Premium Format DC Comics Superman Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the frontal pic look somewhat fine but the side elevation is off. the back of his head should have a more round look that match a real skull. maybe start with a basic sketch of a skull and work in the hair after. assuming you model this based off the SSC's sup pf, his neck need to be a little longer or have the back muscle reach the neck lower. same with the front, he need room for an adam apple. basically he need a more neck height and less blocky head

Thanks Mr. Green. Yeah I have spent most of the time working on the portrait in terms of the front and side facial views, and the hair was just roughed in to kind of get the typical Jim Lee shape down. However, I will get to the more realistic shaping soon, and I might not have thought about it as much so thank you. As fore your assumption yes I am modeling this for the Superman PF, but I don't have the statue in hand yet so some of this is guess work till I have it in hand. I may also go to a fellow Freak who lives in Toronto and ask for a hand in terms of measurements and the like. Until then please keep the critiques coming as they are invaluable to getting this more down.

Anything in particular that you are looking at ink... if you are specific I can address it.

start with the skull as a base and then work your way out. currently, his chin is too wide, even for superman, and that makes him look like he have the chin of thanos or hulk. understand that even though the human face have lots of small muscles, the main one is the jaw muscle to the skull. no other muscles is that much noticeable. look at the iron man mark XLIII, at the top of this forum screen, it round and max at the top back, and round again toward the bottom, and a little space for the neck before the shoulder comes in. becareful with the hair, it tend to give the illusion of proportion. but even with the tony stark above, he got a high forhead.

Mr. Green is not a professional artist and he doesn't have the great tool that you have to work with. but anatomy is always the same. even char like hulk n thanos have to follow the basic anatomy. just be careful of too many peep praising you.

I think it's the chin and the cheekbones. Like the face is too flat or something...it's really noticeable on the side view

Thanks for the input ink I will work on that. I know it sounds odd, BUT I am not one of those shrinking violet artists. If I finish this and decide to do something with it, and I really think I am going to because I am liking it a lot, then I need help from fellow fans of the characters and of sculpting. I am such a newb at zbrush I need the extra eyes. Thanks for the input.

start with the skull as a base and then work your way out. currently, his chin is too wide, even for superman, and that makes him look like he have the chin of thanos or hulk. understand that even though the human face have lots of small muscles, the main one is the jaw muscle to the skull. no other muscles is that much noticeable. look at the iron man mark XLIII, at the top of this forum screen, it round and max at the top back, and round again toward the bottom, and a little space for the neck before the shoulder comes in. becareful with the hair, it tend to give the illusion of proportion. but even with the tony stark above, he got a high forhead.

Mr. Green is not a professional artist and he doesn't have the great tool that you have to work with. but anatomy is always the same. even char like hulk n thanos have to follow the basic anatomy. just be careful of too many peep praising you.

Mr. Green if I just wanted praise I wouldn't post here... Lol. I posted here for help and multiple sets of eyes to help me backstop my work. Do I love praise like everyone else... Damn skippy I do, BUT I grow more and do better work when people are critical. I have been drawing for years, but I am SO new to this 3D stuff that I am really working on trying to get something great out of this tool. I want to be DAMN good, and I figure that the fans of these pieces are some of the best people to go to for advice.

Finally, just because you are not a professional artist doesn't mean you don't have knowledge that can help me get better, and that is what I need. Trust me when I say I truly appreciate the input.

Last edited:
Did about another our... Might have gerafee necked him...

Supermannecktweak1_zps1533c10c.jpg

Supermannecktweak2_zps96de58a1.jpg

Supermannecktweak3_zpsd8ee5706.jpg

Does anyone have a profile view of the Ex head handy I could use for a reference for angle and length?? It would be a big help, and much appreciated.

Hey Spidey, for someone with 1.5 months of zbrush experience, I'd say that's not bad. But as a professional character artist in the gaming industry who does zbrush everyday sculpting anatomy, I would say you will be better served applying more anatomical foundation before getting into detailing it to look like clarke kent. You're sculpting shapes rather than the proper underlying structure associated with solid anatomy. For good simplified head anatomy, try studying "planes of the head." Should come up fast when you google that. Mr. Green is absolutely correct when he says start with the skull and think about how the muscle and skin overlays on top of that. Among obvious stuff about the jaw, you are clearly missing an eye socket. I've seen a lot of your illustrations and while you have definitely improved, there are a lot of anatomical, proportional, and foreshortening mishaps. I will say that everytime I see your new stuff, it gets better so you are clearly a solid artist learning from your mistakes and getting better at your craft. Keep it up man!

Thanks Josh that helps a lot m8.

Hey Spidey, for someone with 1.5 months of zbrush experience, I'd say that's not bad. But as a professional character artist in the gaming industry who does zbrush everyday sculpting anatomy, I would say you will be better served applying more anatomical foundation before getting into detailing it to look like clarke kent. You're sculpting shapes rather than the proper underlying structure associated with solid anatomy. For good simplified head anatomy, try studying "planes of the head." Should come up fast when you google that. Mr. Green is absolutely correct when he says start with the skull and think about how the muscle and skin overlays on top of that. Among obvious stuff about the jaw, you are clearly missing an eye socket. I've seen a lot of your illustrations and while you have definitely improved, there are a lot of anatomical, proportional, and foreshortening mishaps. I will say that everytime I see your new stuff, it gets better so you are clearly a solid artist learning from your mistakes and getting better at your craft. Keep it up man!

Thanks for the advice sarakawa. You are totally right that I am focusing on the shapes right now, and that I probably added details to soon, but I thought I was further along with the anatomy. It is the comic book artist in me to an extent. We tend to push anatomy, proportion, and foreshortening to the line and past it at times to varying results. However, I am learning that it doesn't work with ZBrush as it just looks wrong. Thanks for the eyesocket catch I had one sculpted, but lost it along the way as I didn't mask it when I was working to on his check bones. Still learning....lol. Again thanks for the advice m8.

So I just bought this along with the terminator 1/6 battle damaged. I split it into 2 payments. The 25th of next month will be the final payment. I also forgot that my iron patriot pf's final payment is on the same day too. Next month is going to be awesome :)

Got my custom cape today from DynamicMenace! This is not a knock on the original cape (I love it) this is just for alternate display :)

Sorry about the bad pics which do not do the cape justice.

P1220857.JPG

P1220848.JPG

P1220854.JPG

Back