Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate deserts
0e9.gif

What was illogical about it?

The whole assault plan with Brolin was unnecessary considering Benecio just hijacked a car elsewhere.

Also, the drug lord has dinner with his family expecting someone he doesn't trust and he only has like 6 guards.

Also, the whole "we need your signature" from newbie Emily Blunt.

The whole assault plan with Brolin was unnecessary considering Benecio just hijacked a car elsewhere.

Also, the drug lord has dinner with his family expecting someone he doesn't trust and he only has like 6 guards.

Yeah, well. It's a movie.

Started watching the Spice Driver edit of Dune on Youtube, couldn't recommend it more to fans of Lynch's Dune.
Looking forward to finishing it tonight!

Villenavenue has some deep context movies. I'd have to watch it again, but I just thought Del Toro needed to extract some guy with info, they went to snuff out a drug distribution place as a cover to get Del Toro to the drug lord who might have thought he was untouchable.
Part of the government process. Paperwork amongst paperwork.

THIS THREAD EXISTS!!! I'm a big fan of the books. And David Lynch. And the SciFi series. I'm catching up on reading the thread.

Villenavenue has some deep context movies. I'd have to watch it again, but I just thought Del Toro needed to extract some guy with info, they went to snuff out a drug distribution place as a cover to get Del Toro to the drug lord who might have thought he was untouchable.

Part of the government process. Paperwork amongst paperwork.

Yeah, you should watch it again.

I’m sure the new Dune might be a mildly entertaining popcorn flick that might get a sequel. As a whole, unless a filmmaker is ready to reverse engineer the film from at least the fourth book to the first, then they will make a bunch of decisions in adapting the front end that will turn into very problematic story telling, world building, and philosophical messaging later on.

For example, if you only look at updating the first book, you could say that there are ‘problematic colonial themes of an outside white person needing to save an indigenous people.’ ... However, if you start blocking out the story from the point of view that Paul will end up as God Emperor multiple generations in the future, then the analysis changes. Dune’s themes aren’t a problematic feature of a book from 1965. It is the freaking point. You want to jump forward 3,500 years to a dystopian future where the savior is now the tyrant.
You don't need to adapt the fourth book to reach the anti-colonialist themes or subversion of the white savior trope. That's already present in the second half of the first book, as well as the second book.

Villeneuve has made it clear he already has his plan for adapting the second half of the book - and from the start, had a general idea of adapting the second book as well, forming a film trilogy. Given that, I'd be surprised if we don't see these themes in the next movie.

Which could be why Villeneuve is already on the PR path of advertising Chani as his part 2 heroine.

This has already been debunked as a translation error.

Back