Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought after looking at G2017 is: Is that Papa Dinosaur or he’s just bloated after being drowned?

This design is a pass for me. Dunno why they just followed G2014’s trend after not praising it at the time.

My first thought after looking at G2017 is: Is that Papa Dinosaur or he’s just bloated after being drowned?

This design is a pass for me. Dunno why they just followed G2014’s trend after not praising it at the time.

Lezzbehonest, 2014 is a superior design.

O idk. He looks boring in my opinion. Like some fat rotting tree. His face is weird and he just doesn’t look threatening. Godzilla 2014 wasn’t fat. Idk why people think this. He was wide

I dare to disagree: compared with Anigoji (as well as with Shingoji), the 2014 is pretty but boring (in aiming at a certain "realism" in design). Maybe it's a cultural thing: The Japanese Godzillas never aimed for realism in F/X and design. I see the 2017 design like a Japanese take on the 2014, re-inserting the more fantasy-over-realism-like approach to Godzilla designs in general. And that makes it - imho - more interesting.

Shin Godzilla is a great modern take on classic Godzilla aesthetics, and better than 2014. The concepts and details of 2017 Godzilla may be more interesting than 2014, but the body proportions look awful.

I hated the anime. Pure borefest and bland edgy crap.
But I really like that Godzilla's design. Much more than GINO14 and Shin.

The real problem with G2017, to me, isn't how similar to Earl Sinclair he is. It's his human legs. They should've been much bigger or at least go with his bloated stomach. The feet should've look like Dinosaur's too. I know it's pure fantasy anime but it just doesn't make any sense IMO such legs could support his weight. Thus making overall body proportions look awful regardless of being plot device or not.

G2014 worked for me because that's how a being that weight 10,000+ tons should've looked like in real life. Being a walking mountain or not, G2017 couldn't convinced me to believe so.

I didn't care for the animated movie or the design so everything related to it is an easy pass for me. I watched the movie just last week and was really bored with it.

Yeah, I don’t get calling G2014 a GINO, while it wasn’t necessarily the version of Godzilla many of us hoped for and expected based on trailers, his behavior was very much that of Godzilla from the late Showa films, and his appearance, while drawing from real animals, still feels very true to Godzilla, certainly just as much as a Godzilla with bark body and leave spines.

GINO stands for Godzilla in name only. That's what G14 fatso is. He has no relation to Japan in any way and not created as a response to unnatural human civilization. If GINO14 didn't look anything like Godzilla no one would defend it right now.

:lol

They took that odd looking pseudo-realistic design and made it full-fantasy cool.
The eyes is what sells it to me.

Godzilla never was just a prehistoric creature - he sure was based to degree on a prehistoric beast, but was by far more than just this: an atomic-age take on a dragon... and therefore more a (modern) mythical (or nightmare-ish) creature than a prehistoric one. And Godzilla (especially 54, 18) is and was a metaphor for the atomic horror - which is hardly based on anything prehistoric ;)

And Godzilla 2014 is none of the above btw.

Unless I missed something or don't remember the movie at all G2014 is 100% a prehistoric beast, so he's at least part of the above.

It's been a while and I don't know what is or isn't canon anymore, but wasn't Godzilla '54 a mutated T-Rex type dinosaur as shown in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah? I feel like you're mixing up the metaphorical and physical descriptions of Godzilla.

Spoilers... I guess?

G2014 is a prehistoric creature. Came from the age which radiation is somewhat much greater than today, also feeds on it. He has been hibernating under Mariana trench until he got disturbed by deep sea expedition in 1954. He secretly roams the earth ever since. Nuclear test in 1950s was an attempt to kill him but failed. He may be the last of his kind and lived for ten thousands of years, minus hibernating.

So G2014 is a prehistoric creature. Maybe even mutated by large sum of radiation he consumed. G2014 may not be as monstrous as G2016 but nothing about it felt out of place like Zilla IMO.

Back