Farewell Charlton Heston -Sad PotA day

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on, let's not go there, please. Sideshowfreaks are movie lovers, it's better of we stick to that.

Ok, good point. I'll stick to movie talk. I kind of always though some of his acting was a little "over the top" but it sure was fun as heck to watch.

I am especially upset. It's really weird. I had been on a Heston kick recently and I painted this beautiful watercolor portait of him as Moses, intending to send it to him as a gift. Along with that, I wrote this truly heart-felt letter to him. I mailed them to him Friday, and Saturday he dies. You have no idea how depressing this is. He is my favorite actor of all time, and I never even got to meet him.:(:monkey2:banghead

Heston fits into a certain mold as an actor that is very much the Hollywood of the Golden Age period. He would be classified in with such people as John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan. He was very good when he could play someone close to his own personality. When he played the alpha-dog hero parts he was at his best. It is interesting that the best performance of his life came in BEN HUR at the hands of director William Wyler. WW was a no nonsense director who was the boss on his sets but yet had the sensibilities and eye of an artist. He was able to get Heston to go much further in his emotional range than the usual macho hero that other directors were satisfied with.

This is much like John Wayne and his relationship with director John Ford. You look at a film like THE QUIET MAN and you see a very different Wayne than in the vast majority of his pictures where a director was happy just to let him be The Duke.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring that up. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but did you notice that I was not the first one who has brought 'this' up? And I'll most certainly will not be the last one that will remember the other side of Mr. Heston. Besides, if you were expecting something like this, it shows how good you knew Mr. Heston! That being said, Heston was a great actor: PotA, Soylent Green, The Omega man, Ben-Hur... Fantastic movies which greatly benefited from Heston's screen presents. Great actor, that man.

This is a long-expected death and it has to come as a relief to his loved ones. Darth Neil is the only one to bring it up, but Mr. Heston, like his friend President Reagan before him, announced to the world one day that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and retreated from the public eye. It is hard to imagine what his family has been through in private, but their loss didn't happen yesterday; it was probably a couple of years ago on a day they can't specify. This was not an easy death. This is a terrible, terrible disease.

Doomhammer, that headsculpt on your Heston figure is exactly what we on this board should be talking about now! It's terrific, and I hope many of us will consider customs that salute this actor. What can you tell us about that head?

This is a long-expected death and it has to come as a relief to his loved ones. Darth Neil is the only one to bring it up, but Mr. Heston, like his friend President Reagan before him, announced to the world one day that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and retreated from the public eye. It is hard to imagine what his family has been through in private, but their loss didn't happen yesterday; it was probably a couple of years ago on a day they can't specify. This was not an easy death. This is a terrible, terrible disease.

Doomhammer, that headsculpt on your Heston figure is exactly what we on this board should be talking about now! It's terrific, and I hope many of us will consider customs that salute this actor. What can you tell us about that head?

Very well said, I lost a grandmother to Alzheimer's and you're right it is a semi-relief to see them go because you know it's not the way they wanted to live.

We will not let this thread turn into politics.

He was a huge figure in movie history and will be remembered as such no matter what else he was involved in.

Touch of Evil was brilliant because of Welles and Heston as a Mexican was one of the most awesome miscasts in history. But it all worked somehow. Probably my favorite Heston film.

Back