Frodo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like if the ring won't fit over the new chain then it's much too thick. I'll be looking for a silver chain that's much thinner than the gold one he comes with.

The new silver chain I found is just, and I mean just, a smidge to big to fit in the ring. I'm going to go back to Michaels and paw through the jewery section again to see if I can't find a suitable ring replacment. I'm thinking a gold ring that holds a charm on a necklace might work.
I had the perfect one last night that my wife gave me from an old charm, but I dropped it and can't fing the bugger now. The ring was to big, but I had cut it down and reshaped it. It would have been perfect, but now it's lost.

Makes me wonder if the ring had other plans.:ogat

The reason I'm so intent on using this silver chain, is not only is it silver, but the style of the links closely matches what was used in the film. If you guys remember the scene on Mt Cadras (spelling?) where Borormir holds up the ring by the chain, the rings were VERY round not oval or oblong. This silver chain I found is just like that. Besides I'm guessing a metal ring will hang better than the plastic one anyway.

For a great ring substitute, simply purchase a SS/Weta Sauron statue, cut off his "ring" finger (as Isildur did) and then dremel out the ring!

It's perfect! :monkey3

For a great ring substitute, simply purchase a SS/Weta Sauron statue, cut off his "ring" finger (as Isildur did) and then dremel out the ring!

It's perfect! :monkey3

Unfortunately I don't own Narsil or any other magical blade for that matter.:monkey5

That new chain looks great mudshark. Where'd you get it?

I picked it up in the modeling supplies section of a large hobby store in Osaka, but I'd guess you could find something like it at a hobby store that sells model railroad supplies, especially HO scale.

Edit: A place that sells wooden ship models would be an even better place to look.

Last edited:
That's cool Andy! No wonder it looks so good. The proportions are what's really amazing, turning full-sized human actors into hobbits! Here's a shot of Frodo alongside DiD's youth figure for proportional comparison.

P1010189.jpg

That's cool Andy! No wonder it looks so good. The proportions are what's really amazing, turning full-sized human actors into hobbits! Here's a shot of Frodo alongside DiD's youth figure for proportional comparison.

P1010189.jpg

You know I wonder if SSC has other necks for this body that aren't as thick, these work for hobbits because they're supposed to be somewhat in awkward proportions, but a regular human child might look like they're on steroids with a body that tiny and a neck that big.

Do you mean you sculpted the anatomy of the torso?

I sculpted the whole body as one piece, from the neck down to the ankles (as well as separate hobbit hands and the hairy feet). Hot Toys engineered the articulation. I also sculpted the Sam portrait, although I have no idea whether they used it on the final figure (hard to judge from the production pics). Did someone say Tim Miller sculpted the portraits? Perhaps he did a new version of Sam that was used on the production figures instead of the portrait I did...? I've been a little out of the loop. :eek:

Great looking basebody... Sideshow and Hot Toys did a bang-up job :rock Really hope they make this and the Prometheus available seperately at some point!

Did someone say Tim Miller sculpted the portraits? Perhaps he did a new version of Sam that was used on the production figures instead of the portrait I did...? I've been a little out of the loop. :eek:

From Sams specs on SSC.com:

Artists:

* Tim Miller
* Heath Hammond
* Tim Hanson
* Anthony Mestas
* Bernardo Esquivel
* Jesse Lincoln
* Jared Chapman
* Ray Cavaluzzi
* Kevin Ellis
* The Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team