Gandalf's Staff from The Hobbit: Noble Collection VS United Cutlery VS Weta

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL - yes, it seems you were being prophetic! :D

I just pre-ordered Radagast's staff! Since Weta apparently authorizes the full amount (gulp!) I'd have to wait a bit for that to fall off before ordering Gandalf's staff anyway.

I do agree that going with Weta seems like a no-brainer in terms of accuracy, you'd think. For the staff's and at this price point it works for me. At this point it's probably the construction that will determine it. Interesting to hear that fiberglass is better than resin, then? The shipping for Radagast's staff was pretty pricey ($33) so I'm guessing fiberglass is heavier, for certain.

One thing I just realized looking at Weta's pics... does Gandalf's staff in The Hobbit not have a crystal? I guess because NC is selling an illuminating version I assumed it did... and the UC pics are kind of hard to make out. But Weta's doesn't seem to have one.

Fiberglass is just usually a bit stronger, from what I understand. Poly-resin i think uses some fiberglass in it, if i remember.. but it isn't as strong as regular fiberglass? Anyone else know enough to chime in on that?

Weta keep the money on there for a few days, then they drop it off. So you should be fine getting gandalf in a few days, and it also has other versions out there, so it shouldn't sell out as quick as radagasts! But yeah, I shuddered a bit having them pre-auth my card a minute ago too.. haha

I do wish that they had nice plaques.. i love some of UC/NC's plaques and wall hangers.

None of the versions of gandy's have great pics that I have seen.. I know there is a "core" that looks whiter than the wood, but i'm not sure of a crystal. It can illuminate with power in the movie, but not sure if it actually has a crystal? I love the NC for lighting up, but I didn't know if it would look odd. Neither gandalf staff from NC or weta ship till close to summer, so I guess we will have to wait to see!

Re: Gandalf's Staff from The Hobbit: Noble Collection VS United Cutlery

Case in point - I have a couple of Atrim practical swords (look them up - they're amazing) and I paid about $220-250 for them each. Now these swords are fully functional, carbon steel bladed, and are designed for actual use; whether you use them for re-enactment combat or demonstrations.

Now with probably about $100-150 worth of mods you could get a serviceable Glamdring or Orcrist (though Orcrist might be a bit more tricky) that would also be of functional quality.

Er...the type of modification you are talking about would be very very extensive since both orcrist and glamdring have unique blade shapes. And you can't exactly modify a blade beyond inscribing stuff on the surface, changing its finish or maybe changing the cutting edge profile.

If you try, you'll just mess up the tempering of the blade and all the characteristics of it (hardness, flex, edge retention etc) and therefore render the sword no longer functional.

If you go get your own sword smith to custom make a sword to replicate orcrist or glamdring, you're going to pay easily $1000+ and the smith who is doing it will also be learning on the job due to the aforementioned unusual blade shape. I would presume they would have much more experience forging your usual European blades or oriental blades which is a whole different cattle of fish.

There is however one rather famous sword maker that does something quite similar to glamdring. I think it was an angus trim/Christian fletcher collaboration if i recall correctly. But IMO, it isn't as nice looking as the weta or even the united cutlery ones.

Last edited:
Here it is. Christian fletcher's maeglas. A nice sword to be fair, but I prefer Ben Wooten's design better. You be the judge.

shapeimage_2.png

By the way I apologise for derailing this thread a little. Just thought people who are interested in gandalf's staff may be interested in the glamdring options out there.

Er...the type of modification you are talking about would be very very extensive since both orcrist and glamdring have unique blade shapes. And you can't exactly modify a blade beyond inscribing stuff on the surface, changing its finish or maybe changing the cutting edge profile.

If you try, you'll just mess up the tempering of the blade and all the characteristics of it (hardness, flex, edge retention etc) and therefore render the sword no longer functional.

If you go get your own sword smith to custom make a sword to replicate orcrist or glamdring, you're going to pay easily $1000+ and the smith who is doing it will also be learning on the job due to the aforementioned unusual blade shape. I would presume they would have much more experience forging your usual European blades or oriental blades which is a whole different cattle of fish.

There is however one rather famous sword maker that does something quite similar to glamdring. I think it was an angus trim/Christian fletcher collaboration if i recall correctly. But IMO, it isn't as nice looking as the weta or even the united cutlery ones.

I'm not talking about a custom $1,000 sword, I'm talking about a mass produced item in the $400-450 range that has more durability than a UC stainless steel wallhanger. And, yes you can get inscribing and shape design on a carbon blade and still have it retain the same properties. I don't think you're giving those bladesmiths their credit - this isn't that hard to do. The Fletcher sword you posted is pretty close to what we're talking about.

And, yes you can get inscribing and shape design on a carbon blade and still have it retain the same properties. I don't think you're giving those bladesmiths their credit - this isn't that hard to do.

Well as far as I'm aware, once a sword blade has been ground out/hammered out, that is it. If you want to do any further extensive modification like turning a classical European hand and a half sword into a leaf shaped blade like glamdring, then that would either involve heating/hammering (which would affect the temper) or grinding (which will affect the structural integrity of the blade). At that point, you might as well just start from scratch and make a new blade.

Radagast staff--ordered!

'Fiberglass' means we'll be able to use this piece as an actual walking stick. Sweetness.

Radagast staff--ordered!

'Fiberglass' means we'll be able to use this piece as an actual walking stick. Sweetness.

It would be funny if while walking with this staff that the birds start following you pooping on your head:ent:gandalf

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up going with UC. Should be shipping soon! :)

That's a pretty good price and edition size.

Ordered! :rock

Both???

I tool the plunge on Radagast staff seeing on how Gandalf staff is available elsewhere, WETA is popping out some really, REALLY nice stuff here. I see the next 3 years as expensive ones!!

Both???

I tool the plunge on Radagast staff seeing on how Gandalf staff is available elsewhere, WETA is popping out some really, REALLY nice stuff here. I see the next 3 years as expensive ones!!

Yeah both, I didn't do my research first and it was an impulse buy. :slap :lol

I'm assuming I could always cancel?

Just send Darren an email and its done, love that Weta still doesn't charge NRDs for most items.

Considering I don't really have much Weta stuff anymore as my focus is pretty much solely on Sideshow LotR (or Hobbit) PF's. Even though the UC Gandalf is cheaper and looks pretty good based on your pictures Adolfo, I think I'll keep this order for sentimentality since it's made by Weta.

Although as usual, I always reserve the right to change my mind. :lol

One thing I don't like though is Weta actually charged my credit card rather than doing a pre-authorization which caused VISA security to put a hold on my card until I approved it. This was a major problem because I got a call from my wife while I was at work trying to find out why the credit card was declined while she was at the mall and that's not good for anybody. :rotfl

Fritz, so you know, weta doesn't charge you. A lot of weta fans run into this as an issue.. what happens is the bank of nz thing they go through is odd. Some people they will authorize with just a simple check, others, especially those of us not in NZ I guess, get the pre-auth that turns into a lengthy charge. According to Weta and that bank though, it is not them that holds the money and charges it for so long. It's actually US, and other banks that do so, most likely because it is a foreign charge issue. It's a very odd situation. Pressure is being put on weta to change it, but until then, yes, if you pre-order weta, do it with a card you don't need to use right away. Most of the time the charge falls of in a few days. But if you don't know about it, it is very scary.

This became a big issue when most of us pre-ordered Barad-Dur..

at 700.. that was quite the shocker to see just pop up there as charged, despite it being a preorder!

I'm surprised at how long the charge is sticking around, to be honest. I expected 2-3 days and we're now into the 4-5 days territory. It's not a HUGE deal. But mildly annoying. I guess now I know! LOL.

To a better view...:

The Noble Collection
GANDALF Illuminating Staff
Full size, authentic illuminating prop replica. Measures approx. 73 inches in height. Ships Spring 2013.
US$159.00 + Shipping

NN1247L.jpg
NN1247M.jpg

Weta
Availability: Pre-order Now. Shipping Q2 2013
Edition Size: 1000
Dimensions: 74.4" x 3.5" x 3.1" (H x W x D)
189 cm x 9 cm x 8 cm
Weight: 7.9 lbs (3.6 kg)
US$179.00 + Shipping

United Cutlery
Gandalf’s staff appears to be a natural piece of wood, but the crown of the shaft holds something supernatural. Within the crown, the wood has grown around a hollow, white lattice-shaped bulb. The lattice is vaguely Elven in design, and holds a great power. This authentically detailed replica is a reproduction casting of the actual filming prop built by the production Art Department in New Zealand and used in the motion picture, THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY. United Cutlery, industry leader in fine movie reproductions, has meticulously recreated the prop using only the finest grade materials and craftsmanship. Close attention to coloring and detail was a top priority. The polyresin Staff is 73” overall, featuring finely cast details and authentic hand painted coloring. It is presented with an Elven styled wall display featuring Gandalf’s “G” rune, and includes a certificate of authenticity.

$(KGrHqN,!lEFBLN6t90vBQbd4MgnwQ~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqJ,!j!F!d3,3KdSBQbd4DMUt!~~60_12.JPG

Back