Gaiman's American Gods (Starz)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just so happy Peter Stormare is in this. He's been my favorite part so far.

The casting for this show is absolutely spot on, but Stormare is right up there as one of the best. Exactly how I always pictured the character.

Agreed. "Is good" :rock

Even Mr Nancy. When I first heard they cast Orlando Jones I thought "wait really?..." but he's been great so far. Killed his first scene

Who would'be believed? Gillian Anderson was also ****ing excellent in episode 2.

I can't think think of a weak link in the cast, honestly. I'd never heard of Ricky Whittle before this show, and, looking at the rest of the cast, McShane, Stormare, Jones, ****ing Cloris Leachman; I was kind of wondering how he would do, but he's been pretty damn good, this far. I really enjoy Pablo Schreiber as Mad Sweeney, too.

Out of curiosity, did you find the two, quite lengthy sex scenes with Bilquis, triggering or uncomfortable or unnecessary as well? Insofar as the gay sex scene not adding anything to the story, would you make the same point about Bilquis's scenes?

I found the first sex scene with Bilquis a little too long as well, but it was making a point to show how she is "eating" people who she gets to worship her. When they showed a montage of her doing it again the next episode, I found that completely redundant and unnecessary.

I don't want to sound like a prude, but I guess I've just outgrown the desire to see that kind of stuff in a television show. As I said before, I have no problem with gay guys having sex but that doesn't mean I want to watch it. There's plenty of things I don't like to see. I don't mind violence but I can't stand excessive gore. I hate scenes showing open heart surgery or dental stuff. It started getting uncomfortable as the sex scene got more and more graphic, and that made me more aware of just how LONG it was going on, to the point where I said "Why am I sitting through this? I'm not enjoying this."

Oh, and as for me saying trigger warning, that was a joke. Also a reference to Gaiman's book of the same name.

I haven't seen the whole episode yet, but I tracked down the scene after hearing so much about it and... eh. I was expecting some 10" monster **** and **** closeups or something. It was uncomfortable in the same way all sex scenes are uncomfortable. It had close-ups, ominous music, "sensual foreplay". I got the same feeling of uneasiness with the Bilquis ones. I kept waiting for him to starting bashing his head in or something. To be honest, I was more puzzled by the fact that none of them wore a condom. "Hey taxi driver I just met whose eyes glow, just **** me up dry". No lube, no protection, nothing... STDs are still a thing you know...

PS: That imagery was straight-up Smallwood's Moon Knight art. Fuller Moon Knight show when?

The show made the sex scene more graphic than the book but it served the same purpose. In thanks for worshipping him, the Jinn provided Salim with a new path as an immigrant in America that freed him from his horrible salesman job and expectations of his family. It's a better deal than Bilquis offers. :lol I'm interested in seeing what happens with the Jinn later. Since he met with Wednesday at the diner in the second episode he'l probably have some part to play later on in the season. Also, if you noticed in that episode, in the diner Shadow walks past the Jinn wearing Salim's suit which was a cool foreshadowing moment.

excellent catch GZL about the Diner.Man' that is what is totally interesting about this show.Little revelations all over the place.

Digging this so far. it's strange in a good way. BTW Erika Kaar who played The Midnight Star is beautiful!!
Erika_Kaar.jpg

I haven't seen the whole episode yet, but I tracked down the scene after hearing so much about it and... eh. I was expecting some 10" monster **** and **** closeups or something. It was uncomfortable in the same way all sex scenes are uncomfortable. It had close-ups, ominous music, "sensual foreplay". I got the same feeling of uneasiness with the Bilquis ones. I kept waiting for him to starting bashing his head in or something. To be honest, I was more puzzled by the fact that none of them wore a condom. "Hey taxi driver I just met whose eyes glow, just **** me up dry". No lube, no protection, nothing... STDs are still a thing you know...

Well the thing is, you heard about it, got expectations, went out and found the clip, and watched it without context. The whole reason it was so jarring to me was because of how shoehorned in it was in the terms of the hour long drama. If you were watching the episode, really into the story and wanting to see what happens next, and then this interlude/tangent comes out of nowhere and takes a good portion of screen time showing these guys thrusting, etc. it's different than just watching the isolated scene.

Anyway, we've beaten it into the ground so that's the last I'll say about it. But I'm sure we can expect more of these kinds of scenes throughout of the rest of the season, cause apparently Starz has to "out-HBO" HBO or something.

Well the thing is, you heard about it, got expectations, went out and found the clip, and watched it without context. The whole reason it was so jarring to me was because of how shoehorned in it was in the terms of the hour long drama. If you were watching the episode, really into the story and wanting to see what happens next, and then this interlude/tangent comes out of nowhere and takes a good portion of screen time showing these guys thrusting, etc. it's different than just watching the isolated scene.

Anyway, we've beaten it into the ground so that's the last I'll say about it. But I'm sure we can expect more of these kinds of scenes throughout of the rest of the season, cause apparently Starz has to "out-HBO" HBO or something.

Eh, I didn't find the sex-scene itself shoe-horned. Maybe the build-up to it. Plus, no protection. Not to mention that the salesman was probably doing **** for the first time. And in comes the jinn with his big **** and the bottom just takes it all? Now that part was unrealistic. I mean, his ******* probably got wrecked in there...

Anyway, all that aside, I'm really enjoying this. Great cinematography, colourful visuals, entertaining characters, and an interesting story.

PS: I hope Brown Mexican Jesus, Black African Jesus & Swarthy Greek Jesus appear and get into a Death Battle with White Jesuit Jesus. Dress them up in "stereotypical clothing" for maximum keks.

excellent episode, but I really miss the mystical Gods intro they have been giving us.

Spoiler Spoiler:

have to watch this one again.

Well... Ep.4 was a huge waste of time alright... And damn, is Laura one of the most ****** characters in fiction. Can we get a graphic death scene of her or something?

Well... Ep.4 was a huge waste of time alright... And damn, is Laura one of the most ****** characters in fiction. Can we get a graphic death scene of her or something?

This weeks episode was a good one. Between this, Twin Peaks, and Silicon Valley. Sunday is the night for great TV. And yes, Laura is very annoying. I'm beginning to really hate her.

real happy they went back to the mystical Gods intro..

I have to agree Laura needs to be done with but I don't think that will happen soon.I did like the way she handled Mad Sweeney in this episode.

Interesting role for Crispin Glover as Mr World.We got to understand how heavy Mr Wednesday actually is.And Media setting the Technical Boy straight when he laughs that not everyone believed in her story about the Martian panic.And she says not everyone had to.Pretty much showed the significance of Shadow and that all it takes is one believer.

Good stuff.

Maybe Mr. Green will decides to pay for this streaming one day soon. As for now, reviews are good on these 4 episode so far.

This is growing on me.
At first I didn't really like Starz aesthetic, the saturated colours, the over-the-top Spartacus-type blood and guts... and the cast didn't really impress me much either. Shadow didn't seem to have the charisma needed for the role (none of them, actually... except maybe Wednesday).
But now, into episode 5, I'm really digging the characters.
Episode 4 seemed like filler material until
Spoiler Spoiler:
that was absolutely brilliant!
Laura does get on my nerves, but I also liked how she dealt with Leprechaun.
And Crispin Glover and Gillian Anderson are both brilliant in their roles.

I'm still really enjoying this series. This is the only show that I'm watching every week and not letting the episodes build up on my DVR. :lol I wish it was on Netflix so I could binge the whole season now. Episode four was my least favorite of the five, but even it had some great moments.

Back