eBay Sniping

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMc73

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Ok, so I don't use eBay everyday, just once in a while, and the last few times I've tried to win anything, I've been sniped at the last second.

What is the deal with this? Is it legal? Is there software I can use if it is, that will help me win? What is the best stuff out there? Just share some skinny on eBay sniping with me...

Thanks.
:sick

Comes down to a good internet connection, fast trigger finger, money, and patience......:D

Unfortunately, that's the way Ebay buying goes nowadays. Not in every auction, but in many of the auctions, I bid on. And yes, it does irritate me, BUT I've adapted. Now, sniping doesn't really affect me when it comes to items I want most. In the end, I may pay a few extra bucks, but I still win.

In some cases, sniping works in my way because there are pieces that I will bid on in impulse. And instead of retracting my bid (which I never do,) a sniper outbids me last second. And in that case, I thank them. Why pay for something I don't want? :lol

Comes down to a good internet connection, fast trigger finger, money, and patience......:D

Yeah, I've heard of some websites, but for me, I go with the good ol' fashion "click, bid, hold your breath and hope you won at the last second." :lol

I have a decent connection, so I haven't had too many issues. I definitely have my days though where I get "schooled," but nonetheless, I find the piece again down the road or realize I really didn't even need the piece to begin with.

Is it legal? What kind of crime do you think sniping could possibly break, since it doesn't involve manipulation or hacking or anything of the like? What a strange question.

While there is software for it, I don't bid on enough stuff to bother anymore. I just bid within the last 30 seconds, works well enough. I'd prefer not to, but it became common on Ebay years ago and it's pretty much how half or more of the auctions end (with sniping).

If you bid as much as you are absolutely willing to pay, then it doesn't matter if sniping happens or not, because if you win, you get something for the price it is worth to you. If not, then the "value" is too high. If are trying to low-ball a seller, you might get sniped and you would get what you deserved, I reckon.

If you bid as much as you are absolutely willing to pay, then it doesn't matter if sniping happens or not, because if you win, you get something for the price it is worth to you. If not, then the "value" is too high. If are trying to low-ball a seller, you might get sniped and you would get what you deserved, I reckon.

^^^This. I use this site:
https://www.justsnipe.com/

I only enter the price I'm personally willing to pay. IMO this isn't cheating/being unfair to other people. Its just paying what you feel is the price without having to sit in front of the computer to do it. I'll enter the $$ on the auction and just cross my fingers until the auction is over.

That's a good recommendation, there are plenty of over free sniping sources you can find. :wave

snipe tools are good but why pay them money when it can go in your pocket? every time it wins a bid for you ebay will give them listing revinue on what you bought, Sign up to Quid co and you get 40% of the sellers listing fees payed back to you

Doesn't matter if you were sniped or the person bid a day before it ended, you were outbid.

Bid your max and don't look back. If you would have bid a bit more, you should have.

Bid your max and don't look back. If you would have bid a bit more, you should have.

i disagree with this. in this economy if I'm paying "what I think its worth" I'm probably paying too much and I am all about the deal right now.

i disagree with this. in this economy if I'm paying "what I think its worth" I'm probably paying too much and I am all about the deal right now.

Then what you think it is worth is you max.

If someone is worried about the economy, they should not be buying toys.

I snipe all the time.
Sniper.gif

It's the only way to go! :D

Then what you think it is worth is you max.

If someone is worried about the economy, they should not be buying toys.

i kinda know what you mean, and maybe its semantics, but do you always pay 100% for something? if you went to lunch and a sandwich cost $8 on Monday and then on Friday it was on sale for $5, does its value to you change, is it worth less now because it costs less? Not really. I have a max I'd pay for something, but I also know in this economy that people are in more desperate situations, so I know that a deal is always out there.

I may be looking for 100 different items at any time. If I value them all the same, I know in a buyers market I should look for the best deal. And that best deal should not be my max price. Therefore if I have to bid up to my max price on something knowing the other 99 items I'm looking for may be had for below max, I don't consider it a good value.

I may be looking for 100 different items at any time. If I value them all the same, I know in a buyers market I should look for the best deal. And that best deal should not be my max price. Therefore if I have to bid up to my max price on something knowing the other 99 items I'm looking for may be had for below max, I don't consider it a good value.
That's the beauty of eBay. You only bid what you, personally, think that it's worth. If no one else bidding on eBay at the time thinks it is worth more, you may well get a deal. But if you lose out because your bid was too low, then you lost fair and square, and that's that. Sometimes you get good values on eBay, and sometimes you don't, but in either case, I don't think anyone should be upset at snipers for thinking something is worth more than they do. If you don't want to deal with that, you can use the "Buy It Now" feature or buy something through forums such as this one.

Back