DiD Lord of the Rings - wave 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you not catch that these were from 2004? And they weren't exactly licensed, at least not properly.

But how can you even begin to start to say that they'd be alot (sic) better than SSC's? DiD hasn't really improved in 4 years whereas Gandalf and the hobbits are many light years beyond DiD's freshman efforts.

I will disagree about that... DiD has made some very big improvements over the last few years. Their WWII stuff is awesome and the Samurai figures are mind-blowing. Would they be better than Sideshow, probably a push but as a company they have come a long way since their beginnings.

did_orc.jpg

did_orc2.jpg

did_orc4.jpg

did_orc5.jpg

did_orc6.jpg

did_orc7.jpg

Those are some great looking orcs!(Perfect for army building)

My only nitpick with Saruman is his robes are too short but he still look pretty cool.:cool:

Man, that is sad these never saw the light of day... even if a little odd looking, they could have made for some interesting bashes :monkey2

Sad indeed...
DiD are the kings of WWII military, it would be interesting to see what they could do nowadays with something like LOTR.

a little ruff round the edges but there orcs they can get away with it. such a shame, 1/6 orcs would be awesome :banghead:banghead

I still can't believe DiD never released them. They aren't up there with Sideshow quality wise, but they're also not that bad. The Orcs actually look pretty decent and Gothmog looks very nice as well.

I still can't believe DiD never released them. They aren't up there with Sideshow quality wise, but they're also not that bad. The Orcs actually look pretty decent and Gothmog looks very nice as well.

Well, they never actually had the license. The sculpts are pretty rough, even for Orcs, but they would certainly have been great launching points for Orcs.

did_orc20.jpg

This one kills me -- it looks close to being a GOTHMOG, which is the one I really want.

Dave, do you think there's anyway to get/buy these figures or even the prototype sculpts?

These things got made somewhere.

It certainly looks like it was based on Gothmog, or at least inspired by him. Aside from the fact that DiD has come a long way in quality since these were first proposed, if they had made this second wave, the armour alone would be worth the price for making our own army of evil.

I've read advertisements that said their LotR line was primarily aimed at the Asian market. It may be that the LotR figures didn't sell well enough in the Asian market to justify continuing with Wave 2. What a bummer. :(

I've read advertisements that said their LotR line was primarily aimed at the Asian market. It may be that the LotR figures didn't sell well enough in the Asian market to justify continuing with Wave 2. What a bummer. :(

Yeah, apparently the Asian market isn't very interested in LOTR.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that Dave dredged these up from the long-forgotten unknown. I'm obsessed with them now. And quite honestly they're not that great. But it's just the idea... to know what could have been... now...

It's the damn armor that is the real roadblock here. I'd get a sculptor going yesterday if I knew how/where to get armor bits to cobble together a custom.

Maybe I should take another look at some of the DML/Ignite Viking and knights figures -- maybe the armor can be "adjusted".

Back