Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think this film is going to make much money. I told people at work today that tomorrow I was watching DUNE!!! Nobody knew what I was talking about. :lol

It's from the visionary director that made Blade Runner 2049! 😌

😐😐😐

The director of Prisoners?!! 😕

😐😐😐

He did Sicario with Benicio Del Toro! 😣

😐🤔🤨

Arrival? 😭

😕🙄🤧
Should have just told them it's a superhero movie. :lol

Enjoyed the movie. The original Dune was a made for TV show to be fair (a 3 night mini series-- if I remember correctly.) I like the pacing of the new movie. Eagerly await pt 2.

Wow -- just rewatched -- sped through -- David Lynch's masterpiece Dune.

And for the nostalgia-fans in here who think that's a decent movie -- or compares in any way to Villeneuve's work -- I need to write your names down and remember you. I now recall why I haven't watched that dreck in 30 years. Has to be on my Top 10 list of the worst movies ever made.
Well here's the thing, it's funny how people have different tastes and opinions. I love Lynch's adaptation of Dune, it's very much unique. There's nothing else like it, it's an incredibly weird fever-dream of a movie.

I cannot compare it to Villenueve's take because I haven't seen it yet, but am hopefully going this evening. I'll let you know my how I think it compares, not that it matters and nor should it, because the only critic you should listen to is yourself.

I've watched Blade Runner 2049 three times, and for me it meshed perfectly with Villeneuve's style. Slow, ponderous, majestic, and even with the stillness there's something to keep the attention. The music and ambient sounds complete the immersive experience.

I found that transferring that style to Dune didn't have the same effect. There was a contrast between the rainy, slate grey world and the arid, desert world. The grey and beige/sand. It's largely drab and unremarkable, but for the blue eyes of the Fremen and the orange of the spice.

I like black and white films, but only because they're inherently of their period with all the period detail that comes with them. For films made firmly in the age of colour I want to see it put to use. Dune is very washed out for the most part, which doesn't help the dryness of the planet or the story itself.

Lynch's Dune, on the other hand, revelled in the full use of colour.

As a little experiment I went to the IMDB photo gallery for each film. There's quite a stark difference between the vibrancy of the earlier and the more pastel nature of the later versions.

It's all art, and as Jmek wrote, people have different tastes and opinions. I can appreciate Villeneuve's work, but I don't always find it appealing.

HATED IT. Hated every stupid second of it.

Nah, kidding...letting my curmudgeon reputation precede me.

Like BR2049, it's just achingly beautiful. I think the trailers made the costumes look bland on purpose, but in reality they were great. The cast was great, even the twink they got at the lead.

And it is just me or did they "dumb down" or simplify the plot/dialogue so the lesser mentally endowed among us could follow alone easily. Maybe that was always the big problem of DUNE. But here it works like a charm. Conveys the info and doesn't feel intentionally stupid

Give this to an audience that's still butt hurt over GoT's ending, and Disney SW existing, and I think you've got a hit, despite the familiarity with the source material. But, I've been dead wrong many times in the past, so...

At least the resident forum grump that's hated every movie for 20 years sees this isn't just another lifeless, soullesss cash grab "product." It's art, the way movies used to be. A few modern touches here and there, but I think someone has finally made the second best DUNE movie, (number one being the one the resides in our heads after watching Jodorowsky's Dune.)

In the book does it explain why the head sith lady, who walks like emperor Palpatine in the rain scene in ROTS btw, preferred a female child over a male that Jessica had?

I’m assuming her new pregnancy will play into that explanation.

Javier should have played Obi-Wan lol

HATED IT. Hated every stupid second of it.

Nah, kidding...letting my curmudgeon reputation precede me.

Like BR2049, it's just achingly beautiful. I think the trailers made the costumes look bland on purpose, but in reality they were great. The cast was great, even the twink they got at the lead.

And it is just me or did they "dumb down" or simplify the plot/dialogue so the lesser mentally endowed among us could follow alone easily. Maybe that was always the big problem of DUNE. But here it works like a charm. Conveys the info and doesn't feel intentionally stupid

Give this to an audience that's still butt hurt over GoT's ending, and Disney SW existing, and I think you've got a hit, despite the familiarity with the source material. But, I've been dead wrong many times in the past, so...

At least the resident forum grump that's hated every movie for 20 years sees this isn't just another lifeless, soullesss cash grab "product." It's art, the way movies used to be. A few modern touches here and there, but I think someone has finally made the second best DUNE movie, (number one being the one the resides in our heads after watching Jodorowsky's Dune.)
Well, for me, the watering down didn't work, This film - compared to book and 1980s version - to me felt thin. Watered down, or something. It didn't feel epic. It felt very expensive, but more geared towards teenagers. There was one entire sequence that I thought was pointless.

It's not that I thought the director didn't care; more that it just felt kinda homogenized for a general audience. Didn't hate it. More like "eh". I'll watch it again and ditch HBO (again). I can see why one critic was mentioning something about visuals over substance. Even then, not feeling deprived over not seeing this in theater.

And for the nostalgia-fans in here who think that's a decent movie -- or compares in any way to Villeneuve's work -- I need to write your names down and remember you. I now recall why I haven't watched that dreck in 30 years. Has to be on my Top 10 list of the worst movies ever made.

Flattered I'll be remembered. IMO Lynch's version is dated but does keep the epic-ness of the story, and it has wonderfully weird visuals and excellent cast. Some great speeches. Can't remember anything anyone said in particular with this latest version. Maybe I'll get more into it second viewing.

Last edited:

Add my name to that list. I love Dune 1984. It has this weird presence to it. I like the actors in that movie, the costumes, set designs. I won't call it a great movie or say it's in the same class, but i sure enjoy it.

Well, for me, the watering down didn't work, This film - compared to book and 1980s version - to me felt thin. Watered down, or something. It didn't feel epic. It felt very expensive, but more geared towards teenagers. There was one entire sequence that I thought was pointless.

It's not that I thought the director didn't care; more that it just felt kinda homogenized for a general audience. Didn't hate it. More like "eh". I'll watch it again and ditch HBO (again). I can see why one critic was mentioning something about visuals over substance. Even then, not feeling deprived over not seeing this in theater.
Savage

But how I feel.

The book must be way more epic.

Last edited:
What really bothers me is the fact that a lot of importance is placed on those stupid water suits when in reality it’s a movie set 10,000 years in a future where every technology exists but oh my God those suits are so important!

As if every single person wouldn’t have one of those already on every planet lol

So those suits are absolutely necessary for survival on Arrakis unless of course the story deems them not necessary for survival like when they are not being used on Arrakis :slap

It’s dumb stuff like this that ruins the experience for me.

Pick a critical component and stick to it being critical.

Savage

But how I feel.

The book must be way more epic.
Didn't mean to be savage - just more like; been here, done that, as far as the narrative goes. Kind of like I was watching a darker, more mature Star Wars original trilogy. But the OT is the OT with its likeable characters, and ground-breaking environments and characters.

This felt more like - to me - someone working very hard, lots of bleakness, lots of money spent - but it's too familiar in a way, and too bland. No character really stood out for me, unlike the weirdness and outright repulsiveness of some of Lynch's depictions. There wasn't this sense of WEIGHT that I expected, that even the book conveys. Maybe the pacing is too geared to current audiences. Also this had a few scenes that I thought were there just to make someone look heroic, but to me didn't have a lot of point, and I didn't feel anything.

What really bothers me is the fact that a lot of importance is placed on those stupid water suits when in reality it’s a movie set 10,000 years in a future where every technology exists but oh my God those suits are so important!

As if every single person wouldn’t have one of those already on every planet lol

So those suits are absolutely necessary for survival on Arrakis unless of course the story deems them not necessary for survival like when they are not being used on Arrakis :slap

It’s dumb stuff like this that ruins the experience for me.

Pick a critical component and stick to it being critical.
Jye wants to tear this apart lol

Well reminds me of the Middle East where no one wants to go but they want that sweet, sweet nectar of oil to get rich off of. But you have these local guys that think it is theirs cause they live there! And just like politics, you feel politics at work but dont see who is making the law. And for those shields, yeah they seem to only work with glancing blows, but you don't see anyone using projectiles. Those poison darts must be hard to come by though lol.

Jye wants to tear this apart lol

Well reminds me of the Middle East where no one wants to go but they want that sweet, sweet nectar of oil to get rich off of. But you have these local guys that think it is theirs cause they live there! And just like politics, you feel politics at work but dont see who is making the law. And for those shields, yeah they seem to only work with glancing blows, but you don't see anyone using projectiles. Those poison darts must be hard to come by though lol.
Don’t get me started on those lame shields lol

The only hand to hand fight that was ok in the entire movie was between Paul and Jamis other than that it was all pretty weak.

Winter Soldier this was not lol

Don’t get me started on those lame shields lol

The only hand to hand fight that was ok in the entire movie was between Paul and Jamis other than that it was all pretty weak.

Winter Soldier this was not lol
They looked like a bad dance. Maybe he wanted to feature how boring a calculated fight in real life looks.

Flattered I'll be remembered. IMO Lynch's version is dated but does keep the epic-ness of the story, and it has wonderfully weird visuals and excellent cast. Some great speeches. Can't remember anything anyone said in particular with this latest version. Maybe I'll get more into it second viewing.

Sad that you and CollectorGuy feel Lynch's Dune is a good movie. As well as a few others. You guys actually need to sit through it again like I did last night rather than look at pretty pictures on the internet.

You will be remembered.

Sucks. What was the last sci-fi film that was received positively and performed well at the box office?
Probably a Marvel film.
Illegal one too lol
I'm a citizen!!! 😭

Anyway, getting ready to go see DUNE soon on the biggest screen possible.

rn46CcW.jpg

No but really, it starts at 1:15pm.

Back