Godzilla vs King Kong

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True... and I didn't see the blonde tranny hair on yours, so its good.

0E7494E3-0866-4AC0-93CC-4C270C6B6351.jpg

It's such a bizarre movie, Godzilla shoots a hole to the center of the earth and some people are like "Pretty much what you'd expect..."

Not only did Godzilla laser beam a 3,500+ mile deep hole into the Earth in a matter of minutes, Kong was able to look down and see him at the other end of that 3,500 mile hole, then traverse that distance in a matter of minutes for their showdown in Hong Kong. I?m sure there were numerous times during the script writing process when the writers just said ?f* it.? How did a company secretly construct a multi-trillion dollar Hyperloop to hollow Earth without anyone noticing or a single government intervening? F* it. How did Kong make that gigantic axe? F* it. Why is a monster skull supposed to be a super computer? F* it, it looks cool.

Not only did Godzilla laser beam a 3,500+ mile deep hole into the Earth in a matter of minutes, Kong was able to look down and see him at the other end of that 3,500 mile hole, then traverse that distance in a matter of minutes for their showdown in Hong Kong. I?m sure there were numerous times during the script writing process when the writers just said ?f* it.? How did a company secretly construct a multi-trillion dollar Hyperloop to hollow Earth without anyone noticing or a single government intervening? F* it. How did Kong make that gigantic axe? F* it. Why is a monster skull supposed to be a super computer? F* it, it looks cool.

From what I understand, they were not in the center of the earth... It looked to be more like a layer between the crust and Mantle. So maybe he only had to traverse 50-70kms or so to get back to the surface.

Back home from my theatrical viewing, not a lot of time or energy to say too much right now, up with a 4 week old and doing Easter for the other kids, but short and sweet, I loved it, the fights were the sort of thing I would want with the advantages of CGI over suitmation, it was a visual feast, I feel like humans were barely in it and there was heavy monster action, and the nods to 80s action movies were so good. I felt excitement and energy from beginning to end. Treating swimming Godzilla like a shark circling prey was icing for me, so many things they did spoke to various loves for movies that I have.

I lol’d at Kong’s Die Hard jump off the boat

I fully don?t fully subscribe to that scenario because I feel that a $350 million dollar Hollywood movie should try to elevate the source material and not just throw everything to the wind and go 100% cheese because if that?s the case then ZSJL should have been just like Super Friends!

Wait Josstice League was just like Super Friends lol

I normally agree with this. I mean why does a Godzilla movie have to be dumbed down.

But then again when treated intelligently we end up with Shin and that was rather boring.

For me I was able to soak in the eye candy. Its not like KOTM or 2014 had these great plots in which to compare.

This one said.. Lets get rid of all human Drama.. Lets make one of the monsters the protagonist, and lets just push the plot forward on getting these two to fight.

This is basically a kids movie and I love it for that.

I actually want to watch it again.. its been a long time since I wanted to watch the same movie 3 times within a week. But its just such an easy watch.

Yes I absolutely have to turn off my brain and not ask questions.. And I am 100% fine with that for this film.. My inner child has been begging for a film like this and has been disappointed so many times in the past.

Am I more forgiving because all G movies get silly.. Yep and I am grateful that I am.

As for Josstice League.. I think that kind of why I liked it on first and 2nd viewing.. It was Super Friends.

In all honesty.. First time viewing.. I liked Josstice League much more the ZSJL. ZSJL is a much better film but I wonder how much more I would like Josstice League is they updated Steppenwolf, dropped some of the jokes, change the color timing and did not reshoot any Superman scenes so that the lip issue was not there.

I mean at least I would not have to listen to steppenwolf talk about where all the mother boxes were 15 times in the film. :lol

I think the problem here is people seemed to think this series was going to be serious or something????

If we look at the franchise, and accept the simple existence of a large monster like Godzilla as not enough to make a movie not serious, then Gojira is the only truly serious movie in the series. Every other entry has had some degree of silly or absurd to it. Godzilla '84 was one of the most serious films and it still has the Super X, which is a ludicrous piece of technology. Shin Godzilla is serious but has laser show Godzilla and an insane final act.

When the MonsterVerse launched in 2014, I had one hope for it, which was to apply the level of effects that Hollywood has to offer to a franchise that has historically had low budgets and cheaper FX. I wanted to see Godzilla look like he's really walking through a city and not in the middle of a sound stage, camera angles that you couldn't get with a man in a suit, realistic damage when buildings are smashed and not looking like a foam building being broken apart.

While early interviews and marketing made it seem like 2014 might be a modern Gojira, I wasn't looking for that, I was happy to have a "classic" Godzilla movie with top notch FX.

I think some people are looking for a Dark Knight Trilogy approach, where even though central characters are on the fantastic side, the film ultimately feels like any old crime drama and not like a comic book movie, that these movies would feature giant monsters but not feel like monster movies.

Expectations are a big factor in liking or not liking these movies. That's not to say there aren't flaws which will also cause that, but expectation plays a big role in how you respond to those factors. If your expectations line up with what's being delivered, then flaws can be tolerable, whereas if you're expecting something totally different, flaws feel even worse

I fully don’t fully subscribe to that scenario because I feel that a $350 million dollar Hollywood movie should try to elevate the source material and not just throw everything to the wind and go 100% cheese because if that’s the case then ZSJL should have been just like Super Friends!

Wait Josstice League was just like Super Friends lol

That's how you feel, and naturally you're disappointed with the choice, but doesn't mean the studio can't make it and other potential viewers can't want it.

Maulfan's review should be dropping soon.

Well for starters, I feel that this movie was the most honestly marketed movie in the MonsterVerse. The ads with heavy fighting and action and over the top music sold a film that would just be a lot of crazy action, and that's what we got, there's no deep story or moral lesson, the story/plot is all about given reasons and opportunities for giant monsters to fight and it is sufficient for that purpose.

I would not say that the human characters were bad, there just wasn't anything stand out about them. I didn't walk away thinking, I really like character X, I hope they're in future movies. They served the film well enough and that's what they needed to do, beyond that is just icing. I really enjoyed Ken Watanabe's Serizawa and I hate that he is no longer a part of the series, but outside of him, I haven't really felt attached to anyone in this series.

I think where the MonsterVerse is struggling with character is balancing trying to make the movies be a cinematic universe, and wanting to be influence by the history. There are so many movies in this series, but not a long history of recurring characters. In the Showa period, Dr. Yamane was the only repeat character, and he went from a key player in Gojira to a short cameo role in Gigantis the Fire Monster. Raymond Burr repeated his King of the Monsters role for the 30th anniversary Godzilla 1985. The Heisei era had the longest run of a continuing story of sorts and almost felt like a cinematic universe, but the only connective character there was Miki Sagusa who had varying levels of relevance to the story. She was introduced in Godzilla vs Biollante and appeared in the other 5 films of the period, but the cast around her kept changing, so her presence and some story connections around Godzilla were it. Mecha-Ghidorah led to Mechagodzilla which led to Moguera. There was nothing wrong with how the franchise worked in the past, however, we're in the age of the MCU, which really goes a long way to connect each independent film to the other in the greater overall story.

The MonsterVerse is a cinematic universe, events from the prior films play a role into the future stories, but it's not as close a relationship as the MCU, it's pretty loose beyond Monarch being a character in every film (though staff is mostly new people every movie), and some of the fall out of past action plays into plot most times. I think the general opinion on the people in these movies would be higher if they were planned to be in many movies and written to be ever evolving and growing characters. I think the one-off style is leading to characters being a secondary thought to the monsters and not getting as much effort put in them. That, and I hear there was more to the story here that could have made characters deeper and it ultimately wasn't filmed or hit the cutting room floor in favor of pace or monster action. Either way, humans seem to be the consistent issue with these movies and I think the cinematic universe format offers opportunity to do more special things with humans in movies like this than a one off movie usually allows. Serizawa in 2014 alone, nothing special, mixed with his story in King of the Monsters and he becomes a more interesting and valued character. Mark Russel had potential to be an interesting character with his foundation in King of the Monsters and they waste using him in Godzilla vs Kong.

I've seen complaints about not having a lot of shots showing off the scale of Kong and Godzilla, and while that's an accurate observation, I don't feel like that hurts this movie. This movie is very clear that it wants to be about fighting, and the composition of shots and action are heavily focused on that. I walked into the movie looking for that, so I was quite pleased with how everything was presented. When you see Kong and Godzilla throughout, they look great, the lighting, the framing, the color palette, just some of the best visuals in either franchise. The best part about the fighting was that there were a lot of shots on their faces capturing their responses and interactions with each other, so it felt more like a real fight with emotion and intensity behind it and not just a couple guys in suits attacking each other. This is something much of the fighting in the Godzilla movies in the MonsterVerse have lacked, and it was a refreshing change.

For me, the fact that there are Godzilla sized plot holes to expose if you really analyze this movie had no bearing on being able to enjoy it. Think of this entire movie as the oxygen tank blow up ending to JAWS. Do these things make any sense? Could they really happen? Not a chance in hell. Was it extremely satisfying and entertaining to see? Absolutely.

My overall opinion, if you love these monsters and their designs, and want to strap in for an exciting experience of them battle and causing mayhem, then sit down and watch this movie because you'll feel jacked up by the end. If you need something that mixes this with intellectual stimulation, stay away, this is pure dumb fun escapism at its finest.

So you loved it then. Good.

Personally, even my brief love affaire with these monsters a long time ago (before Star Wars), I never liked Kong much and felt he never fit into Godzilla's world. It was a weird American thing brought in. Not as bad as giant Japanese Frankenstein... but weird all the same.

I had higher hopes with Ghidorah's movie. Oh well. For me, so far, Skull Island has been the most entertaining of the bunch. I have not seen GvK yet though.

If they truly want a dumb monsterverse movie that is monstrously entertaining, then they need to remake a version of Destroy All Monsters. There is nothing like seeing 10 or 12 monsters on the screen and have them wreck havoc across the globe at every major city... and then having them battle Ghidorah and a couple extra villains for fun.

Last edited:
The problem is both Godzilla 2014 and Kong Skull Island were traditional movies. They had plots and human characters that drove the story as well as the monsters.

KOTM & GvK both had a poorly written story and plot, and the human characters were just awful and in some regards completely pointless. Only there to move the story along as narrators so we could see monsters destroying things and fighting each other.

I genuinely liked Godzilla and Kong Skull Island as good movies. I had "fun" watching KTOM & GvK, but they are bad movies. Entertaining and fun to watch, but bad movies. Fans of this genre can appreciate them. But the general movie going audience will find them pretty dumb and boring. That's why it's hard to keep this going. Taking out a quality story and quality human characters will make producing and continuing these big expensive blockbuster movies hard to do. Pandemic or no, this never would've been a high BO gross success. It's too niche. This is a movie that needs to rely on merch sales as well as BO dollars.

Well for starters, I feel that this movie was the most honestly marketed movie in the MonsterVerse.

Yes.. If you did not know what you were getting into after seeing Kong with a giant Dorsal plate axe, jumping off a building in slow mo at Godzilla, then I dont know what to tell you :lol :lol

Think of this entire movie as the oxygen tank blow up ending to JAWS. Do these things make any sense? Could they really happen? Not a chance in hell. Was it extremely satisfying and entertaining to see? Absolutely.

Lies.. LIES!!!! You need to take all of this back... Everything in JAWS is realistic and could happen.

So you loved it then. Good.

Personally, even my brief love affaire with these monsters a long time ago (before Star Wars), I never liked Kong much and felt he never fit into Godzilla's world. It was a weird American thing brought in. Not as bad as giant Japanese Frankenstein... but weird all the same.

I had higher hopes with Ghidorah's movie. Oh well. For me, so far, Skull Island has been the most entertaining of the bunch. I have not seen GvK yet though.

If they truly want a dumb monsterverse movie that is monstrously entertaining, then they need to remake a version of Destroy All Monsters. There is nothing like seeing 10 or 12 monsters on the screen and have them wreck havoc across the globe at every major city... and then having them battle Ghidorah and a couple extra villains for fun.

I thought Skull Island was the best of the bunch at one point also.. Then I fell out of love with it and kind of found it annoying.. But then I just watched it again before GvK and found my appreciation for it again.

GvK is my fav of the series but Kong SI is my 2nd fav.. Having said that.. The story in GvK is a lot dumber then Kong SI.

Lies.. LIES!!!! You need to take all of this back... Everything in JAWS is realistic and could happen.

:lol

The story in GvK is a lot dumber then Kong SI.

There's a story in Skull Island? I thought they just got shipwrecked on a mysterious island... and the girl only had a tank top to wear.

And the suspense came from whether that tank could survive all the running and falling without tearing or something slipping out. It was riveting.

:lol

There's a story in Skull Island? I thought they just got shipwrecked on a mysterious island... and the girl only had a tank top to wear.

And the suspense came from whether that tank could survive all the running and falling without tearing or something slipping out. It was riveting.

Yep... GvK is still a sillier story than that. :lol

I normally agree with this. I mean why does a Godzilla movie have to be dumbed down.

But then again when treated intelligently we end up with Shin and that was rather boring.

For me I was able to soak in the eye candy. Its not like KOTM or 2014 had these great plots in which to compare.

This one said.. Lets get rid of all human Drama.. Lets make one of the monsters the protagonist, and lets just push the plot forward on getting these two to fight.

This is basically a kids movie and I love it for that.

I actually want to watch it again.. its been a long time since I wanted to watch the same movie 3 times within a week. But its just such an easy watch.

Yes I absolutely have to turn off my brain and not ask questions.. And I am 100% fine with that for this film.. My inner child has been begging for a film like this and has been disappointed so many times in the past.

Am I more forgiving because all G movies get silly.. Yep and I am grateful that I am.

As for Josstice League.. I think that kind of why I liked it on first and 2nd viewing.. It was Super Friends.

In all honesty.. First time viewing.. I liked Josstice League much more the ZSJL. ZSJL is a much better film but I wonder how much more I would like Josstice League is they updated Steppenwolf, dropped some of the jokes, change the color timing and did not reshoot any Superman scenes so that the lip issue was not there.

I mean at least I would not have to listen to steppenwolf talk about where all the mother boxes were 15 times in the film. :lol

I wish they got rid of the human drama because what is there is atrocious they should’ve just eliminated that conspiracy plot entirely and really just made a 100% on monsters only movie like only show 6 humans max lol

lol @ Steppenwolf progress reports :rotfl

Yep... GvK is still a sillier story than that. :lol

:lol :lol

Back