freaks i could use some advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Aidan

Super Freak
Reaction score
ok yall i have some questions for you jedi masters of custom work

i want to build some more joes but i am at a loss on what is the best formula.

i would like to make torpedo and ripcord.

is it best to get veryhot kit sets or go a different route?

which bodys are overall the best?

thanks for helping me out with the noob question

chris

ok yall i have some questions for you jedi masters of custom work

i want to build some more joes but i am at a loss on what is the best formula.

i would like to make torpedo and ripcord.

is it best to get veryhot kit sets or go a different route?

which bodys are overall the best?

thanks for helping me out with the noob question

chris

You are going to find quickly that this is not a simple question to answer. With so many different companies doing this thing well and that thing...not so well...you will end up having to find most parts piece-by-piece. And the recipes for each will differ right down to what mannequin you use.

Trial and error will become your MO outside of hitting up threads for specific characters.

You are going to find quickly that this is not a simple question to answer. With so many different companies doing this thing well and that thing...not so well...you will end up having to find most parts piece-by-piece. And the recipes for each will differ right down to what mannequin you use.

Trial and error will become your MO outside of hitting up threads for specific characters.

Ok who is doing it well? no one likes to waste money. thanks for the reply

Quite frankly I don't believe you're being receptive to what Darth Cruel posted/suggested.

There is no set formula or ideal method or process because everyone has a different perspective & process on how to proceed and what parts to use for their own unique custom and/or kit bash figures.

I agree no one likes to waste money, but your follow up reply makes it sound you lack and/or have no patience for "trial & error" on something that does not have a set plan.

You want to know who is doing it well?

Peruse through the variety of threads within this section to get a feel for what others are doing.

NO ONE is going to personally instruct or tell you precisely what to do when it comes customizing. It is a learning process by "trial & error" and you need to find what works for you.

Members here will offer some guidance & suggestions, but don't expect everything to be spelled out exactly and handed over to you with ease which is how you're coming across that makes members less inclined to assist "noobs" like yourself. Besides, what if the set plan is not to your liking? What then? Are you going ask for another set plan?

Learn from this and take the suggestions; moreover, try some yourself and share. It's about the experience and actual process of doing/learning something new.

Quite frankly I don't believe you're being receptive to what Darth Cruel posted/suggested.

There is no set formula or ideal method or process because everyone has a different perspective & process on how to proceed and what parts to use for their own unique custom and/or kit bash figures.

I agree no one likes to waste money, but your follow up reply makes it sound you lack and/or have no patience for "trial & error" on something that does not have a set plan.

You want to know who is doing it well?

Peruse through the variety of threads within this section to get a feel for what others are doing.

NO ONE is going to personally instruct or tell you precisely what to do when it comes customizing. It is a learning process by "trial & error" and you need to find what works for you.

Members here will offer some guidance & suggestions, but don't expect everything to be spelled out exactly and handed over to you with ease which is how you're coming across that makes members less inclined to assist "noobs" like yourself. Besides, what if the set plan is not to your liking? What then? Are you going ask for another set plan?

Learn from this and take the suggestions; moreover, try some yourself and share. It's about the experience and actual process of doing/learning something new.

well thank you for the tough love!

I think that you're not understanding the basis for the comments offered.

You're asking the questions that many new collectors ask, and have been met with the same response they receive.

There's no set formula. These are to be the customs YOU make. You can through as little or much cash at parts as you want, but in the end, when looking at the figure, is it going to be "I put together this cool custom" or "this cost me $100+ to make"?

Why ask us if you're not going to take the bad with the good?

I have figures that I have dropped over $100 to put together, only to find a part later on that's cheaper but looks better.

They're going to be your figures. Build them the way you want.

i understand the good and bad. I am not butt hurt. i was seeking some info on which bodies to stay away from, or i have found that sideshow parts work well with... exc. i dont want a road map to a figure i want. i guess i was to vague with my first post.
i was not expecting hey noob go give your self a high five because you have no friends..

Bodies = ebay HT TT knockoffs

Torpedo, the suit has to be exact or else it's just a generic frogman. Someone suggested that Tony guy. Would prolly be $200 just for the suit. :lol Tanks would have to be custom built.

Ripcord, the chute packs that look close are pricey, at least $70ish. SS CG rifle can be used. A accurate camo outfit I haven't seen yet.

Bodies = ebay HT TT knockoffs

Torpedo, the suit has to be exact or else it's just a generic frogman. Someone suggested that Tony guy. Would prolly be $200 just for the suit. :lol Tanks would have to be custom built.

Ripcord, the chute packs that look close are pricey, at least $70ish. SS CG rifle can be used. A accurate camo outfit I haven't seen yet.

thanks for the heads up on the bodies.

well torpedo is out.. i forgot the grey in his suit.

i was looking at the helmet and mask and that is 60 bucks also.

Looks like foot loose or gun ho might be a easier way to go right now. Evilface can the marine emblem be done so it can be placed on a body?

Yea I'm sure you could find a water slide marine decal to use.

And I wouldn't could those other two Joes out cause of price, it's not like SS is rolling out too many.

that is true. ripcord looks to be the easier of the two to come up with.
thanks again for your time

i understand the good and bad. I am not butt hurt. i was seeking some info on which bodies to stay away from, or i have found that sideshow parts work well with... exc. i dont want a road map to a figure i want. i guess i was to vague with my first post.
i was not expecting hey noob go give your self a high five because you have no friends..

The kind of response you're looking for might better be found on the OSW board. They are way more into kitbashing and military-type customs than most folks here.

When it comes to bodies, I'd first find the head sculpt I'd like to use and match the body to it. This especially applies to color, and I think only Soldier Story heads can work on Soldier Story bodies (without modification), all the rest are compatible.

As for Torpedo's wetsuit, until Tony Meis offers an affordable alternative, there is Project ARE's wetsuit, it's not a perfect match but it's close. I have no idea on the quality though:
https://www.project-are.com/bodysuitga.html
https://www.project-are.com/areframe.htm
bsuitgametallicgrayblack.jpg

There's also Pop Toy's Water Monster wetsuit set which doesn't match Torpedo at all but it's an alternative option:
https://www.monkeydepot.com/Uniform_Set_POP_Toys_Water_Monster_Wetsuit_p/pt0001.htm
PT0001-2.jpg

And there's Triad Toy's male wetsuit 3.0. which also doesn't match Torpedo but an alternative option:
https://www.gijoeelite.com/f_itemPart.asp?strPart=GITT-U093
563498_10150966838034823_1758618687_n.jpg

Or you could just wait for Sideshow to make him (hopefully they don't deviate from Torpedo's original look).

Ripcord wouldn't be that hard to do. Look for the Ultimate Soldier HALO set. It came carded and boxed, and the chute and gear is molded instead of cloth, but repainted would be a good start. Also look for the Ultimate Soldier Modern 82nd Airborne carded set. It came with a pretty good molded parachute rig that could pass. Ult. Soldier makes a decent FN-FAL rifle too, but the Sideshow one is probably easier to get.

Your alternative with Torpedo is to utilize a black dive suit and incorporate the grey into the dive vest somehow.

I have some of the Adventure Gear suits and they're well made. All of their stuff pretty much is.

As far as torpedo's suit if you buy the fabric I can make one suit at a lower amt.
i can give you links for the rubbery material to make this suit and i can sew it, jumpsuits are my thing.
As far as bodies torpedo is a very slim figure and the best body i have seen for this is soldier story.

Just a note though Im backed up due to college until may. So I can work on torpedo in may inbetween projects for WGP.
It shouldn't take long to make the suit and hood.Just snag a body and head and send it and order fabric i can make him good to go.

Last edited:
As far as ripcord pm me i may know some places to get his stuff.
and you can use the hit figure bodies, I knw people slam them but their decent. I'm using it for my sam winchester and indiana figure, Im not keen on paying an outlandish amt on a body when the gear alone cost money

is this the ripcord your aiming for.

Ripcord.jpg

Back