DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one’s talking about Condiment King?

Attachments

• IMG_6641.jpeg
    IMG_6641.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
Not sure if it is just the rendering, but these look a lot brighter than the previous releases. Didn't DC Direct have Condiment King already drawn up and ready to go before they were shut down? Wondering if McFarlane is still just using the stuff it inherited or if this represents their own design.

Hoping scarecrow comes with other hands to actually use the scythe.

Condiment King looks great - however….

I’m not thrilled that they added cel-shading to him, as he will stand out when grouped with the older figures.

And much like @Buttmunch, I’m not thrilled about needing to buy four figures to get him.

Really excited about Condiment King. This is one of my absolute favorite lines, so if the only way for it to continue is to pay $100 for a new figure, I'll do it. I won't be happy about it, but there's no way I'm not getting this wave.

Hopefully I can at least make $40-50 by selling the others online. It would be amazing if future waves offered two reuse and two new figures, plus a new Build-A-Figure. That would be a dream come true, and chance to get characters DCD never got to.

My top wants would be Red Claw, Clock King, the Ninja, Hugo Strange, Maxie Zeus, and Bruce Wayne in his brown suit. They could continue to sprinkle in heavy hitters like the Joker, Harley, Batgirl, and Catwoman for those just starting to collect the line, as a set of only the minor characters I want probably wouldn't sell at retail.

It's also crazy that they never made The New Batman Adventures version of Penguin. Let's hope that's in the cards, too.

It's also crazy that they never made The New Batman Adventures version of Penguin. Let's hope that's in the cards, too.
Or TNBA Mad Hatter.
Dick Grayson Robin, Jason Blood, Commissioner Gordon, etc. would be nice as well. There are enough characters to still do AND do build-a-figure within those.

Condiment King looks great - however….

I’m not thrilled that they added cel-shading to him, as he will stand out when grouped with the older figures.

And much like @Buttmunch, I’m not thrilled about needing to buy four figures to get him.

As am I for the "convenience" of being able to own BTAS Scarecrow. No doubt cell shaded as well. Argh!!

The Condiment King wave is up for pre-order at Target. Plus a re-release of the Batcycle. October release.

The Batman looks terrible with the cel shading deco they did. Rest look great.

They all look terrible.

Looks like my Kenner figures as a kid when I’d put sharpie marker all over them. Batman, Robin, Freeze and Scarecrow are all gross looking.

Vorrei prendere solo il Condiment King ma vivere in Europa non so come fare per acquistare il set. Oltretutto le figure sono vendute separatamente e per me sarà più difficile :confused:

I'm really hoping they do a straight re-release of Alfred, Montoya, and Man-Bat at some point, without the ugly cel-shading so that they actually fit in with the other 20+ figures I have from the original line. I can't fathom why they thought switching to cel shading was a good idea after doing 30 or so figures without it.

I don’t mind cel shading like they did with the orange back Adventures Continue line. Batman and Joker looked great.

McFarlane’s idea of cell shading is awful though. It’s like NECA with wet paint. Really bad. DC Collectibles actually did a great job on the cell shading, particularly Batman’s blue streaks on the cowl and cape. Mondo and McFARLANE on the other hand, not so great.

I don’t mind cel shading like they did with the orange back Adventures Continue line. Batman and Joker looked great.

McFarlane’s idea of cell shading is awful though. It’s like NECA with wet paint. Really bad. DC Collectibles actually did a great job on the cell shading, particularly Batman’s blue streaks on the cowl and cape. Mondo and McFARLANE on the other hand, not so great.
All terrible and ugly cell shading, agreed. I've always hated that, even when it is well applied. I don't get the idea of highlights/shadow on 3D stuff... like, that's supposed to be used only on 2D stuff, for Christ's sake!!
And to apply that on Cond. King, an all-new fig, is a deal breaker... he will look off alongside the rest of the collection... like, the only fig cell-shaded.

Anyway...

Did you notice the all-new Batman headscultp? Whoever sculpted that was finally paying attention. Not the all-time best Batman head (that's still Kenner), but better than the previous DCC Batman headsculpts.
Take a closer look here:
https://www.target.com/p/mcfarlane-...atman-build-a-figure/-/A-89003459#lnk=sametab

Last edited:
Mmm for me, the jaw in the cel shaded batman is too big, doesn't match the proportions of the figure as in the Bruce Timm design. Upon a quick look at some episodes, it is a square jaw but never so broad as in this figure. Square but stylized.
The headsculpt of Mask of the phantasm pack and some of the expressions pack ones were better imo.

Mmm for me, the jaw in the cel shaded batman is too big, doesn't match the proportions of the figure as in the Bruce Timm design. Upon a quick look at some episodes, it is a square jaw but never so broad as in this figure. Square but stylized.
The headsculpt of Mask of the phantasm pack and some of the expressions pack ones were better imo.
I think the ears on this new headsculpt are better than those on previous heads, they are thinner/flatter, which is how Timm envisioned, as opposed to the other headsculpts' thick ears.
Agree about the chin, but, as a whole, I think this one wins.

Last edited:
You are right about the cowl. I think it comes down to what you look as more important, I prefer the old headsculps.
In fact nothing McFarlane has brought to this brand and particulary this line I regard as positive. The cash grab BAF, the horrible cel shading, that hideous batman animated they released with the building base. Same with the statues, smaller 1/10 for 500$ vs 1/6 for 120-150$~ they used to charge. Dc Direct did it with more taste and for a tighter budget.

Pd: did you guys see the batcycle? It's tacky af.

Back