Frodo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sculpted the whole body as one piece, from the neck down to the ankles (as well as separate hobbit hands and the hairy feet). Hot Toys engineered the articulation. I also sculpted the Sam portrait, although I have no idea whether they used it on the final figure (hard to judge from the production pics). Did someone say Tim Miller sculpted the portraits? Perhaps he did a new version of Sam that was used on the production figures instead of the portrait I did...? I've been a little out of the loop. :eek:

Tim Miller is listed as the sculptor on Sam, and he looks very similar to Frodo and doesn't quite have your style on it Andy, so I'd say the went with his sculpt in the end.

Thanks for sharing on the body, it's interesting to learn how these things take place, I figured they'd devise the mechanics of the body first and then fashion anatomical pieces separately after the fact, cool to learn it was a solid body then broken down for articulation purposes. Hot Toys engineers must have a good grasp on body making if they can go about it that way.

After looking close at the Samwise sculpt I can see it's definitely not mine, Tim did a MUCH better job at capturing Sean Astin than I did. I give him major kudos for that, I remember struggling like crazy on that likeness (he's a tough one!).

And yeah, not enough praise can be said about Hot Toys. They are the bomb.

After looking close at the Samwise sculpt I can see it's definitely not mine, Tim did a MUCH better job at capturing Sean Astin than I did. I give him major kudos for that, I remember struggling like crazy on that likeness (he's a tough one!).

And yeah, not enough praise can be said about Hot Toys. They are the bomb.

Andy, what would you say was the biggest challenge with Sean's face, getting the weight just right so he didn't look fat but didn't look skinny?

Andy, what would you say was the biggest challenge with Sean's face, getting the weight just right so he didn't look fat but didn't look skinny?

For me, it wasn't the weight issue... It was his subtle features. His mouth for instance was VERY hard... There's nothing remotely exotic or distinct about his features, they are very smooth and plain-jane which makes it harder to capture. Not to mention the fact that the portrait was a good deal smaller than the typical 1/6 head I was used to sculpting, it threw me for a loop. :) Tim knocked it out of the park... Anyone who can nail Sam AND Frodo is a rock star in my book.

Tim knocked it out of the park... Anyone who can nail Sam AND Frodo is a rock star in my book.

Ya, Tim did a great job on Sam, it really has that look Sam had almost like he was always on the verge of crying but not hehe, and Frodo looks great, though I think the paint apps are hiding his effort a bit, but having seen the proto with the right paint apps, I know what he did. I can't wait to see his Gandalf, it sure looks great in the proto images.

Not to mention the fact that the portrait was a good deal smaller than the typical 1/6 head I was used to sculpting, it threw me for a loop. :)

I'd love to see your version of Sam, Andy. I don't own one of these, but from the pics, it looks like Sideshow chose to keep the heads the same as full sized 1:6 humans.

Yup they are smaller. I don't see how you can think otherwise looking at the nude Frodo pics. He looks perfectly in proportion.

OT:

Has anyone seen the bumper sticker "Frodo failed, Bush has the ring" ?

LOL i got a kick outta that today.

Do you guys think they can use this body for young Anakin? He was one tiny dude!

35587532.jpg

Like you said (or someone said) I think the neck wouldn't work for a child, but I think with the same body and different feet :)P) it would still work for Ani.

Yes, Maulfan mentioned something about a kid on steroids--made me spit soda out of my mouth. :lol

Last edited:
Tim did a great great job on Sam. I'd like to see your sculpt though Andy.

I think they could use the body for little annie. I don't see there being an issue for the kid.

I am here!!! Let us refer to the note on the the main Freaks page, shall we?
Lord of the Rings
Anything and everything pertaining to Lord of the Rings items - Premium Format, 1/6 figures, statues, busts, props , etc. Discussion of other manufacturers such as United Cutlery, Master Replicas, Noble Collection, ToyBiz, etc. is allowed.

Any Star Wars? No Star Wars! Get that right! (Although, mighty Darklord, with the imminent addition of The Hobbit, the title may need to be altered to include all of Tolkien's works, however much Lord of the Rings may cover. Also note the misspelling of manufacturers. Thank you)

I am here!!! Let us refer to the note on the the main Freaks page, shall we?

Any Star Wars? No Star Wars! Get that right! (Although, mighty Darklord, with the imminent addition of The Hobbit, the title may need to be altered to include all of Tolkien's works, however much Lord of the Rings may cover. Also note the misspelling of manufacturers. Thank you)

:lol You're so anal!

The Lord of the Rings threads deserves the best. I have sacrificed much to keep this place relatively normal and free from the mindless bickering that plagues some of the other threads. Good spelling is just one step towards that process. Besides, the mighty King Darkness appointed my his Royal Spell-Check long ago. I am only doing my duty. :monkey3

(by the way, when I'm being this picky, it's almost always done with a grain of salt - please never take me too seriously.)

:lol

Back