Does Rainman take commissions?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem, I figured you'd been jerked off enough. :lol

Andy and Ferris are great choices btw. There is an Andy out there btw, in his denim getup with his desk as an accessory, by art figures I believe. Not sure if it's of the caliber you're after, but just in case you're not aware. :) Ferris I would love to see, and I think it's as safe a bet as you will find in this hobby that he won't see mass production.

LOL - not that I mind being jerked off, but hey... ;)

I've seen the Andy by Art Figures, but I don't think the likeness is there, and the figure overall doesn't capture the spirit of the movie in my opinion. If I never have another option, I may go that route, but at the moment, I'll pass. As for Ferris - I would love to see it as well, obviously, but I agree that it would have to be a very limited run.

Andy as described would be a better statue dio than figure.

You might be right. I'd buy a premium format of that... ;)

Your best bet would be to contact Rainman directly. He is a member here (rainmanking).

To PopCult's point, though, beyond Teddy's David another, uh, previous member here also claimed to have multiple one-off customs done by Rainman I believe, and it felt to me like he was being truthful about it, though he never showed off pics or anything that I saw. If memory serves he claimed that one of these was another Tyler Durden, different from those Rainman released to everyone else. . .

Interesting.

I've literally just decided to enter the hobby, and it's all pretty overwhelming with all of the retail product out there, nevermind anything else.

I'm primarily a Star Wars guy, but have branched out to Marvel/DC. However, being a big movie guy as well, it would be great to have some of my favorites represented that way as well.

So, I'm mostly just gathering info at this point.

Thanks for the post!

@ Orrimarrko:
Got ya. Well if you want to commission something because you want to own a one of a kind piece, then that makes sense. But if you commission something that has mass appeal(like Ferris with grey/white leather & brown and black print vest; his most iconic look), that may get people pissed. A lot of people would want that so the etiquette would be to gather interest and see if a run could be made. This would make it cheaper for you because the more an artist makes, the cheaper he/she can offer it. So it's win win for everyone. You get it a lot cheaper than if you commissioned a one off, and everyone who got together on it gets a custom they wanted for a decent price.

I've been wanting a Ferris for awhile now. Wish we could make that happen

Rainman has historically been strongly influenced by guys who have messaged him about their requests and been able to persuade him that they would sell as regular releases. The Dude was apparently made, in part, because he won a poll here. One member successfully lobbied to get Pee-Wee made, another one seemed to play some role in getting Doc Holiday and Stansfield from the Professional made, while another still seemed to have a hand in getting Plainview from There Will Be Blood on his radar. I'm sure there are others.

I think Ferris in particular could be a Rainman project that would sell, depending on success with likeness. If you are able to get things done that way, then you could save a lot more money than it would cost trying to get a one-off custom done.

Denny Kim from Iminime has also been open to suggestions by members for releases apparently (most recent case being Fight Club). So, you may also shoot him an e-mail and see where that goes. One off customs would just seem so ridiculously expensive that I doubt I could ever justify it unless I won the lottery or something.

I think Ferris is more up Rainman's alley but then again, it was said that Iminime wanted to take on a bunch if 80's based stuff. Would love to have a top quality Ferris either way

@ Orrimarrko:
Got ya. Well if you want to commission something because you want to own a one of a kind piece, then that makes sense. But if you commission something that has mass appeal(like Ferris with grey/white leather & brown and black print vest; his most iconic look), that may get people pissed. A lot of people would want that so the etiquette would be to gather interest and see if a run could be made. This would make it cheaper for you because the more an artist makes, the cheaper he/she can offer it. So it's win win for everyone. You get it a lot cheaper than if you commissioned a one off, and everyone who got together on it gets a custom they wanted for a decent price.

I've been wanting a Ferris for awhile now. Wish we could make that happen

I follow you - absolutely. Cheaper? Hell yes. Available for others to have? Of course!

I only inquired because I figured that some of my 'wants' wouldn't be wanted by others (like the Al Bundy stuff.)

If there was enough interest in Ferris (for example) that would result in a run getting done, then I'm all for it.

I'm not one of those who has to have the only one of anything (except my wife and kids. :)) However, if that was the only way I could get it, that would be different, of course.

Rainman has historically been strongly influenced by guys who have messaged him about their requests and been able to persuade him that they would sell as regular releases. The Dude was apparently made, in part, because he won a poll here. One member successfully lobbied to get Pee-Wee made, another one seemed to play some role in getting Doc Holiday and Stansfield from the Professional made, while another still seemed to have a hand in getting Plainview from There Will Be Blood on his radar. I'm sure there are others.

I think Ferris in particular could be a Rainman project that would sell, depending on success with likeness. If you are able to get things done that way, then you could save a lot more money than it would cost trying to get a one-off custom done.

Denny Kim from Iminime has also been open to suggestions by members for releases apparently (most recent case being Fight Club). So, you may also shoot him an e-mail and see where that goes. One off customs would just seem so ridiculously expensive that I doubt I could ever justify it unless I won the lottery or something.

That's certainly good to know. Perhaps as I learn more and follow along with things, I'll see what kind of interest we'd have in one of these (like Ferris), and go from there.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I don't see more than a small handful going for Al Bundy, so don't think people would be up in arms if you tried to get one commissioned just for yourself. But I don't have issue with anyone commissioning a 1-off custom personally, and really don't think others have much room to complain. If you've got the money, and you can get a custom artist to do it, then I say go for it. Others may have sour grapes, but a business deal between two people is their decision, and no one is really entitled to anything IMO. I was glad Teddy was at least sharing his custom with others via his pics.

To PopCult's post, only thing there is it seems that Iminime needs to sell more product to make it worth his investment, since he has a huge team to support. I could be wrong about that, and don't really know how big Rainman's operation is. But I'm guessing that's why Rainman has taken on more obscure fare than Iminime seems focused on (which is stuff almost popular enough to get mass release from major companies, but not quite to that level, or maybe something that other companies choose not to release for some reason like Neo).

I would love to see someone take on Ferris myself, whomever it might be.

Just to further explain why that etiquette is a good way of handling more popular customs. Let's say someone commissions a Travis Bickle for instance, and they request a popular/iconic expression or outfit. The person who commissioned the work wouldn't want it replicated 'cause that's a possible reason why they dropped the big $$$ to begin with; to have a unique piece (another reason could be like you said. It would be the only way to get the figure due to lack of mass appeal or one of other various reasons). So now the artist won't make a run of that character to keep the high priced commission exclusive and unique. Or if they do, they would have do do significant tweaks to make the run different than the one off. So that's how that can potentially effect other collectors that may want the same character.

Other people may want Al but I think you're in the clear for the most part with him. I think there would be big interest for Ferris. There's a lot of interest on Andy too. I haven't seen it in a LONG time so I don't remember what he looked like in the rain/sewer scene. But I'm assuming it's wet, weathered look. That would probably fly easy as a one off because a full run would probably be more neutral or clean and less scene specific.

Hope all that we threw by you today helps. Just hang around the custom section and you'll get up to speed quick. You probably even figure out a lot of the private jokes that got past you :lol

:duff

Your best bet would be to contact Rainman directly. He is a member here (rainmanking).

To PopCult's point, though, beyond Teddy's David another, uh, previous member here also claimed to have multiple one-off customs done by Rainman I believe, and it felt to me like he was being truthful about it, though he never showed off pics or anything that I saw. If memory serves he claimed that one of these was another Tyler Durden, different from those Rainman released to everyone else. . .

I call BS.

He never showed them and has had multiple accounts and bans from here each time. Would love to be proved wrong and see them though.

Orrimarrko, the head sculpt alone would cost you in the reggion of US$3,000 with the clothing starting around US$1,000.

Not a definite Rainman would accept.

:duff

Bundy would be easy to bash clothing for, you really just need the headsculpt, While rainman is good, you could probably find other sculptors as talented for cheaper.

Also you never know who might be interested, if the sculpt was a good likeness more people may want it. I've often jumped on sculpts of characters I knew little about or was barely interested in because it was so well done. It's hard to get interest before there is a least a work in progress shot.

I agree Trevor is as good or better than Rainman.

People may also be more open for support as Trevor charges less than Rainman for casts of the sculpts.

That guys off the hook thanks for the link ..., but I need a sculpter on rm level who taken on work any suggestions guys ...

I saw you contacted Rocco, he is awesome, as well as Arsyn, then there is Snyderman, and Amnur.

These guys are off the chain let me tell ya'.

Your best chance at getting Andy would be with Iminime, they have been known for doing movie duos and they already proved they can sculpt Morgan freeman with there Somerset figure, so an Andy and Red I could defiantly see Iminime offering at some point.

Now Chances are there Andy would be clean but that is where you could commission someone like Elvis or another experienced custom artist to weather him up for you to recreate that scene in the rain.

Your best chance at getting Andy would be with Iminime, they have been known for doing movie duos and they already proved they can sculpt Morgan freeman with there Somerset figure, so an Andy and Red I could defiantly see Iminime offering at some point.

Now Chances are there Andy would be clean but that is where you could commission someone like Elvis or another experienced custom artist to weather him up for you to recreate that scene in the rain.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back