Favorite Spider-Man movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best SM movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Favorite Spider-Man movie (Don't vote till you've seen em all please)

I'm not _____ing. I'm a Raimi fanboy till the end of time. However, this film didn't do anything new. It cut out everything new, and was just the same film. So I don't know....

I wouldn't say it's people _____ing because they're raimi "fanboys", its more like people jumping on the amazing spidermans bandwagon and riding garfields sack. And anyone who doesn't is immediately a hater or a raimi fanboy. :lol

I agree :goodpost:

All that could have made the new one unique seems to have been left on the cutting room floor, although some of it squeaked into the trailers before vanishing from the finished film.

I'd rank Spider-Man 2 at the top. I enjoyed the tone of the first two Raimi films. They had more joy and color and charm and heart than what I saw today. ASM had some potential but squandered it, in my opinion. It gave me very little I hadn't seen before. The promise of an interesting new back story involving his parents didn't seem to make it into the final cut. Why redo the origin story if it's not going to be indisputably superior and fresh? So much of this felt the same or not quite as good.

The perfect example was Uncle Ben's speech. Instead of getting, "With great power comes great responsibility," we get a more muddled speech about doing good to others, blah, blah, responsibility. Not as tightly written or memorable. They danced around the original, not wanting to simply quote it but instead wanting to write a new version--and they ended up with something that says the same thing but in a less memorable or quotable way. Sums up the whole movie for me. Not bad, but not better. Different for the sake of being different, but not superior. In other words, change for the sake of change. Pointless retelling without enough freshness or innovation to justify the effort in the first place. Unnecessary.

I hope to see ASM tonight. Then I'll have to watch SM1 and SM2 as its been forever.

I'll be very curious to hear the opinions on this movie from those who haven't seen the Raimi flicks. Almost all criticism stems from "been there done that." I wonder if it just comes down to which one is seen first. Obviously those who watch ASM first will most likely be those too young to have watched the others so we'll see how they all age for the current generation.

Generation: "The term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth of parents and the birth of their offspring."

A "generation" is about 20-30 years. My generation grew up on the original Star Wars films. My son's generation grew up on the prequels and Clone Wars. Not enough time has passed for there to be a new generation of people who didn't grow up watching Raimi's Spider-Man films. They all came out 5-10 years ago. AMS is by definition NOT a Spider-Man for a "new generation." It is a reworked Spider-Man for members of the current generation with short attention spans.

Most people have seen Spider-Man.

Eh, every year a new "generation" comes of movie watching age. Kids who turn five, six, or whatever is appropriate for a Spider-Man film. Kids who can handle a Spidey film as of THIS YEAR will probably be taken to ASM rather than kept home in favor of Raimi blu-rays. I'm curious how the previous movies will play for them after watching ASM. Sure *we've* all seen the originals but people living under a rock or little kids wouldn't have the same bias going into ASM. All I'm wondering is what they'd think of the movie.

They probably will be bored as ____ with it. As there isn't enough explosions and ____.

All that could have made the new one unique seems to have been left on the cutting room floor, although some of it squeaked into the trailers before vanishing from the finished film.

I'd rank Spider-Man 2 at the top. I enjoyed the tone of the first two Raimi films. They had more joy and color and charm and heart than what I saw today. ASM had some potential but squandered it, in my opinion. It gave me very little I hadn't seen before. The promise of an interesting new back story involving his parents didn't seem to make it into the final cut. Why redo the origin story if it's not going to be indisputably superior and fresh? So much of this felt the same or not quite as good.

The perfect example was Uncle Ben's speech. Instead of getting, "With great power comes great responsibility," we get a more muddled speech about doing good to others, blah, blah, responsibility. Not as tightly written or memorable. They danced around the original, not wanting to simply quote it but instead wanting to write a new version--and they ended up with something that says the same thing but in a less memorable or quotable way. Sums up the whole movie for me. Not bad, but not better. Different for the sake of being different, but not superior. In other words, change for the sake of change. Pointless retelling without enough freshness or innovation to justify the effort in the first place. Unnecessary.
:goodpost::clap:goodpost:

Good to see not everyone is drinking the Lizard Kool-Aid.

in terms of relationships go, i'd prefer ASM's gwen stacy over SM's mary jane. why? MJ fell for spiderman not peter parker, stacy on the other hand was into peter.

and tobey as parker was and always be a whiny beeotch.

Although some of the untold origin stuff was cut, there is very little about this film that resembles the originals.

Most characters if not all are different kind of characters.

Peter is more of a modern streetwise realistic take on PP compared to Tobey's classic '60s-like gee wiz aww shucks type. Gwen and Captain Stacy well they have characters this time. Uncle Ben is more funny and stern parental. Aunt May notices Peter more. Even Flash is portrayed much differently.

Oscorp is far different than in SM1 so is the high school and the mood of New York.

Spider-man is more cocky and funny than the originals. Moves and swings differently, fights differently.

Most of his action takes place at night compared to the daytime action of the originals.

Peter is in High School for the whole film

No Daily Bugle other than a reference

Leading lady isn't kidnapped by the villain.

There is far more differences than similarities between them imo

Last edited:

But the plot structure is the same. Exactly the same. Even taking some little things from the other film...like The Lizard having a conversation with his inner villain.

It was way to similar. There was differences, but overall, it felt like the same film, with different characters. But ultimately, ended on the same conclusion.

Near the same scene....:lol

Hmm, I had just the opposite feeling - I didn't see it as having been cut out, but as being a development to be explored in a future chapter. More than the Raimi films, I got the feeling that this was the first part of a trilogy and there are a lot of threads that weren't meant to be tied off in just this one film.

And I also was so glad I didn't have to hear "with great power comes great responsibility" again - paraphrasing maintained the legend without the cliche being expressed in exactly the same way.

I would agree that the origin, the villain and the plot weren't new and different and may have been changed just so that people who are familiar with the other films wouldn't get bored. But the casting of Garfield and Stone is so far, far superior than the other 2, that I have to give more props to ASM.

This movie is exactly like Prometheus.

It does the same exact thing. It has the same amount of holes. It cut about the same amount of stuff, and has characters doing really stupid things.

If you're a big Spider-Man fan, you'll ignore these....if not, you'll call them out, like me.

I won't lie, I enjoy Prometheus, with the flaws because i'm such a fan of the franchise.

But since my only love for Spider-Man is the Raimi films, I look at this, and go...wha? Why?

It's interesting.

But I think setting up for sequel stuff should stop. It just makes things confusing for no reason. Prometheus included in that remark.

and tobey as parker was and always be a whiny beeotch.

As much as I like the Raimi films (Yes all 3 :lol ) this does sum up my thoughts on Tobey.

He only cries twice in the first film.

Back