Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably wait and see if we get that part 2 before I watch this, because from what I've heard its a good beginning but it still needs to be finished.

You must watch zero television because almost nothing gets 'finished' on TV.

Also, it is interesting to watch a good filmmaker grow... or not. Unfortunately, Villeneuve has had very little growth from The Arrival to 2049 to Dune. When you compare, say Cameron from Terminator to Aliens to The Abyss, you see exponential growth as a filmmaker. Perhaps it is the budgets, since Villeneuve seems to have had the benefit of large budgets from the start so he had not had to improvise or cut-corners and still make it work. That said, Villenneuve still seems to suffer from a lack of 'audience-connection' because his films are deprived of humor and genuine emotion. They are all beautiful, realistic and desaturated.

Last edited:
Two hours in and trying to stay awake.

It's slow, uninspired and uninspiring. Not as much fun as the original.

Paul just said they had to do the sand walk because of the worms...

Sadly... I don't think we'll see Dune Part II.

And if we do, it will be scaled back greatly. That's why I think Villenneuve would just walk away rather than do a half-assed finale. Perhaps another director will step in. Michael Bay is available.

You're not helping with my motivation to watch it. :lol

I wouldn't wish this film on anyone. :lol

It felt like a completely unnecessary remake. So drab and bland, adding nothing over the original, but actually taking things away.

I much preferred BR 2049, which was gripping throughout in spite of the virtual inertia at times. Dune just drags on, and on, with very little to keep your interest.

The holographic shield just didnā€™t work for me visually and it actually made the fights very muddled.

And they are useless lol
I guess you haven't seen the David Lynch holo shield effects then.

You might say useless, I say realistic. They have a weakness, so it can be exploited if you are close enough and can move slowly enough.

I guess you haven't seen the David Lynch holo shield effects then.

You might say useless, I say realistic. They have a weakness, so it can be exploited if you are close enough and can move slowly enough.

Even that short clip illustrates how much more visually interesting and colourful the original was.

I was waiting for the alien Guild Navigator scene to show up:

You must watch zero television because almost nothing gets 'finished' on TV.

Also, it is interesting to watch a good filmmaker grow... or not. Unfortunately, Villeneuve has had very little growth from The Arrival to 2049 to Dune. When you compare, say Cameron from Terminator to Aliens to The Abyss, you see exponential growth as a filmmaker. Perhaps it is the budgets, since Villeneuve seems to have had the benefit of large budgets from the start so he had not had to improvise or cut-corners and still make it work. That said, Villenneuve still seems to suffer from a lack of 'audience-connection' because his films are deprived of humor and genuine emotion. They are all beautiful, realistic and desaturated.
But from what I've heard this is clearly designed to be a two part movie, it doesn't stand on it's own because it's so clearly just set up for the next one. The fact that the sequel hasn't already been confirmed means its probably not happening, so what's the point?

Loads of shows and movies stand on their own with a single season or release. Even Infinity War could have just been left where it ended and it would have been a satisying ending.

I wouldn't wish this film on anyone. :lol

It felt like a completely unnecessary remake. So drab and bland, adding nothing over the original, but actually taking things away.

I much preferred BR 2049, which was gripping throughout in spite of the virtual inertia at times. Dune just drags on, and on, with very little to keep your interest.
Actually the crazy part is that even though I am giving this movie a thumbs now I did remain engaged until the end although I started to check out during the fremen stuff at the end.

Actually the crazy part is that even though I am giving this movie a thumbs now I did remain engaged until the end although I started to check out during the fremen stuff at the end.

I haven't watched the original in a long time, but this one felt like a word for word remake (with scenes missing), but with less visual interest. So there was very little to keep me interested... apart from waiting for Zendaya to eventually turn up. :lol

But from what I've heard this is clearly designed to be a two part movie, it doesn't stand on it's own because it's so clearly just set up for the next one. The fact that the sequel hasn't already been confirmed means its probably not happening, so what's the point?

Loads of shows and movies stand on their own with a single season or release. Even Infinity War could have just been left where it ended and it would have been a satisying ending.

You are being subjective.

You must not have watched the first two LOTR movies then until the third came out.

I did enjoy the first hour or so. I'm sure I still will on repeat viewings. It lost me in the last hour. It got repetitive and slow.

I enjoyed Javier... but not Zendaya.

So where was the deep and sophisticated political intrigue?
Not sure what you were expecting. You're not familiar with the source material so I'm not sure what you'd be missing exactly. The set-up is fairly straightforward but if the film had got into CHOAM shares and whatnot we'd be in Trade Dispute territory.

The fights were boring as hell!

I didn't hate them but I would have liked better choreography.
Mando worm > Dune worm
LOLOLOLOL no.

That holy war vision was super lame.
Maybe I'm giving it a pass because I know the books well. What would you have preferred to see?
Dave Bautista didnā€™t do anything.
From what I remember (it's been a long time) Beast Rabban didn't do all that much in the book either.

Back