Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - May 5th, 2017

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, some of you guys are suffering from really bad entertainment fatigue. Take a break for awhile and try out some stuff. I have definitely went through low periods in comics, movies, books, tv... etc, where nothing was really floating my boat. Just make sure you aren't getting depressed or something like that. When you start losing interest in all of the stuff you used to have fun with it could be a early sign. That, or you are just growing away from it.

Is it that I'm depressed and that's why CBMs suck or is it that CBMs suck and that's what depresses me?

:lol

Either way, its a sad state of affairs. I still like my dolls though.

Oh, yeah, it is probably he second one. WB has really been going through a rough time and Marvel is getting too formula in their approach to ALL of the new stuff. I was pleasantly surprised by Logan though and Deadpool the year before that. And I thought both of those would suck. I guess my expectations with Guardians is just not going to be that high because the characters are just not that iconic or important (to me) so if it's just a quick, goofy sci-fi romp, that's fine. On the other hand, if you love Marvels outer space titles from the past you would be pretty disappointed by anything that's not like the Starlin stories.

First, I don't think the movie is bad enough to have buyer's remorse. I liked it almost as much as the original (which had freshness on its side).

Second, I've never understood the mentality of buying a figure based on how good the movie is perceived to be. You can appreciate a character and their design independently of that.

For me, I'm trying to decide whether to get the set or not. (And I'm either Star-Lord only or all...) and it has nothing to do with the movie, or whether it was better or worse than the original. I'm just doing a good job at getting only single figures since finalising my Avengers display, and it costs a lot of money to collect sets.. especially from single movies.

But I do like the idea of them matching the same movie. Hence why I ended up upgrading my Thor and Black Widow, and why if I was going to get Drax I'd prefer the second.. My decision on Age of Ultron was not because it was better than Avengers, but because I was too late for the first, and every single figure looks better than it's counterpart from the first movie (such is this hobby). Guardians would be a similar thing. I ummed and ahhed about collecting any of them, and by the time I decided I wanted Star-Lord it was too late really, so I'm going V2. If I want the rest, they will also be V2.

And I also look at it this way. My Avengers display sits at Cap, IM, Thor, BW, Hawkeye and Banner (all AoU versions except obviously Banner). I didn't feel the need to get every figure from the movie because to me they are the original MCU Avengers and that team doesn't really change across the first two movies. You can debate whether the twins are Avengers during the final battle and whether to include the "New Avengers" from the final scene, but to me they aren't the Avengers from the first two movies. (Civil War is a different story). Same rules for apply to the Guardians. Even if they announce figures for the other characters, without getting into spoilers and allegiances in the second movie, the Guardians team is still really the 5 from the first movie. That could change for Guardians 3..

As for Kurt Russell..
Spoiler Spoiler:

my sentiments exactly, everything is based off comics, doesn't mean it's word for word. This is like the Monsters unleashed of the franchise huh?

My words on this phase of MCU is complacent. The CBM bubble is getting ready to burst.

It's a fun movie. I can't see how anyone can love the first one, but hate the second one, they are very similar films. Same type of humour, same infighting with eachother. Luckily I know nothing of the comics so I had no information about the new characters.

This is not a serious CBM though. It's the opposite of movies like TWS and CW. Where they have tiny bits of comedy added, Guardians 2 uses it in many scenes....perhaps overused for some people's tastes.

And there is definitely 5 after credit scenes....people were leaving in my cinema after the first 2 so clearly they didn't know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've never understood the mentality of buying a figure based on how good the movie is perceived to be. You can appreciate a character and their design independently of that.
But if the movie sucks and the character is nothing special then why waste money? :dunno I can appreciate the concept art done by some guy/gal because he/she is the actual artist behind the design... but nothing more.

First, I don't think the movie is bad enough to have buyer's remorse. I liked it almost as much as the original (which had freshness on its side).

Second, I've never understood the mentality of buying a figure based on how good the movie is perceived to be. You can appreciate a character and their design independently of that.

Because whenever you look at the figure you remember how awful the movie was.
That figure will be a constant reminder of how disappointed you were, or how bad the acting was.
Of how they ruined the comic or book or whatever source

It's a fun movie. I can't see how anyone can love the first one, but hate the second one, they are very similar films. Same type of humour, same infighting with eachother. Luckily I know nothing of the comics so I had no information about the new characters.

This is not a serious CBM though. It's the opposite of movies like TWS and CW. Where they have tiny bits of comedy added, Guardians 2 uses it in many scenes....perhaps overused for some people's tastes.

And there is definitely 5 after credit scenes....people were leaving in my cinema after the first 2 so clearly they didn't know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

More of the same isn't always a good thing...lighting doesn't always strike twice.

That's the thing, and that's where we are at now. There are three of these movies a year now. And I'm just talking MCU, not DC or Xmen etc. We all should know the formula walking in and out.

They'll all be good entertainment, be we won't necessarily get that X-Men 2/Spiderman 2/The Dark Knight superhero that people are still talking about years after as the standard to beat. MCU fans mainly still seem to put The Winter Soldier as the best movie, with Avengers maybe second. Thor Ragnorak won't top those. I doubt Spiderman Homecoming will. But they (hopefully) will be entertaining.

Marvel made there best film last year with Civil War which is followed by the first guardians film for me. But when talking about best super hero films period I still bring up Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight as the gold standard. Civil War is up there though, I do consider that to be Marvels most re-watchable film they've made yet. I'm expecting good things from them this year as they only seem to be getting better with every passing film/year.

But if the movie sucks and the character is nothing special then why waste money? :dunno I can appreciate the concept art done by some guy/gal because he/she is the actual artist behind the design... but nothing more.

Because whenever you look at the figure you remember how awful the movie was.
That figure will be a constant reminder of how disappointed you were, or how bad the acting was.
Of how they ruined the comic or book or whatever source

Maybe I've just never hated a movie *that much* that I regret buying the figures. Or else I haven't bought the figures cos I wasn't interested in the movie in the first place.

(And if you get too hung up on source material you're bound to be disappointed!)

Leaked Pic from the 5th PCS:

Spoiler Spoiler:

empty flick
cast fun to see but come on give me a story worth watching.
Oh and man Gunn is no tarantino he keeps on failing me with his poor choice in music.

my sentiments exactly, everything is based off comics, doesn't mean it's word for word. This is like the Monsters unleashed of the franchise huh?

My words on this phase of MCU is complacent. The CBM bubble is getting ready to burst.

Yes very complacent- hey it works for them but staleness for me has set in. Their films of late are watchable fluff but instantly forgettable

gotg vol2 is by no means a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. it is quite entertaining in parts, and has a handful of touching moments and funny gags. but entertaining is not the same as good. i found fast8 entertaining, and it is one of the most retarded movies out there. this is nowhere as wilfully stupid, but it basically has NO plot, and apart from yondu has no character development. relationships are forced and no one really does anything. the guardians are split up, one bunch hang out with starlord's dad while the other bunch are imprisoned by the ravagers. then the big revelation comes (obvious from the start) and a humdrum action finale ensues. the end.

people give the dceu so much crap but the mcu gets a pass even when its output is overwhelmingly mediocre stuff like this. honestly, the cracks in the mcu's bright, shiny facade started to show long ago for me, and of late has become so glaringly obvious that even casual moviegoers might start to notice.

Back