Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's scifi. They will break the 12 regen rule when the time comes but it's a well defined rule and deserves to be recognized.

I agree it will absolutely be broken. If you count it in as cannon, when Matt Smith guest starred on the Sarah Jane Adventures crossover as the Doctor, he was asked how many times he could regenerate and, if memory serves correctly, he said around a thousand regenerations. Someone please correct the paraphrasing with the correct quote if you know it.

As much as I love Doctor Who, and would hate to see it end, I don't think they should cheat on the 12 regeneration rule. It kinda flies in the face of one of the major themes that ran through the new series.

"Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world or a relationship, everything has it's time, and everything ends."

It's an academic argument though, as they absolutely will break it.

The Master has already broken the rule, he just had to sacrifice other lives to do it. But it is possible.

The question will be how will they break the rule for the Doctor?

I agree it will absolutely be broken. If you count it in as cannon, when Matt Smith guest starred on the Sarah Jane Adventures crossover as the Doctor, he was asked how many times he could regenerate and, if memory serves correctly, he said around a thousand regenerations. Someone please correct the paraphrasing with the correct quote if you know it.

That was just tongue in cheek. Even RTD (the writer) said it was just tongue in cheek. The Doctor said it to satisfy Clive and move on quickly.

My opinion is that since the High Council were the ones who doled out regenerations (and so presumably regulated the set amount of 12 regenerations per Time Lord and could extend or rescind as they saw fit), and they are no more because of the Time War, then there is no regulation and either the Doctor ends with the 12th Doctor (taking into consideration the Hurt Doctor) or he goes on regenerating without limit.

That was just tongue in cheek. Even RTD (the writer) said it was just tongue in cheek. The Doctor said it to satisfy Clive and move on quickly.

My opinion is that since the High Council were the ones who doled out regenerations (and so presumably regulated the set amount of 12 regenerations per Time Lord and could extend or rescind as they saw fit), and they are no more because of the Time War, then there is no regulation and either the Doctor ends with the 12th Doctor (taking into consideration the Hurt Doctor) or he goes on regenerating without limit.

:goodpost:Cool. Most appreciated. I just remembered watching that a few years ago and that kind of stuck out. I look forward to seeing how they carry out the regeneration. I wonder if it will reference back to the Valyard who was going to take the 6th Doctor's remaining regenerations? There are so many ways you can go with it. It's an exciting time for us old Whovians that have happily adopted the new series. By the way pix, where did you find the info that we may see a regeneration or some other reveal before November?

:goodpost:Cool. Most appreciated. I just remembered watching that a few years ago and that kind of stuck out. I look forward to seeing how they carry out the regeneration. I wonder if it will reference back to the Valyard who was going to take the 6th Doctor's remaining regenerations? There are so many ways you can go with it. It's an exciting time for us old Whovians that have happily adopted the new series. By the way pix, where did you find the info that we may see a regeneration or some other reveal before November?

Spoiler guy on twitter... he has since deleted his account but he has been pretty spot on with his spoilers baring one misfeed incident in 2008. :lol

The Master didn't break the 12 regenerations rule, the Timelords granted him further lives so he could fight in the Time War. Moffatt or Davies don't care about destroying some of the 'ethos' from the original so they can create a newer more sustainable franchise.

The Master didn't break the 12 regenerations rule, the Timelords granted him further lives so he could fight in the Time War. Moffatt or Davies don't care about destroying some of the 'ethos' from the original so they can create a newer more sustainable franchise.

The Master reached the end of his regeneration cycle with the Delgado incarnation and when that body died he body-hopped until he was eventually absorbed into the Eye of Harmony.

The Master from the new series is a resurrected Master with a new regeneration cycle.

The fact that the Doctors final resting place is that of his current tardis console room suggests that his regenerations are indeed coming to an end, that or the tardis design never changes again. (good thing it's a cool design! ;))

The Master reached the end of his regeneration cycle with the Delgado incarnation and when that body died he body-hopped until he was eventually absorbed into the Eye of Harmony.

The Master from the new series is a resurrected Master with a new regeneration cycle.

Thats what i was meaning, the Master never broke the 12 regeneration rule. When the series came back, John Sim's Master says the Timelords resurrected him giving him more regenerations so he could fight in the Time War. The Master used a chamelion device to escape the war, but did he use up anymore regenerations before the Jacobi/Sim regeneration?

I'm confused. You are quoting my post about the Simm Master, but your comment is about the TV movie. :huh

:lol You're confused because I derped a reply (because I missed the entire previous page) and then were quick to reading my stupid response before I could delete it.

Yeah, but that would expose them to a tremendous amount of "the explanation wasn't good enough!"

Certain fanboys like that Bcm guy would rather see the series end than to see an episode from 1976 be contradicted.

To be honest, I'd rather have them completely ignore it and have the 13th Doctor's run be free and clear of such a heavy storytelling burden if in the end it was a lame deux ex machina that changes the rule.

Its easier to ignore the edict than to play along like its real and then last minute go "never mind."

Possible. i'm KINDA expecting a deus ex machina explanation involving him jumping into his own timeline tear.

I don't know. I always kind of assumed That John Simm was the second or third regeneration.

May be i'm reading between the lines here, but when the Timelords brought The Master back to life to fight in the Time War, he chose instead to run and use a Chamelion Device to disguise him aa 'human'. As a human he wouldn't be able to regenerate so he grew old as Professor Yana (Derek Jacobi)....

Hence when the Chamelion Device is opened/turned off Derek Jacobi's Master is able to regenerate into John Simm's Master.

May be i'm reading between the lines here, but when the Timelords brought The Master back to life to fight in the Time War, he chose instead to run and use a Chamelion Device to disguise him aa 'human'. As a human he wouldn't be able to regenerate so he grew old as Professor Yana (Derek Jacobi)....

Hence when the Chamelion Device is opened/turned off Derek Jacobi's Master is able to regenerate into John Simm's Master.

Well to be fair he didn't regenerate because he grew to be an elderly human. He regenerated because his assistant shot him.

I would assume that part of the Master's plan to escape the Time War would have included changing his appearnace in more ways than what the Chamelion Arch would have allowed. I am inclined to believe that he forced himself to regenerate before he applied the Chamelion Arch in order to complete hide from the Time Lords with no chance of every being recognized.

If we see scenes from the Time War, I would like to see the return of the master. Whether it be the John Simms Joker,er Master, or someone else as the Master, to roll through next season with my favorite villain in action.

Back