Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least the new one is not as bad as the Trial of a Time Lord theme. :p

I haven't heard that one yet but I will inevitably get round to it once I can find another site for viewing old episodes that doesn't involve downloading as the one I was using until recently got shut down.

Play.com have a cool competition going at the moment with the main prize being a chance to meet Tom Baker prior to the recording session for the commentary on the "Seeds of Doom" DVD which is set for release next year.

So I guess I'm the only one here to who likes the new intro :huh

No I like the intro too, but I still wish the Doctor's face would appear during the credits (Although I hated the McCoy wink) It's just something that always stood out for me even as a child when I watched the beginning of the show.

As for Matt Smith, I think I found my favourite Doctor since Tom Baker. He seems almost as nutty as he was.

And Marvel should snap up Karen Gillan for MJ as quick as possible (As long as she do an American accent and it does not interfere with her Doctor Who schedule) She's gorgeous
karen-gillan-new-doctor-who-companion.jpg

As for Matt Smith, I think I found my favourite Doctor since Tom Baker. He seems almost as nutty as he was.[/IMG]

Much to my suprise I detected hints of Tom in his performance too.
Tom will always be THE Doctor in my eyes but Smith definitely has "it" and I hope he sticks around for a while.

I think the real clue about how great Matt Smith is going to be and the parallel to Tom Baker is that Tom in real life was a loon and Matt is the same way. While Tennant had this geek chic that was totally his own, but Smith has that certain "whatever it is" that Tom Baker has and that is why his Doctor will eclipse Tennant. I stateed a year ago that my opinion was that Tennant era will prove to be closer in popularity to Pertwee's before Tom Baker, rather than a TBaker/Davison kind of comparison.

I became a fan wayyy to late, so my first proper doc was Tennant. I have gone back and watched older episodes and i really like Tom Baker and from the older era's he is a fave. I really disliked Colin Baker he just had something unlikable about him. But i have to admit Tennant is the one i like most pretty much because he was who i got into first, I think Matt is going to do an awesome job judging by the first episode.

I was a huge Dalek fan not long ago, I always loved the way the Kaleds were always a hint of Nazi. But now they do WWII Daleks? And im not into it anymore :( :lol

I became a fan wayyy to late, so my first proper doc was Tennant. I have gone back and watched older episodes and i really like Tom Baker and from the older era's he is a fave. I really disliked Colin Baker he just had something unlikable about him. But i have to admit Tennant is the one i like most pretty much because he was who i got into first, I think Matt is going to do an awesome job judging by the first episode.

Yes, I got into Doctor Who late myself, and my first REAL introduction to the show was with Eccleston. I still miss him and wish he stayed for longer. Tennant was great and in my eyes surpassed Eccleston, but part of that was because he had more time to develop his character.

Tom Baker is definitely my favorite of the older era, but being so much older now, I am having a hard time getting into the stories now. I wish I watched Doctor Who when I was younger. Ofcourse, it was not on TV so I not have ever had the opportunity.

I think the real clue about how great Matt Smith is going to be and the parallel to Tom Baker is that Tom in real life was a loon and Matt is the same way. While Tennant had this geek chic that was totally his own, but Smith has that certain "whatever it is" that Tom Baker has and that is why his Doctor will eclipse Tennant. I stateed a year ago that my opinion was that Tennant era will prove to be closer in popularity to Pertwee's before Tom Baker, rather than a TBaker/Davison kind of comparison.

The major difference with Tennant compared to Pertwee is that at no time I could suspend my disbelief and believe he WAS the Doctor because he delivered his lines in a manner which made it sound like he only read the script for the first time 5 minutes before filming.

RTD's ploy of hiring a pretty face to bring in more female viewers worked like a charm but the show went through a creative black hole during that era which it is hopefully now emerging from.

The major difference with Tennant compared to Pertwee is that at no time I could suspend my disbelief and believe he WAS the Doctor because he delivered his lines in a manner which made it sound like he only read the script for the first time 5 minutes before filming.

RTD's ploy of hiring a pretty face to bring in more female viewers worked like a charm but the show went through a creative black hole during that era which it is hopefully now emerging from.

No the parallel I was attempting to draw was about popularity, not in the substance of the actor's portrayal.

No the parallel I was attempting to draw was about popularity, not in the substance of the actor's portrayal.

Sorry Marc, you know what I'm like when HE gets brought up :D

I wish his entire run would just be forgotten about.

This is pretty awesome IMO.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/CqR8A8ecKWo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/CqR8A8ecKWo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is pretty awesome IMO.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/CqR8A8ecKWo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/CqR8A8ecKWo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Venusian karate FTW!

I've seen this before and think that instead of wasting money with useless spinoffs like Torchwood and SJA the Beeb should concentrate on bringing more of the lost episodes from the show's past to life via some form of animation as the audio for them all still exists.

The animation style used for the missing parts of "The Invasion" would be preferable but as that video shows the anime approach would also be very effective.

Last edited:
I've seen this before and think that instead of wasting money with useless spinoffs like Torchwood and SJA the Beeb should concentrate on bringing more of the lost episodes from the show's past to life via some form of animation as the audio for them all still exists.

The problem is that from the BBC's perspective that's the useless project they'd be wasting money on. Sales figures for The Invasion didn't set the world on fire. Meanwhile their gambles on TW and SJA have really paid off. TW was strong enough to move to BBC2 and then to BBC1 and is currently in development for the US market. SJA is the biggest show on CBBC by some margin. As a fan I'd prefer your approach, especially because I don't think much of the first two TW seasons, but from a business perspective the BBC has made all the right moves.

Back