Gaiman's American Gods (Starz)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victοr

BANNED
Reaction score
2017%2F4%2F26%2F2c47fce2-e5f4-40cb-89f8-719172ad6732.jpg

So, anybody watched this? I'm about 5 minutes in and... man, it's gory. Like, B-Movie Slasher "wacky cartoon physics" gory. I'll keep watching 'cause I've loved everything Gaiman has written, but it's definitely taking an... interesting, approach.

PS: My only gripe is that there are no Roman/Greek gods in this. Like, I get the why, what with the whole "immigrants bringing their gods with them" bit, but it's strange seeing every pantheon, except this one... Someone like Morpheus better show up! (he won't, but...)!

EDIT: I've reached the Bilquis scene... What the...

If you haven't read the book, then I suggest you do because it's funny how the crazy **** just starts to make sense in the world that Gaiman builds. :lol I've read the book a few times and still haven't gotten tired of the characters or the story. I haven't watched the first episode yet, but it sounds like they kept in some stuff that I wasn't expecting them to--which is awesome. I'll let a few episodes record then binge watch them.

I am super stoked for this show! I can't say that I know much about Gaiman's books or anything. All I know is based on things I have read about the shows which mentions the books. But, based on what I have heard, I think this will one of my next series to get into. I will have to wait though, as I don't have cable or satellite. I hope it will hit Netflix. I will binge this for sure. If not, I can buy it on BR or DVD. The one review I have read gave it high praises. I'm sold!

EDIT: The fact that Ian McShane is in this is reason enough to watch it.

If you haven't read the book, then I suggest you do because it's funny how the crazy **** just starts to make sense in the world that Gaiman builds. :lol I've read the book a few times and still haven't gotten tired of the characters or the story. I haven't watched the first episode yet, but it sounds like they kept in some stuff that I wasn't expecting them to--which is awesome. I'll let a few episodes record then binge watch them.

It's in my "to read" list, alongside Dune and a couple of others. I'm familiar with Gaiman's weirdness through the comics, but I never thought they'd do all that crazy stuff in a tv show. Either way, I liked it. A lot. Neil said that if it does good it might lead to a Sandman series, so I'm pretty pumped.

I am super stoked for this show! I can't say that I know much about Gaiman's books or anything. All I know is based on things I have read about the shows which mentions the books. But, based on what I have heard, I think this will one of my next series to get into. I will have to wait though, as I don't have cable or satellite. I hope it will hit Netflix. I will binge this for sure. If not, I can buy it on BR or DVD. The one review I have read gave it high praises. I'm sold!

One thing is for sure, the cinematography is excellent. It feels more like a big budget film rather than a tv series. It can get weird, especially if you've read anothing Gaiman related, but it was a darn good pilot.

Legion this and Punisher were my most anticipated shows going into the year. Both Legion and this turned out great (hey, it might be just one Ep. but you can clearly see the quality), so I'm now waiting for Punisher to be the Netflix GOAT.

It's in my "to read" list, alongside Dune and a couple of others. I'm familiar with Gaiman's weirdness through the comics, but I never thought they'd do all that crazy stuff in a tv show. Either way, I liked it. A lot. Neil said that if it does good it might lead to a Sandman series, so I'm pretty pumped.

Sandman would be great to see live-action, but I'd be really worried about them watering it down. If it can't be done right, then that's one I'd rather they left alone. Everything I've seen about American Gods looks like they're staying pretty true to the book though so maybe Sandman would get the same treatment.

One thing is for sure, the cinematography is excellent. It feels more like a big budget film rather than a tv series. It can get weird, especially if you've read anothing Gaiman related, but it was a darn good pilot.

Legion this and Punisher were my most anticipated shows going into the year. Both Legion and this turned out great (hey, it might be just one Ep. but you can clearly see the quality), so I'm now waiting for Punisher to be the Netflix GOAT.

That is fantastic to hear. It seems that this series is going to rely a lot on the atmosphere for the world building, so I am very pleased to hear that the cinematography is pristine.

So you saw its weird... Is there anything else weird that you think is comparable? Weird can be fantastic, when done right of course. I think that is the case with this.

I am excited too for Punisher and Legion. I like Dan Stevens a lot. I saw him first in Downton Abbey (wife got me into the show), and I liked what I saw. I hope Legion will hit Netflix. When does Punisher drop?

Sandman would be great to see live-action, but I'd be really worried about them watering it down. If it can't be done right, then that's one I'd rather they left alone. Everything I've seen about American Gods looks like they're staying pretty true to the book though so maybe Sandman would get the same treatment.

I've not read the book, but the first episode was gory (the opening scene was bordering on "wacky" physics) and strange, so I could see them translating Sandman well enough. It's worht pointing out that both Gaiman and Levit walked when WB wanted to water it down, so if Gaiman's already talking with the AG Show people, he probably thinks they can adapt the source material well enough. The only downside is that since Lucifer is already airing as a poor man's cop show, we probably won't get that made. Then again, it'll be a few years until Sandman happens (if it does), and a couple more until it reaches that story-line, so by that point Fox's Lucifer might be a distant memory.

That is fantastic to hear. It seems that this series is going to rely a lot on the atmosphere for the world building, so I am very pleased to hear that the cinematography is pristine.

So you saw its weird... Is there anything else weird that you think is comparable? Weird can be fantastic, when done right of course. I think that is the case with this.

I am excited too for Punisher and Legion. I like Dan Stevens a lot. I saw him first in Downton Abbey (wife got me into the show), and I liked what I saw. I hope Legion will hit Netflix. When does Punisher drop?

Well, most of Gaiman's comic book work is about taking abstract entities and protraying them both far removed, and close to humanity. He doesn't deal with ancient aliens, and goes full mythology, but manages to put all of that in a modern setting. I can't really bring up many examples without spoiling the comics, but there's one that I liked:

Lucifer gets tired of governing hell, so he empties his realm. Morpheus comes to ask him a question (more or less), and he and Lucifer take a walk through certain ares of the now empty Hell in case someone's been left behind. They come across an old man, filled with chains and hooks, nailed to an ox-like creature. Lucifer commands him to leave, yet he persists. He lists his heinous crimes and and shouts that he deserves to be here. He goes on and on, detailing all of his acts and shouting his name. In the end, Lucifer interrupts him and bluntly tells him that none of it matters. Nobody remembers him. His crimes, his country, his time all have been erased. He's not some historical figure worthy of punishment, he's just another sinner. And he makes him go "poof" as well.

Afterwards, he introduces the notion that Hell isn't where the "sinners" go because an almighty God judges them. They go there because, in the back of their heads, they know they deserve it. They long for punishment so that they can feel redeemed.

Like I said, it's not anything "weird", but it was the first bit that jumped to mind that didn't really spoil much, and shows how Gaiman tackles such legendary beings.

As for Punisher, it should be out around November or so.

This was FUN. And yeah it's weird, but it's based on a book so I know where it's going, so I don't feel "cheated" like the weirdness om Legion and Mr Robot.

And is it just timely cause Twin Peaks is coming back, but was there that ever so subtle flash of Twin Peaks weirdness sprinkled through the episode?

My favorite bit was the brawl with Mad Sweeney. Don't know where they found these guys but the cast is excellent. (And I never even pictured Shadow as a black guy when I read the book...what? almost 20 years ago now!)

Had to roll my eyes at a review on some tv site/turned SJW fest that shows how "problematic" is still is in the current year for a black man to get help at an airport but a white guy got right on to first class. Uh, he used magic dip ****. Airports suck for everyone, even white people if your little brain can handle that. And of course, what was beyond the realm of problematic was a black guy getting lynched at the end of the episode. Yeah, we're not blind. We know obvious racial violence scenes were they exist. Unlike where they don't, like the airport scene.

Anyway digressing away from social justice bloggers that were probably in primary school when the book was published, this was a good episode of television. Kind of sent by signals right at the beginning that this wants to draw Game of Thrones sized numbers. Some of it was a little too "try hard" for me but overall I still liked it and will watch the whole series.

Would have been tonight's best hour of television but Billions was a dooozy this week.

Well enjoyed ep1 immensely - it definitely manages to capture the off-kilter tone of the novel! I had only one gripe about the adaptation so far (which I have to admit is an excellent hitrate for a novel adaptation) - and predictably it was Bilquis's introduction:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Looking forward to the rest of it, especially Mr Nancy's intro!

I knew nothing of this going in, but it looked interesting from the previews and I'm going into it as a blank slate. I knew how things were going to go from the impact of the last arrow in the opening sequence. I actually laughed out loud at that. I'm in it 'til the end now. This, Legion, and Preacher are all very irreverent and entertaining.
Ryan

I tried to read the book in college but it
Got too weird and halfway through i just didnt understand it anymore. It got too abstract. I didnt like how different people had different souls or personalities or stuff inside one body. It got too weird for me.

But the show ill be able to understand better. Im happy for this

pretty good episode 1.Loved the Viking intro,it was exceptional.

My favorite scene
Spoiler Spoiler:
Yetide Badaki was most excellent as Bilquis.Also the entire bar scene between Shadow and Mad Sweeney was very cool.

Ian McShane is a very good actor, just he's the same guy in everything he does.But then maybe this is exactly what they wanted.So he's then perfect for the part.

Episode II ...really love the intro's they are doing for this series,very creative in political and cultural commentary.Jones monologue on the Dutch Slaver in this episode was brilliant.

Also enjoyed the 'I love Lucy' tidbit.

Nice to see Emily Browning and Gillian Anderson.Cloris Leachman was outstanding as Zorya and Stormare's Czernobog was great.What about the girl in the kitchen with Cloris she had so much to say without saying anything.This episode got a little slow in the second half.But there is so much depth in these characters even the slow scenes are great because they are filmed with so much detail they really add to the story.

Thumbs up for this series so far.

TRIGGER WARNING!

Episode three featured a rather graphic and unnecessarily LONG gay sex scene.

I think the majority of Americans at this point have no problems with gay people, and encourage them to marry, have families, etc. From the time I was a kid in the early 80s I've only ever been taught messages of tolerance and acceptance towards gay people.

But that doesn't mean I want to sit through minutes and minutes of gay sex in a TV, especially when it has nothing to add to the story. All we needed to know is that they boned. It was obvious. We don't need to see it draaaggg on and on.

I guess this show is desperate to prove how edgy and progressive it is. But the gay percentage is still a very tiny tiny fragment of the population. I just don't see what the purpose of shoehorning it in to every "adult" program (like GoT) is.

And obviously I sound like a grumpy old man here but I think there's a big difference between having gay characters on shows or even having shows revolving around gay characters (Will and Grace) and shoehorning in graphic, extended sex scenes intended for an audience that is most likely going to be uncomfortable with it.

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone. It's not normal for me to be "triggered" by anything, but this scene really stood out to me as unnecessary.

I do agree the sex scene between the Jinn, Mousa Kraish and Salim, Omid Abtah was too long.And I feel sorry for anyone who tuned it to American Gods for the first time.
But I think we are dealing with the struggle for belief between the old gods Anubis,Anansi,Bilquis etc. and the new gods Media and the Techinal Boy among others.The Old gods are struggling for relevence,working as prostitutes and cab drivers,looking for their place in this new world.And trying to find followers to believe in them and worship them.Hence the Bilquis scene in ep1 and the Jinn and Salim scene.While the new gods are progressing and thriving in the new modern age.
I think this is all setting up the showdown that has been brewing up between the New and Old gods.

These are episodes that for myself need to be viewed a couple of times because so much is going on.And much of it starts with the amazing intro's this show is throwing at us.

Zorya the midnight star sister reveals a lot to Shadow Moon and regardless of whether he understands it he's coming to understand there is more happening in the world around him than he actually perceives.The coins the sun and moon he is holding have clear power, what?I don't know yet.

next week looks real good.

TRIGGER WARNING!

Episode three featured a rather graphic and unnecessarily LONG gay sex scene.

I think the majority of Americans at this point have no problems with gay people, and encourage them to marry, have families, etc. From the time I was a kid in the early 80s I've only ever been taught messages of tolerance and acceptance towards gay people.

But that doesn't mean I want to sit through minutes and minutes of gay sex in a TV, especially when it has nothing to add to the story. All we needed to know is that they boned. It was obvious. We don't need to see it draaaggg on and on.

I guess this show is desperate to prove how edgy and progressive it is. But the gay percentage is still a very tiny tiny fragment of the population. I just don't see what the purpose of shoehorning it in to every "adult" program (like GoT) is.

And obviously I sound like a grumpy old man here but I think there's a big difference between having gay characters on shows or even having shows revolving around gay characters (Will and Grace) and shoehorning in graphic, extended sex scenes intended for an audience that is most likely going to be uncomfortable with it.

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone. It's not normal for me to be "triggered" by anything, but this scene really stood out to me as unnecessary.

Out of curiosity, did you find the two, quite lengthy sex scenes with Bilquis, triggering or uncomfortable or unnecessary as well? Insofar as the gay sex scene not adding anything to the story, would you make the same point about Bilquis's scenes?

I'm really confused by the trigger warning thing, as well. Like, what is it that you're worried it's going to trigger? A boner? Early onset gayness? Fond memories of that time you diddled your cab driver?:lol

Back