GG Obi-Wan Clone Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Hunky or DarkArtist could save this.

My eyes tell me the sculpt has changed, but I saw how Josh seemingly changed the sculpt of Hasbro's AOTC Kenobi's just by repainting. Holding his repaint and the original side-by-side, my wife refused to believe me that they were the same figure.

I think that Josh could restore this to its prototype glory, and, if I don't cancel, I may have to find out.

I didn't order this but I think compared to the prototype this looks like cheap garbage. Soo par for the course for GG. Look at all the detail that was lost in the hair, the goatee, the shinyness of the skin. This went from outstanding to hackish. What makes me giggle is that ... wasnt someone a few months ago using this Obi Wan as an example of why SS sucked so bad?

Memnoch21 said:
What makes me giggle is that ... wasnt someone a few months ago using this Obi Wan as an example of why SS sucked so bad?

You are correct, at least one person did state that the GG Obi-Wan was better after the production SSC Obi-Wan images emerged. Now looking at production to production, I think the SSC one is tops.

Memnoch21 said:
Look at all the detail that was lost in the hair, the goatee, the shinyness of the skin. This went from outstanding to hackish.

Yup, it's disastrous. I'm a big GG fan. One of the things that amazes me about their work is the likenesses. The recent Sam & Frodo in Orc armor Prototypes are amazing. But then, so was the Obi-Wan prototype. And the Qui-Gon Prototype.

I won't cancel. I just don't usually do that, the piece does still have merits, and I don't want to stick Bob with it anyway. But I wish they would make it right before shipping. The official pic is not as bad as the unofficial ones floating around, but there is no way to justify selling this item as the one we ordered. Quality control needs a rethink here.

The funny thing is that only a few months ago, the release of the animated Vader and Leia maquettes was postponed because the production pieces were not passing quality control. So they obviously pay attention. Why didn't the same thing happen this time?

tomandshell said:
The funny thing is that only a few months ago, the release of the animated Vader and Leia maquettes was postponed because the production pieces were not passing quality control. So they obviously pay attention. Why didn't the same thing happen this time?

Why, probably because they're ok with how it came out, just because we're not impressed doesn't mean they're not fine with it, look at the Qui-Gon bust, I don't know what the mindset of GG is anymore, cartoony human paint apps, Exclusives out the ass, I wonder if someone new came into power over there or something that we've never heard about.

Obi-Wanevolution.jpg

The one at SDCC had a messed-up cape (wasn't even attached!), and the face was actually closer to the production piece than to the prototype. Had a better paint job, though.

pickard said:
I think Hunky or DarkArtist could save this.

My eyes tell me the sculpt has changed, but I saw how Josh seemingly changed the sculpt of Hasbro's AOTC Kenobi's just by repainting. Holding his repaint and the original side-by-side, my wife refused to believe me that they were the same figure.

I think that Josh could restore this to its prototype glory, and, if I don't cancel, I may have to find out.

Thanks Pickard! I really would love the opportunity if you end up keeping this on order. I would certainly give it my all!! It may not save it and restore it back to it's original glory, but dammit we can come close! :lol

The lowering of the painted beard also adds to the elongated effect, making it look worse than it is. The nose unfortunately, can't do much there, but perhaps once the skin is salvaged, and the eyes, hair and beard... maybe it will all come together and look like Ewan again.

I hope I get the chance.... would be a very challenging project... and fun to boot. :D

paint can do a lot to change the appearance of a sculpt, whether deliberate (my Aragorn repaint, where I changed the apparent height of one of his eyes by changing where the paint went) or accidentally.... like this statue. Given a full head repaint (I know I know, you shouldn't have to.... I shouldn't have to resculpt my 12" SS figures but I do, lol) this figure would look a LOT better going from what I can tell from these photos.

Like Josh said, the lowered paint effects on the mustache at the front and the beard at the sides is making his face look longer

Now it may turn out that the sculpt IS different... I'm just saying I don't think it is

Back