Premium Format DC Comics Superman Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need to make the side elevation image to be more horizontal, look straight out, and not like he's looking down. by doing so, you should do better sculpting. once you are totally done then you can have it back. his lips need to stick out. more space is needed for the top of his lip and the bottom of his nose. you need to remove some flesh at the very bottom of his nose. superman got a somewhat pointed, eagle nose. one way of looking at it is by silhouette/contour. Mr. Green think his chin should be push back some first before you try on his lips.

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Green... I will get to that tonight I hope.

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Green... I will get to that tonight I hope.

another trick you can do is take Josh's pic and draw a silhouette/outline of sup's head to get a feel of his facial anatomy. sup got an ideal image of a man even though he's, strangely, an alien. there's nothing wrong with copying a professional work of art and play around with it. as long as you don't publish it and take credit. re-engineering is a great way to learn. once u get really good, you can branch off and define your own style. Jim Lee is a great artist but he tend to have anatomy that Sup is basically the same as Batman and maybe Aquaman, etc. Olivier Coipel's style is a little more wider it seem, IMO.

He kinda looks like king hulk spidey. Wrong thread! :lol

My Hulk is no pretty boy....lol.

BestHeadSculpt1_zps5f293421.jpg

Tweaked the jawline to properly line it up after this pic though ...lol

I think his ears are still too high and the neck is too long or the head is sitting up too much

Good catch workng on it now.

another trick you can do is take Josh's pic and draw a silhouette/outline of sup's head to get a feel of his facial anatomy. sup got an ideal image of a man even though he's, strangely, an alien. there's nothing wrong with copying a professional work of art and play around with it. as long as you don't publish it and take credit. re-engineering is a great way to learn. once u get really good, you can branch off and define your own style. Jim Lee is a great artist but he tend to have anatomy that Sup is basically the same as Batman and maybe Aquaman, etc. Olivier Coipel's style is a little more wider it seem, IMO.

I have to say bringing the head up helped me catch a lot of issues m8 so thank you for the suggestion.... I don't have updated pics, but I will. As for building up a sculpt based on a pro I have considered using the Andy B Reg portrait for just that purpose. After all that is how I learned to draw....lol.

My Hulk is no pretty boy....lol.

BestHeadSculpt1_zps5f293421.jpg

Tweaked the jawline to properly line it up after this pic though ...lol

Good catch workng on it now.

I have to say bringing the head up helped me catch a lot of issues m8 so thank you for the suggestion.... I don't have updated pics, but I will. As for building up a sculpt based on a pro I have considered using the Andy B Reg portrait for just that purpose. After all that is how I learned to draw....lol.

your hulk pic might not be professional grade but it look good for a hulk. unfortunately it seem u carried it over to sup with the mouth and jaw.

your hulk pic might not be professional grade but it look good for a hulk. unfortunately it seem u carried it over to sup with the mouth and jaw.

It is a fault with me not being use to sculpting, and me learning as I go. I may have been drawing for 30 years, but this is very different... lol. That is why I am listening to EVERYTHING you guys are saying though I may not get it right straight away I pro ose to keep on trucked.

Last edited:
Still a long way to go, but I kept working on this. I decided to rotate the head so that I could get the proportions down better, and I think it is coming along

Last edited:
Hey Spidey, these are far from perfect and I admit I didn't have anatomy ref up but I made a few paintover fixes that stood out to me. Hope it helps!

front-adjustment.jpg

side-adjustment.jpg

Thanks for the drawover/paintover sar. I will see what I can take from it. I find that I am at least slightly boxed in with some of the anatomy/style choices that I am making as I am trying to make a sculpt, that unlike some of the other custom heads I have seen, actually looks like it is inspired by Jim Lee's work, and that means that certain shapes and forms kind of have to be there. Like I said I will see what I can do, and thank you SO much for the help.

Thanks for the drawover/paintover sar. I will see what I can take from it. I find that I am at least slightly boxed in with some of the anatomy/style choices that I am making as I am trying to make a sculpt, that unlike some of the other custom heads I have seen, actually looks like it is inspired by Jim Lee's work, and that means that certain shapes and forms kind of have to be there. Like I said I will see what I can do, and thank you SO much for the help.

well if you look closely, all of Jim's work is still solid in anatomy. I haven't looked closely at his stuff recently but I doubt he is missing anatomical key points. He may average the lines a bit if its zoomed out but because his base proportioning and location is spot on, it reads as natural. If you look at this shot of his superman, his proportioning is closer to my paintover because his key anatomical reference points like nose, mouth, eyes are correct. He has just pushed other features around them to make it more his distinct look. Your sculpt is more pushing the features and not keeping the landmarks in the correct proportions to each other...does that make sense? In any case, they are all fixable and I'm sure whatever you do it will keep looking better and better. Good luck man!

side-adjustment-2.jpg

well if you look closely, all of Jim's work is still solid in anatomy. I haven't looked closely at his stuff recently but I doubt he is missing anatomical key points. He may average the lines a bit if its zoomed out but because his base proportioning and location is spot on, it reads as natural. If you look at this shot of his superman, his proportioning is closer to my paintover because his key anatomical reference points like nose, mouth, eyes are correct. He has just pushed other features around them to make it more his distinct look. Your sculpt is more pushing the features and not keeping the landmarks in the correct proportions to each other...does that make sense? In any case, they are all fixable and I'm sure whatever you do it will keep looking better and better. Good luck man!

side-adjustment-2.jpg

What you said makes perfect sense m8. Honestly, in the end m8 I am taking all of your advice into account. Just keep working on a little bit every night.

good job Sarakawa

It was good advice

Did about 1/2 an hour after I got home from work taking into account a few other pieces of advice as well

P.S. Guys I do appreciate the help and the feed back. I have these posted in a few locations, but I still haven't gotten as much specific and directed advice as I have from this community, and it has allowed me to move this along way faster so you have my sincere thanks.

Last edited:
What you said makes perfect sense m8. Honestly, in the end m8 I am taking all of your advice into account. Just keep working on a little bit every night.

It was good advice

Did about 1/2 an hour after I got home from work taking into account a few other pieces of advice as well

P.S. Guys I do appreciate the help and the feed back. I have these posted in a few locations, but I still haven't gotten as much specific and directed advice as I have from this community, and it has allowed me to move this along way faster so you have my sincere thanks.

yea, keep working at it...it'll get there!

This piece looks so awesome.
Oh hell yeah Shawn. This is a MUST have for any Supes fan. SSC flat out knocked this piece out of the park. I even like the EX noodle head. Very Jim Lee feel to it. I just wish the cape wasn't such a pain in the ass to take off and put on. I'd switch up the portraits all the time if it was as easy to change as the Bats PF. Regardless, this the BEST Supes statue I've ever seen. For me, nothing else even comes close.

Oh hell yeah Shawn. This is a MUST have for any Supes fan. SSC flat out knocked this piece out of the park. I even like the EX noodle head. Very Jim Lee feel to it. I just wish the cape wasn't such a pain in the ass to take off and put on. I'd switch up the portraits all the time if it was as easy to change as the Bats PF. Regardless, this the BEST Supes statue I've ever seen. For me, nothing else even comes close.

I'm glad I canceled my iron patriot quarter scale for this. Should be coming in by the end of next month. I'm so impatient. I wish I opted in for a full payment rather than splitting it up. I just have so much stuff on po, I have to space out payments

Back