Dragon Models to make Star Trek: The Next Generation figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DID is their own company, nothing to do with Dragon Models Limited, besides both offering bendable hands which DML originated.

I can't wait to see what they do with this line, I am a big fan of Dragon. At one time their Jin-roh figure was the best on the market and when it comes to WWII, imo, they have no equal.
If they put the same amount of detail in STTNG as they do in their military lines then we are all in for a treat.

Great. Maybe they should get with the times and compete with the modern standard of 1:6 quality for $140 USD. I can buy a Hot Toys figure for that price and they are NOWHERE near that level of quality. But they are in Hong Kong, right? Maybe they should take a field trip over to Hot Toys office and ask them how to sculpt like Yuli and Weapon X. :monkey1

You might want to reserve judgment until the figures are released... I'm not saying they will necessarily be HT quality. But, calling them a failure based on an early proto image is premature IMO.

Dragon uniforms have gotten better over the years - they still churn out WWII Germans like nobody's business. But they're slightly smaller scale than the SSC or HT. But this is good news - I'd love to see the whole TNG crew and then move on to new movie figures and other series'.

I've gotta say, there's no way I'm spending $140 apiece for something that looks like this. Who are these guys?

3483075452_d8a43d9d60_o.jpg

I was contacted last year by a Japanese model company (forgot the name) which was working with Dragon to make some Picard, Data and Worf figures around this time this year. Wanted me to sculpt the heads starting with Picard. I'm assuming these are the same things?

I would've loved to (obviously!), but felt I had to say no because I already had commitments to existing customers on my waiting list. Just had no time to give without being unfair to people.

I hope these turn out ok though, I'd love a good set of Next Gen figures!

All I can say about this is WTF? I really liked NG and all the Trek shows that followed it. What I really want is Classic Original series figures. Since Diamond blocked the Scifimetropolis figures from getting made maybe SFM should try releasing their figures through a foreign country to get around the domestic licensing issue. I try not to be too judgmental about sculpts based on one small picture, but it's pretty obvious that the Patrick Stewart is not very good. Hard to tell with Data, and Worf looks like a Klingon but can't tell from the pic how much of Michael Dorn shows through in the sculpt.

ironman1188 still wondering if you want those accessories from the 9" figures. did i rake through my stuff for nothing? :)

Sorry, :monkey3 got way back logged with sooo much[/email]
Thanks!!

thats okay. off hand I don't remember exactly what I had...I think I had 1 TNG blaster, 1 OS blaster, some TNG comlinks, some medical packs. pm me your address. I just send it all to you, its not doing anything here except adding to the clutter.

Here's a regular DML head sculpt from a couple of years ago.

DSC01172.jpg
[/IMG]

IMHO they make great sculpts with great paint apps. Whether their sculptors can capture somebody's likeness remains to be seen.

Dragon has, in the past, made figures "resembling" :
Telly Savalas
Robert Duvall
Clint Eastwood
John Wayne
Kirk Douglas
Charles Bronson
Jude Law
Joaquin(?) Phoenix
Ed Harris
Dennis Rodman
Laurence Fishburne
Ben Affleck
Josh Hartnet
and many more.
The question is whether, having an actual license will produce better likenesses than those we have seen already. And why so steep in price? OUCH!!

As a Star Trek fan would you buy the Diamond Select retro Mego figures for nearly as much?

2595324e9722c32e0e53d7bea914cd1d309a53f0.jpg

I've owned a near complete set of 9" playmates figures and regret it, just too boring of a figure line. At least the villains have unique outfits.

Back