Game of the Year 2010 SSF - A discussion and retrospective

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I have a game of the year for 2010. Every game I bought fell short of my expectations...BioShock 2, Other M, Red Dead Redemption, DKC Returns, SMG 2, and so on.

There were a few I as pleasantly surprised with like Bayonetta, Limbo, and Blur...but nothing GOTY worthy.

I actually found Bayonetta to be a a let down. But that's just my opinion.

Here are my choices

GOTY : God of War III

Runners up : Heavy Rain, Castlevania LOS, NFS Hot Pursuit

Game that surprised me : Spider Man : SD

Best soundtrack: GOW III, NFS: Hot Pursuit

Very hard for me to come up with something. There were many great games, but nothing really sticks out that really "wowed" me for GOTY.
If I had to pick one it would be a tie between Mass Effect 2 and God of War III. Not far behind them would be Reach and Black Ops.

Tried it, hated it. Not even worth getting cheap off Amazon.

No offense but is it cause you didn't do well? The weight of the player, gun, etc is much different than say COD. Not to mention the guns are far more accurate and kills are more legit than COD. Seriously, this is one of the best military shooters I've ever played. I'd take it over any CoD game everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

My personal opinion. People who don't like Battlefield BC2 is because they tend need what CoD offers to be good at a military shooter.

GOTY: Mass Effect 2

Exciting story and characters that I cared about. Excellent RPG with moral questions that really made me stop and think about how I wanted to proceed and what the ramifications of my actions might be. It was challenging and a thrill to play. It was also nice to get the backstories on all the characters - which helped you build a team of people you cared about and wanted to succeed. These people would have your back - and there are not too many games that make you not only care about your character - but also of all those fighting beside you.

A VERY CLOSE Runner up:
RDR -- beautiful story - again with a main character that really moved me - and what an ending. For me this game was so much better than the GTAs. It had way more of an emotional punch for me and I would have given anything to change the fate of Marston....though it was that fate and those final scenes as Marston that made the game so spectacular and unforgettable.

No offense but is it cause you didn't do well? The weight of the player, gun, etc is much different than say COD. Not to mention the guns are far more accurate and kills are more legit than COD. Seriously, this is one of the best military shooters I've ever played. I'd take it over any CoD game everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

My personal opinion. People who don't like Battlefield BC2 is because they tend need what CoD offers to be good at a military shooter.

I didn't like how it felt and handled, way too sluggish yet arcade like. Any shooter that changes the control set up of the COD series is inferior anyway. The way it all flows is much more natural than the jumping and melee of BC as well as the slower handling.

GOTY: Mass Effect 2

Exciting story and characters that I cared about. Excellent RPG with moral questions that really made me stop and think about how I wanted to proceed and what the ramifications of my actions might be. It was challenging and a thrill to play. It was also nice to get the backstories on all the characters - which helped you build a team of people you cared about and wanted to succeed. These people would have your back - and there are not too many games that make you not only care about your character - but also of all those fighting beside you.

A VERY CLOSE Runner up:
RDR -- beautiful story - again with a main character that really moved me - and what an ending. For me this game was so much better than the GTAs. It had way more of an emotional punch for me and I would have given anything to change the fate of Marston....though it was that fate and those final scenes as Marston that made the game so spectacular and unforgettable.

I couldn't get past the gameplay of Mass Effect 1 and 2 which felt too sluggish to me, I got feed up with targeting and shooting system and just gave up.

And RDR story moved so slow it just ended up as the same few random tasks of GTA around town, but set in the old west instead of a modern day city.

I didn't like how it felt and handled, way too sluggish yet arcade like. Any shooter that changes the control set up of the COD series is inferior anyway. The way it all flows is much more natural than the jumping and melee of BC as well as the slower handling.

Well, I guess it feels slow and sluggish cause its a bit more realistic cause you character doesn't move 9k miles an hour. Sorry man. I'd say maybe you're just not good at it and its not inferior because of the change in setup. I've played both and do pretty well at both (better on Battlefield) and can handle both control set up quite easily. I don't run around jumping much in BC2 and don't see many doing it either. The melee seems pretty easy to do in both of the honestly.

Another thing that I like more about BC2 over COD games is you actually have to work as a team. If you don't you will get ran over before you know it.

Well, I guess it feels slow and sluggish cause its a bit more realistic cause you character doesn't move 9k miles an hour. Sorry man. I'd say maybe you're just not good at it and its not inferior because of the change in setup. I've played both and do pretty well at both (better on Battlefield) and can handle both control set up quite easily. I don't run around jumping much in BC2 and don't see many doing it either. The melee seems pretty easy to do in both of the honestly.

Another thing that I like more about BC2 over COD games is you actually have to work as a team. If you don't you will get ran over before you know it.

I never played online I just gave the campaign a play, it's not that I'm not good...because anyone can adapt to a new control and put a lot into a game. It's that I had no interest after the less than stellar gameplay and sluggish controls.

The KZ2 controls were realistic but they didn't affect me at all I really enjoyed how that handled. Maybe it's because they felt like a cheap knock off of COD games?

I have to disagree with not liking a game just because you "don't do well" at it.

I've played games that I'm decent at, but still don't like. I only played the demo for the Bad Company game and honestly could not stand it. I didn't like how it felt or acted at all. I wasn't going to drop $60 on something I could tell I already didn't like.

Would I have been good or bad? Who knows because I didn't buy it, but the demo was enough to know I didn't care for the game play.

It's not always a matter of "something sucks because I suck at it". I am not great at the COD games at all, but I still like them.

I never played online I just gave the campaign a play, it's not that I'm not good...because anyone can adapt to a new control and put a lot into a game. It's that I had no interest after the less than stellar gameplay and sluggish controls.

The KZ2 controls were realistic but they didn't affect me at all I really enjoyed how that handled. Maybe it's because they felt like a cheap knock off of COD games?

Well, then thats more on you than the game for not giving online a shot. We have to disagree the the controls are sluggish they're equally as smooth for me on the 360 as they are for COD on the same system.

I haven't played KZ2 yet so I can't say.

I have to disagree with not liking a game just because you "don't do well" at it.

I've played games that I'm decent at, but still don't like. I only played the demo for the Bad Company game and honestly could not stand it. I didn't like how it felt or acted at all. I wasn't going to drop $60 on something I could tell I already didn't like.

Would I have been good or bad? Who knows because I didn't buy it, but the demo was enough to know I didn't care for the game play.

It's not always a matter of "something sucks because I suck at it". I am not great at the COD games at all, but I still like them.

I didnt say always. Though, I stand by what I said because I think more often than not with people thats what it comes down to. Could be just me though.

Here are some great games I played this year:

Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
Bayonetta
Castlevania: LOS
Vanquish
Donkey Kong Country: Returns
Black Ops
God of War 3
Halo: Reach

You have the usual suspects but for me, one game really stood out in trying to do something different and nailing it and that was Heavy Rain.
Iv never played a game where im actually made to feel guilty about my decisions.
No one seems to have mentioned a cracking little game that is Limbo. I know its an arcade game but what a game it is.

My 3 would be:
1 heavy rain
2 bad company 2
3 red dead redemption

It kind of makes me bummed that there wasn't one game I played this year that stood above the rest. A lot of sequels that were just more of the same really, from BioShock 2, to Mario Galaxy 2.

There were a lot of solid games but nothing great, nothing that really said here I am game of the year!

Back