`Diary of The DEAD` Romero Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's an article about this in the latest Rue Morgue. I think they said it is getting a limited release in the middle to late Feb

There's an article about this in the latest Rue Morgue. I think they said it is getting a limited release in the middle to late Feb

I know it is playing at a theater near me after sundance. If something like this is playing in Utah, I don't think it will be hard to see :lol

Saw this at Sundance today and it was awesome! I haven't been so scared at a movie for a long time. The zombie deaths were over the top an hilarious, but totally fit at the same time. I recentely watched both NotLD and DotD and this was much better than either. DayotD and LotD are both waiting to be watched once Sundance is over.

The dark humor in this film just makes the film perfect. :lol

This movie is now out. :confused:

Released in theaters on FEb 15th.....limited release only. And unfortunately none of the theaters near me are playing it, so I'll have to wait till the DVD.

Anyone here lucky enough to see it (besides early screenings)?

Well, I did see it at Sundance, but it is the BEST of the Dead series IMO. I just watched the other 4 and this one is my favorite, followed by Day of the Dead and then Dawn of the Dead.

See it if at all possible. Just remember it is handheld camear work, but nowhere near as shakey as Cloverfield.

Well, I did see it at Sundance, but it is the BEST of the Dead series IMO. I just watched the other 4 and this one is my favorite, followed by Day of the Dead and then Dawn of the Dead.

See it if at all possible. Just remember it is handheld camear work, but nowhere near as shakey as Cloverfield.

Never saw cloverfield, how about compared to a pitu video?

Blasphemy!!! :lol

I'm just joking there, but seriously, Night is by far the best of Romero's dead films. You have to remember, back when Night was released, NOBODY thought to do what Romero did. Showing ghouls eating flesh back then was unheard of. He truly took it up a bunch of notches...kinda like when Babe Ruth was hitting 50 home runs a year, when the next best person was hitting 10. Not to mention, it was unheard of to cast an african american in a lead role, much less the hero.

Night was creepy as hell and I believe it has held up extremely well. Watching it for the first time was amazing. Dawn is amazing as well, from the commentary to the gore, it is a true epic. Day kinda lost me for a bit as it got kinda boring, but it has the best gore of the series. Land comes in second in the gore department by the smallest of margins, but I think it is the weakest of the series. I saw Diary last weekend, and while it was pretty good, I would only rank it tied with Day for third. After just seeing Cloverfield, I am getting sick of the "why are you still filming" and "put down the camera" dialogue.

One thing that is definitely universal with Romero's movies is this - bad acting!! The overall best acted movie was Land, which was the worst of the series...

My ranks would be:

1. Night
2. Dawn
3. Day
4. Diary
5. land

10.gif

I really wanted to love this movie.

10.gif

I really wanted to like this movie.

But it's the first time that I was really bored in a zombie movie!

4_9_7.gif

im not excited about this but I will go to see it no doubt.
With romero the problem is theres never much of a story , its just zombies and blood basically :lol
Not that theres anything wrong with just zombies and blood :lol

Blasphemy!!! :lol

I'm just joking there, but seriously, Night is by far the best of Romero's dead films. You have to remember, back when Night was released, NOBODY thought to do what Romero did. Showing ghouls eating flesh back then was unheard of. He truly took it up a bunch of notches...kinda like when Babe Ruth was hitting 50 home runs a year, when the next best person was hitting 10. Not to mention, it was unheard of to cast an african american in a lead role, much less the hero.

Night was creepy as hell and I believe it has held up extremely well. Watching it for the first time was amazing.

My ranks would be:

1. Night
2. Dawn
3. Day
4. Diary
5. Land

I completely agree. I saw Night on a late night TV horror show back in the early 70s with a few friends, and we were all totally blown away. Back then it had much more impact than anything that followed, 'cause nobody had ever seen anything like it before. The B&W "documentary" style, along with the complete lack of dialog, really tricked you into believing it was actually happening. Tony "Candyman" Todd was an unknown at the time, but he did a great job of selling the weirdness and horror of the situation, and he had you rooting for him to survive right up to the end. One of my all time favorite horror yarns. :D

I completely agree. I saw Night on a late night TV horror show back in the early 70s with a few friends, and we were all totally blown away. Back then it had much more impact than anything that followed, 'cause nobody had ever seen anything like it before. The B&W "documentary" style, along with the complete lack of dialog, really tricked you into believing it was actually happening. Tony "Candyman" Todd was an unknown at the time, but he did a great job of selling the weirdness and horror of the situation, and he had you rooting for him to survive right up to the end. One of my all time favorite horror yarns. :D

If Tony Todd was in it.....it was the remake of NOTLD, not the original. Check out the original Mudshark it was better. The original Ben was played by Duane Jones and it scared the crap 'outta me when I first saw it.

I've heard some good reviews of Diary...I will see it. I think it's playing in Pittsburgh, which is fitting....

If Tony Todd was in it.....it was the remake of NOTLD, not the original. Check out the original Mudshark it was better. The original Ben was played by Duane Jones and it scared the crap 'outta me when I first saw it.

I've heard some good reviews of Diary...I will see it. I think it's playing in Pittsburgh, which is fitting....

Okay, not Tony Todd. Must've confused that part with Savini's remake. And I actually was talking about the original, not the color version, which was also fun, by the way. But the original was by far the best, for the reasons I stated before. I think I saw it for the first time in like '70 or '71 and it totally scared the crap out of all of us back then. I may have to wait to see Diary on DVD, but if I can find it playing in any theaters around here, I'll definitely see it too.

Okay, not Tony Todd. Must've confused that part with Savini's remake. And I actually was talking about the original, not the color version, which was also fun, by the way. But the original was by far the best, for the reasons I stated before. I think I saw it for the first time in like '70 or '71 and it totally scared the crap out of all of us back then. I may have to wait to see Diary on DVD, but if I can find it playing in any theaters around here, I'll definitely see it too.

The freaky part for me was the rescue centers scrolling along the bottom of the screen. I was living in Ohio then and allot of my local cities were listed. Was a very weird feeling making it seem real.
I've liked all Romero's Zombie flicks...of course some more than others. But I found them all entertaining. I'm a Zombie flick fan though. Even the remake of Dawn was good...fast moving zombies! Jeesh! as if they weren't frightening enough, now they can run you down!

The freaky part for me was the rescue centers scrolling along the bottom of the screen. I was living in Ohio then and allot of my local cities were listed. Was a very weird feeling making it seem real.
I've liked all Romero's Zombie flicks...of course some more than others. But I found them all entertaining. I'm a Zombie flick fan though. Even the remake of Dawn was good...fast moving zombies! Jeesh! as if they weren't frightening enough, now they can run you down!

Oh, hell no! Fast moving zombies was the worst possible zombie scenario! At least with Romero's zombies they were slow and stupid enough that you had half a chance if you weren't surrounded and kept your wits, but having quick zombies added a whole new dimension to the horror. Pretty much game over. Yeah, the remake of Dawn was also loads of fun!

One of the things I like about Romero's zombie fests, besides the sheer horror factor, is Savini's little humorous touches with the zombie makeups and SFX. Quite a few of them have become "classics" in the realm of zombie films... and I'm sure you know exactly which ones I mean!

Btw, do you know if Savini was involved with Diary of the Dead? I can't imagine a Romero zombie romp without him, but I haven't heard anything about who worked on the SFX yet. Just wondering. :D

Back