FrankenFan's Buffy and Angel Banners

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darklord Dave said:
Sideshow is about far, far more than 1/6 now - like any business, whether they are fans or not, they have to make product that more people will buy. That just doesn't happen to be 1/6 figures right now.

I'm well aware that for Sideshow to remain solvent that they must go where the money is. I respect that... they owe it to their employees and the company's growth to go down that path. And the more the company grows (especially to accomodate the ballooning Star Wars license) ... the profit margin must increase to cushion this growth. I get it.

But I always thought that Sideshow was more than just a business. The company has always made a concentrated effort to maintain the image that they are collector friendly and that they themselves are fans of what they make. The fact that members of the Sideshow team are in contact with this forum is a testiment to this effort. It is THAT connection that hooked me to this company and this forum.

But the "puff piece" in the recent Buffy Magazine made me angry. Asserting that BOTH 12" lines have reached their logical conclusions is beyond ridiculous. Both lines have MANY figures yet to be made... especially, ESPECIALLY Angel... a line that was only ONE YEAR OLD!!! As much as they would like us to believe otherwise, Sideshow did not take the commitment of that license seriously. You would have to look at their Life of Brian 12" line (with only two offerings) for a line that got LESS attention. Heck, the Highlander line had FIVE offerings.

The Buffy article then devolved into a discussion of favorite figures of the now defunct line... once again an effort to cement the "we are fans too" mentality. Somehow, this time it felt hollow and self-serving. It seems like the seams of some sort of facade was showing.

Now, the Sideshow that earned my devotion would have made at least 2 more Angel figures... out of respect to the collectors and to honor their original committment to the license. But I know that isn't going to happen. Sideshow is not the same company it once was. I'm under no disillusions. I'm just sad.

But I'm a 12" collector... a dying breed I'm told. Sideshow is now catering to a whole different collector. Just a jump to the left. But Sideshow, to quote Padme from their esteemed license, is "going a path I can't follow." Sideshow is indeed breaking my heart. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

I started collecting 1:6 figures with Hasbro SW figures because I thought my then infant son would love those movies like I did when i was little. It was fun, some ups, lots of downs, but alot of good bargains were around too. When SSC got the SW license it was great. I realized that the same company that made those awesome Universal Monsters figures I bought for my brother at Christmas time for a few years made other stuff. I got tired of waiting for Luke to arrive so I got Connor Macleod, then Duncan, Scaramanga, several Star Wars figures then the Buffy/Angel line. I was greatly impressed with the work and amazed at the customer service.
There was a member at the RS forums that predicted how they would turn into a money hungry corporate monster and I was right there defending Sideshow tooth and nail. I remember when the first scent hit the air. It was when Darth Maul's probe droids were offered for and extra $25. Then the prices started creeping up (ahh crap they jumped, they didn't creep.) When the Endor soldiers came out and were $60 each compared to the $40 soldiers from the military line I sat back and bit my tongue because I didn't want the guy at RS to be right. Well sure enough, here we are.
Everything is being dropped in favor of SW and higher priced things like PFs and dios and statues. I understand they only have so much talent and so many projects they can do at one time, and maybe I don't have the right to feel slighted because I haven't been a SSC customer for years, but I feel abandoned. Its not as bad for me as some because I have the joy of chasing old figures and they're new to me. What bothers me isn't the decision to strike while the iron is hot, its the lack of communication. Its the abandoning of the people who got you where you are. How hard would it be to make an extra 10-15 figures that fans have pleaded for? They could come out and say "This is a special year for SW so we are going to focus on alot of SW stuff for the anniversary and as a special thank there will be a "By popular demand" figure". Imagine the long sought after Medieval Kurgan, then Wesley, then an ape, then Tara... and you have satisfied fans and an image that you care and listen to your customers. Look at ebay, the bottom is already starting to drop. You can pick up figures much cheaper off ebay already so its only a matter of time before they stop selling out in hours.

Back