Electronics in toys and the best battery compartments in the toys you own.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koon

Super Freak
Reaction score
I always get leaky battery syndrome, and after seeing how some of you have commented on the electronics in recent toys, figured we kinda need a discussion on this, particularly in the more expensive ones. We need to get it out there how much we love or hate the electronics.

op7.jpg

First one in mind, Ultimetal Prime, both remote and the toy (which I can't find pics of) have a well thought out method of changing batteries. The bottom of the controller is a pull out cartridge that houses two button cells. Prime houses batteries like the MP-10 gun storage, and the box is a simple pull off cover that attaches neatly and securely.

And to all those with dirty thoughts, read how I phrased the title.

you can't change the titles and polls.

anyway HT batteries are pretty good, i only removed Wesker's battery after 4-5 years and it's still good, never used it before. but i removed it just to be safe. most battery compartment are designed to be easily access with 1 screw. Ironically, I find those Takara Tomy Drift RC cars difficult to change out the battery as you need to remove the upper body, open a clamp type cover to access the batteries (which are located on both sides), you'd imagine they have easier access for toys that requires constant battery change.

Wow! How is Ultimetal Prime? I've looked at it several times online but it's way out of my league for the moment.

Our baby and toddler toys have the best and the toys are pretty cheap in price.
Some even have seals to hold in any leakage.
The ones on the expensive statues and props seem to be the cheapest quality you can find. They feel so fragile.

Never had a battery problem with any of my figures unless you count getting them in, in the first place. My problem would be more to do with implementation and usefulness of electronics.

Take the HT Vader, the hassle faced installing the batteries in the belt and the silly small switches, there's no need for that especially when Sideshow had already done it so much better then there's the voice feature batteries more hassle for a feature that's quite frankly more at home on a child's toy, I mean do we really need our figures to parrot lines from the films they were in?

Voice features in my opinion don't add anything to a figure and are a complete waste of time, money and resources.

I hope Hot Toys takes a leave from Sideshows book when it comes to how to do electronics better especially the likes of the new C-P3O which does away with clunky switches all together and uses a touch sensitive on/off switch for the light feature.

I never use the electronics features, and always take the batteries out.

They will ALL leak. It's just a matter of time.

Back