Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's for the "enhanced" model which i've seen for $2,500. mine is the "basic" model ($2,200). i prefer the handguard on it over the picatinny rails.

current accessories available here.

https://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=11

i can't wait till they start offering different caliber barrels. 6.8SPC, 7.62x39!

here's my current config. i swapped my Leupold scope from my AR.

P1030468.jpg

Yeah I definitely want one now. I'd probably get the rail system just for being able to add my grips, bipods, current AR accessories that I currently own.

For defense and target shooting

I recommend a Glock 19 to everyone that asks the same question, particularly those that are looking for their first handgun. The G19 is one of the most vetted and carried handgun by serious shooters in the world. Many US LEO's carry them and they are about as boring to shoot as any handgun out there because they just plain run. The compact size of the G19 allows comfortable CCW as well as holding hi-capacity mags, which if legal in your state, are reasonably priced. Any replacement and aftermarket parts are widespread and abundant.

Working on a Glock is simple after about one hour of competetent instruction. Even a good used G19 can be had for $350-400.

The S&W M&P is a good alternative.

The HK P30 is a nice shooter but rather pricey.

I personally would not recommend the XD and XDm. No disrespect to those that have one. Here are just a few of my reasons:

- High bore to grip, causing excessive and undesired muzzle rize and felt recoil. (your mileage may vary)

- Nowhere NEAR as simple as the GLOCK in regards to detail stripping.

- Relatively unproven.

- Lack of armorer support and easy access to spare parts. In particular, the extractor mechanism is integral to the weapon and not user or local armorer servicable. The weapon must be shipped to the manufacturer should anything go wrong in this part of the system.

Keep in mind that the pistol is made in Croatia (as the HS2000) and existed long before anyone heard of an XD, (and which commonly sold for about half of the current price under the previous and original name), but it is advertised and marketed as such to appear that it is an American design and manufactured product. It's basically one giant marketing and advertising scam. This near double price came about when SA had their name stamped into the side of the HS2000 and "reintroduced" the pistol as the newest/latest/greatest thing on the market with beautiful full color ads in every firearms related magazine available at your nearest B&N and 7/11.

-Finally, and maybe the biggest reason is that there is not a great following in Law Enforcement. Rarely has an agency looked to the SA XD/XDm line as a duty weapon. This reason alone will stop many from placing thier lives in the hands of a weapon system that the professionals by-and-large tend to shy away from. If this was to be just a range gun, then perhaps the above wound not be as important. But you did mention that it would also be used for self defense.

My unbiased opinion is that if you have or desire an XD/XDm, it is not going to fall apart in your hands. It will LIKELY function fine for many, many years. My recommendation is to do plenty of homework prior to purchasing any firearm. Make sure to check the serious and dedicated firearms forums as well (and not just one dedicated to "toys"... ;))

P.S. If you do go with the XD, I highly recommend that you toss the cheap-ass holster and mag holder that comes with it and purchase quality kit from Milt Sparks or Raven Concealment, just to name a couple.

And I am sure that Alex would recommend doing research on the Glock's unsupported chamber and Kaboom incidents as well. ;) :lol

Personal tastes, I know. :1-1:

I recommend a Glock 19 to everyone that asks the same question, particularly those that are looking for their first handgun. The G19 is one of the most vetted and carried handgun by serious shooters in the world. Many US LEO's carry them and they are about as boring to shoot as any handgun out there because they just plain run. The compact size of the G19 allows comfortable CCW as well as holding hi-capacity mags, which if legal in your state, are reasonably priced. Any replacement and aftermarket parts are widespread and abundant.

Working on a Glock is simple after about one hour of competetent instruction. Even a good used G19 can be had for $350-400. Sigs are great guns too and used by US LEO too. The may reason why Glocks are used is because they are cheap to purchase by the department. Face it, HK, SIG, Glock, Springfields, Kimbers, etc. They are all great guns and will perform better than you more often that not. What Flyandflight said about the springfields in all true by the way.

Last edited:
And I am sure that Alex would recommend doing research on the Glock's unsupported chamber and Kaboom incidents as well. ;) :lol

Glocks answer to the unsupported chambers is we don't want you using reloads in our guns. Not sure how I feel about those reports but I personally like Sig Sauer and H&K. You are right, personal tastes.

Matt, I'm going to go out on a limb and state that 99% of actual and accurately reported Glock "kabooms" (as well as most other handguns) were due to either remanufactured ammunition or personally reloaded ammo. Keep in mind that when reloading ammo, the constant resizing of the case is going to thin it out and eventually weaken it, making it more susceptible to case failure. This will happen with any handgun, regardless if having an unsupported chamber. I personally do not fire reloads in any of my firearms.

(I'm not sure if it means anything but I just did a quick Google search on "XD Kaboom" and "Glock Kaboom" and there were 143,000 and 19,000 results showing up respectively. Go figure...)

... Sigs are great guns too and used by US LEO too. The may reason why Glocks are used is because they are cheap to purchase by the department. Face it, HK, SIG, Glock, Springfields, Kimbers, etc. They are all great guns and will perform better than you more often that not. What Flyandflight said about the springfields in all true by the way.

Gaston does drive a mean bargain... ;)

I personally own SIGS and HK's as well. I didn't mean to leave out the P226, another proven firearm. And that's my point. My intent was not to denigrate the XD but to provide solid facts so that the person asking about a new 9mm handgun would be better informed. Glock, SIG, and HK, for example, have years of proven track record with not only the buying public but with law enforcement agencies and their more stringent guidelines. The XD simply doesn't. Does that mean it's a piece a junk? Hardly. I only posted the reasons why "I" would not purchase one specifically for self defense.

Glocks answer to the unsupported chambers is we don't want you using reloads in our guns. Not sure how I feel about those reports but I personally like Sig Sauer and H&K. You are right, personal tastes.

Ditto on the the reloads. Personally, I don't see why someone would want to save a few bucks on remanufactured ammo and risk damaging their expensive firearm (or risk damage to themselves!) in the process. Unless I were reloading my own ammo and keeping careful record of the casings in use, I won't purchase reloads from any manufacturer, let alone some guy at the gun show selling them in ammo cans or zip lock bags... ;) Needless to say, I definitely wouldn't use reloads as self-defense rounds.

Personal tastes is understandable but I wouldn't let aesthetics or a slick campaign ad over-ride a proven track-record. Shooting it once a week at the local range is one thing. Betting your life and those of your loved ones on your weapon is another. Not trying to be an arse but these aren't toys.

P.S. BY the way, most problems that I've heard with Glocks have been with the G-22 in .40. The 9mm Glocks (G26, G19, G17 and G34) have more than proven themselves over the years.

P.S.S. During lunch I purchased another G19, this time in OD. Seems that they are no longer being manufactured in that color. Always wanted one, so went for it! :yess:

P.S. BY the way, most problems that I've heard with Glocks have been with the G-22 in .40. The 9mm Glocks (G26, G19, G17 and G34) have more than proven themselves over the years.

P.S.S. During lunch I purchased another G19, this time in OD. Seems that they are no longer being manufactured in that color. Always wanted one, so went for it! :yess:

No you're right; most issues have been reported in .40 cal - and strangely with more than just Glocks, it could really be the round. :dunno

I was just having a play really, Glocks are proven and I wouldn't want to attempt to take away from them; personal preferences lead me to other choices, but they are clearly an excellent firearm.

Best weapon for self-defense is a shotgun anyway; and in this case a Mossburg takes both Glock and Springfield out of the picture. :wink1:

thanks!

here's the funny thing. i haven't shot any of them yet. LOL :lol

the only Glock i've ever shot was my co-worker's Glock 22 (.40S&W).

Back