Executive Replicas 2001 Space Odyssey Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I take it you're not accepting the challenge? If you have decided that you really can't produce a monolith for under $20, it's ok to admit that.

Oh the condescension never ends...

Take a look at my signature. I can make a lot of things. And I will make a monolith. I am currently recording two music CDs, but I will get around to it when the hobby bug bites again later this summer, probably. For under $20, too. :D A side note- Here in Pasadena, Caltech has a full sized monolith "sculpture" in one of their buildings (not sure who made it, but it's pretty impressive for a big black rectangle).

PS- By the way- it wasn't a "challenge". I said I could make a monolith. No one challenged me to it. So let's not deepen the already hip-deep condescension, ok?

Sean

Last edited:
Those are the dimensions that my research showed to be film-accurate, which I then passed on to ER to post on their website.
In the book 'The Making of Kubrick's 2001', (1970) it says that Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick decided the dimensions in Clarke's novel of 1 x 4 x 9 looked too blocky on screen. So, they changed the ratio to 1 x 5 x 12 for the monolith props...
You're benefitting from my work and didn't even know it. Ironic, yes?

Last edited:
Those are the dimensions that my research showed to be film-accurate, which I then passed on to ER to post on their website.
In the book 'The Making of Kubrick's 2001', (1970) it says that Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick decided the dimensions in Clarke's novel of 1 x 4 x 9 looked too blocky on screen. So, they changed the ratio to 1 x 5 x 12 for the monolith props...
You're benefitting from my work and didn't even know it. Ironic, yes?

Why would it be ironic that kl241 would be using the dimensions provided by ER to make his own? Or was that reply to me, saying I would also do as kl241 did and have a monolith cut from plastic or manufacture my own? Notice, I never said I would make mine the same dimensions as the ER monolith. So if you're trying to argue some more by implying I'm benefiting from your research on the dimensions (kind of "control freaky"), you failed. :D

PS- I also did my own research on the monolith. Just an FYI.
Sean

Last edited:
Why would it be ironic that kl241 would be using the dimensions provided by ER to make his own? Or was that reply to me, saying I would also do as kl241 did and have a monolith cut from plastic or manufacture my own? Notice, I never said I would make mine the same dimensions as the ER monolith. So if you're trying to argue some more by implying I'm benefiting from your research on the dimensions (kind of "control freaky"), you failed. :D

Sean

You guys... Stop it!

Well, when Kl241 said that he found the dimensions at the ER website and he would use them to make his own monolith, you (SpaceCrawler) said, "Awesome. I'll do the same." I thought you meant you would......... "do the same"........ My mistake.

Some posts deleted. No point reiterating something that has been said more times than necessary. It is discouraging that collectors feel they know exactly how much something should cost to produce and distribute (and pay royalties on) without any actual experience in that arena.

I'm not an employee. I'm freelance- nobody is 'my paying customer'. You're very hypocritical. You can type a whole paragraph, but accuse me of being obsessed when I respond with a single sentence. I'm done- I'll give you the last word, as you seem to need it so badly.

Hypocritical?! :cuckoo: When your single sentence is a fabrication and another in a string of insults that misrepresents what I said or meant, then I will try to correct the record or question the baseless hostility. Like this latest sentence from you accusing me, without any evidence, of being hypocritical. You have, more than a few times, misunderstood or willfully misrepresented what I have said, and been condescending. Despite that I have tried a few times now to diffuse the situation, to no avail. But if I write a paragraph it's to try to communicate to you something that you obviously refuse to understand (like I'm not using your measurements, your latest attack and attempt to prolong an argument and get the last word in; like I was never "challenged" to build my own monolith, a "challenge" you implied I was shying away from with your "single sentence", I was the one who said I would build my own so as not to pay $300 for a 24 inch piece of black plastic; and a dozen other assumptions or silly slights from you).

And as a result I hoped you'd end this pointless obsessive argument. That's not "hypocrisy". It's called communicating the relevant points in a conversation.

This is a pointless argument about my personal opinion, which obviously upset you to carry on like this for so many days, of a product made by a company you freelance for (and I think get free or discounted stuff from - so I'd say you have some skin in the game). It really doesn't matter if you hate me because I reasonably critiqued ER products, but this is just very boring and I'm sure people are sick of it. And I don't need the silly hostility.

By the way- a guy on the Practical Effects Group on Facebook, who I don't know, just posted about ER's 2001 products and said that he could make a $20 1/6 monolith rather than paying $300. I ***** you not! Go get 'em, tiger! ;)

Sean

To anyone interested: I'll be very pleased to have a 24" tall monolith with lunar base, that is solid-cast and heavy, with full color box art and high-res graphics, and is fully licensed and approved by Warner Bros. Pride in ownership, pride in artistic participation, and long-term increasing collector's value.

Was there really white suits in the movie? I always thought the silver Floyd Heywood suits only looked white in a few shots? I'm still holding out for the classic silver suit with the different backpack snd chest plate. I already have the Keir Dullea from Executive Replicas and it is awesome.

So, the hight 'problem' with these must be in that the legs doesn't go far enough into the boots. The lower part of the legs are way too long. Think I might wanna cut some of the legs off anyways...
Or, did anyone try to pull out the foot peg? Pulling that out and exchanging it with a bit of blue tag should do the trick too I guess...
eb7d4e76440efe57554274c9ae55802c.jpg

Last edited:
Back