Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not knowledgable enough of all the small Godzilla changes within each era to know how accurate each figure is, like I would be with a SW item, for example. I have heard the 2014 Neca is quite nice though. As adult collectors we get hooked on the presentation and at times mistake price point for quality. Perhaps that's what draws me to Monsterarts over Neca but I also know that Monsterarts is a dedicated line that will continue over the next few years while Neca may or may not continue to make their figures. Anyway, I'm happy with Tamashii.

I have both Neca and MonsterArts and enjoy them both for what they are. Neca also doesn't have the license to make any Toho monsters besides Godzilla, so that's something to keep in mind. I do enjoy taking my Neca figures down and posing them and stuff, though, and since they're cheaper I don't have to be as ocd about them.

Neca also has the advantage of using the 3D CGI model when prepping their 2014 figure where as everyone else is doing it by hand. If you take a step back, look how NECA's Godzilla 94 and 85 look. Those are hand sculpted by NECA. If they had done the same with their 2014 figure, it would look just as fugly/cartoony as their 94 & 85.

Neca is good, but not THAT good.....their godzillas, with the exception of 2014, are caricatures.
That said, so are the bandai America vinyls, but the bandai 2014 though sculpted with less finesse than the Japanese counterpart, has a more dynamic and aggressive sculpt.

I'm not knowledgable enough of all the small Godzilla changes within each era to know how accurate each figure is, like I would be with a SW item, for example. I have heard the 2014 Neca is quite nice though. As adult collectors we get hooked on the presentation and at times mistake price point for quality. Perhaps that's what draws me to Monsterarts over Neca but I also know that Monsterarts is a dedicated line that will continue over the next few years while Neca may or may not continue to make their figures. Anyway, I'm happy with Tamashii.

I've heard the argument of NECA using CGI model for their 2014 figure and that's why it's so good compared to the '94 and '84, and while there may be benefit of access to CGI material in the 2014, I'd also argue that the other Godzillas, for one reason or another, are just not up to NECA's typical product level. They can nail any Predator, and Alien, knock out all the Pacific Rim characters, nail almost any human, the classic Godzillas are just simply not their best work.

And the 2014 from SHMA not looking like the movie has nothing to do with the sculptor's abilities, Yuji Sakai has been capturing the subtle features of every Godzilla suit in various scales for years, if his inaccuracies in the 2014 are because he couldn't do the job, I would be SHOCKED, and I highly doubt it, the issues are not only missing details from the design, but adding ones that aren't even there at all. Even X-Plus' sculptor has taken liberties, though not as much, there's an artist who made a statue for Japanese theaters that took liberties, we're not talking like usual sculpt criticisms of oh they missed this or it's the wrong size, there's details added that no reference material out there shows, on top of blatant ones being missed. I'm not knocking the work of the Japanese artist and I'm not saying NECA is better them, I'm just saying NECA went for accuracy and delivered, the Japanese companies are putting their own spin on the design.

I like this tree ornament. :lol

image.jpg

Part of me really wants that ornament, the other part of me is like, I have the first American Greetings '54 which is an amazing ornament and not all that different from this one. If it were more unique I'd definitely want it without question.

As time goes on, I like my SHMA 2014 more and more over my NECA 2014. The spines are a huge upgrade, and even with the differences in the face, the texture on the SHMA just looks on a whole other level. The tail is great and I've come to really enjoy the paintjob more. If I'm completely strapped for cash then the NECA 2014 is way more rewarding than the other NECA Godzilla figures and a great option, but this is an expensive hobby. It's a hobby where you get what you pay for. I look forward to the X-Plus 2014 and it will probably make me 24 HTT NECA look subpar, even with the subtle differences. I love my NECA 2014 but it still looks like an actual toy next to my X-Plus figures.

I like this tree ornament. :lol

View attachment 153077

Part of me really wants that ornament, the other part of me is like, I have the first American Greetings '54 which is an amazing ornament and not all that different from this one. If it were more unique I'd definitely want it without question.

I picked up the the 2014 Godzilla ornament. It's a great little thing. The best part is at $17.99 plus tax the total came out to $19.54. When the guy said that number out loud I had a little moment :lol

I still think my looks different than everyone else's.

View attachment 153219

Looks like the ears might be too long. Not sure though

I went back to the basic godzilla atomic breath style effects lately, and decided to see what could be done about eliminating the need for the stand altogether.

It was pretty successful.

7JiIJY1.jpg

KMLpA78.jpg

Here's the album for SHMA Godzilla 94 and Rebirth Standless effect pieces - CanofBeams.com - Imgur

Here's an album for NECA 94 and 85 Custom effects for NECA Godzillas - canofbeams - Imgur

So far I've got them working fine for SHMA 94, rebirth, burning, 64, junior, comic con meltdown ver., and NECA 94 and 85.

Back