sculpt. Really awesome man.

unsung, good luck man!
arnax thanks man. way too kind!:) we're still learning!
Shai Hulud, cheers man.

Obi's beard is now, as best I could manage, movie accurate. The original sculpted beard was too far up his face with no graduation , cutting it down with a scalpel and sanding to graduate made it a little better.

PICT0042-1.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

my sw paints
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73803

Last edited:
Obi looks good man! SS paintjobs seem so... I dunno, cheap sometimes, or at least Anakin and Obi-Wan from ROTS seemed that way... I think they've improved since those two though...

Anyway, I like all your repaints so far! Do you have any advice for a terrible head-painter? :huh Like what brushes/paints/techniques do you use, etc... I'm really bad and trying to get better at it...

Dude- Just started myself, so I don't know how much this will help,
but I'll tell u what I'm using- same as a conventional painting.
This may all be wrong, but it seemed to be ok.
Daler Rowney System 3 Acrylics
Kolinsky sable brushes- 0/3 upwards, 0/3 works for eyes.
Daler matt medium
Daler varnish
Work dark to light. Use the white sparingly, can make it chalky.
Magnifying glass or head mags.
I think paint retarder may help because acrylics dry so damn fast.

Awesome repaints! I like Han in particular, it's amazing how much life is added to that sculpt with a decent paint job (on the eyes in particular, they look so dead with the factory paint). It's a great sculpt IMO and you really brought that out.

Nice repaint for sure....reminds me that I have to give my Han some nice treatment too...
Good Job.

JediKnight, I agree, all three are great sculpts, 99.9% of the work is the great sculpt, doesn't take much to spruce them up. Thanks very much man!
Boba Felder, cheers mate, really appreciate your words!
Mr Snow, thanks man!!

After having learnt more after Anakin and Obi, wanted to start fresh on Han's eyes, giving them more detail. Had a disaster using acetone to remove the paint, accidentally removed Han's right hand bottom eye lid, the sculpt seemed to dissolve. Telling myself its only a doll, still couldn't shake the sense of devastation until he was restored, for a while he looked like he'd gone a few rounds with a Tusken Raider. the pics aren't great but this time he has a better hazel/green mix in his eyes.

PICT0008-2.jpg

PICT0010-3.jpg

Starting a Luke ANH, skin and hair, more skin and eyes later.
PICT0011-1.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

Luke's base.-again forgive the dodgy photography.
Using Daley Rowney System 3 Acrylics
DR extender
Kolinsky sables
Zinc White
Cadmium red
Cerulean blue
Process black
Cadmium yellow

PICT0029.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

Gotta question about sealing and varnishing heads.
What do you use? Daler matt varnish is way too glossy.
Testors dull coat is the weapon of choice, but apparent its being reformulated before it get into the EU again. Are there any alternatives?

No idea I am afraid, I use citadel paints which are matt and if I want a gloss, they do a clear varnish.

Your heads are really cool they take ages don't they.

mark

Cheers mate, I'll have a butchers at Citadel.
Thanks for being kind about the heads.

I don't know if you can get Liquitex stuff in the U.K., but the matte varnish they make is fantastic. Very dull and protects the paint very well!

Back