David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

I couldn't disagree more. It was Will Smith playing Deadshot. No way the Floyd Lawton I read goes around talking about Phil Jackson, triangle offenses, pep talks, or makes jokes in any way. He's a psychopath with a death wish. A unpredictable cold blooded killer with no remorse. A man who gets the job he's been paid to do done. Even his relationship with his daughter in the movie is far deeper than it was in the comics. The Deadshot in this movie was deadly with guns/weapons. That's where the comparison ended for me.
Not defending this movie, but I keep hearing how Deadshot is this and that, but the other day I read Legends and I don't see anything from Will Smith in the trailers and such, that seems really out of character to me.

You're missing the point that Batman can take down a criminal whenever he wants and chooses not to do so when a child's safety may be at stake.

That absolutely is not a given with the likes of Deadshot.

He doesn't give them immunity just because they have a kid or their mother's name is "Martha"--well, at least the first part is true. As for your cops comment, cops don't dress like a bat with the intention of terrorizing criminals and making them **** their pants from fear, but they do have something in common with Batman in that they try not to endanger children. Even if Deadshot was beating his daughter, Batman would get her to safety before beating his ass. The innocent are the priority--not being a **** or looking cool when he drops from the roof. I understand you like reckless, unstable Batfleck,

Okay so Batman is supposed to be a stable and careful...weirdo who dresses like a bat and makes bad guys crap their pants from fear. Nah. Maybe "your Batman" who exists in your old comics but that's no more the only valid take on the character than Russo Captain America is.

but for many lifelong fans of the character like myself, these new DC films are disregarding the moral code that makes Batman Batman. Read more comics instead of relying on these new DC movies and you'll get where I'm coming from.

Why should I "read more comics" that are not connected to the "DC movies" we're talking about? Just so I can criticize the onscreen character more severely? That'd be silly. This is like you saying "Wow, The Winter Soldier, what a cool movie, and Captain America was really cool too" and then I go "No he wasn't, he killed bad guys. The Russos don't understand him at all. Go read *40 years* worth of comics from the 60's to the early 2000's to see what I'm talking about." Just because a character is one way for decades doesn't mean they can't ever be re-invented. Tim Burton proved that a long time ago.

At the end of the day Deadshot's daughter was a savvy girl who knew what her dad did, did NOT watch Batman take him down, and didn't appear the least bit traumatized. Who knows what would have happened if Deadshot opened fire? Maybe doing all of his detective work Batman learned that Deadshot's daughter was the one thing that pacified him and approaching him when she was near was actually the best way to take him in without collateral damage. Or maybe Bruce was simply bluffing, and if Deadshot resisted he would have said "Dammit" and disappeared into the shadows for her sake.

No need to manufacture a problem that didn't actually appear on screen.

Last edited:

It almost seemed to me like Floyds daughter set him up. She wasn't crying for Batman to not take him.

DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

Will Smith is to Deadshot is like what Robert Downey is to Iron Man, they both improvise a lot because they're very charismatic so the character they play becomes them and to be honest they're personality is probably way more entertaining than the characters they're playing. Will Smith was different at times, but for the most part was just himself yet I thought he was by far better than everyone else in the movie who were trying hard to portray the characters from the comics. I wonder why Downey doesn't get criticized like Will Smith does.

Will Smith > Deadshot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Smith is to Deadshot is like what Robert Downey is to Iron Man, they both improvise a lot because they're very charismatic so the character they play becomes them and to be honest they're personality is probably way more entertaining than the characters they're playing. Will Smith was different at times, but for the most part was just himself yet I thought he was by far better than everyone else in the movie who were trying hard to portray the characters from the comics.

Will Smith > Deadshot
Yeah, in what little I've read of Deadshot, because he's a D-lister at best, he's a very bland character, just villain fodder really. It surprised me that apparently he has some fans actually :lol

In Legends he's "flyboy this, flyboy that" and dropping a few one liners, didn't seem like such a sociopath to me, an attitude sure, but nothing out of Smith's personality really, same for everything else he's in that I've read.

It's not even comparable to Iron Man in terms of personality change.

Now to be fair, I have never read anything where Deadshot is the titular character, because I don't care about him :lol so maybe there's a version there that his fans wanted, but Smith isn't exactly out of character to begin with.

A character I do know and like is Boomerang, and they seem to have nailed him, even if he's an unnecessary character in this.

DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

Yeah, in what little I've read of Deadshot, because he's a D-lister at best, he's a very bland character, just villain fodder really. It surprised me that apparently he has some fans actually :lol

In Legends he's "flyboy this, flyboy that" and dropping a few one liners, didn't seem like such a sociopath to me, an attitude sure, but nothing out of Smith's personality really, same for everything else he's in that I've read.

It's not even comparable to Iron Man in terms of personality change.

Now to be fair, I have never read anything where Deadshot is the titular character, because I don't carea bout him :lol so maybe there's a version there that his fans wanted, but Smith isn't exactly out of character to begin with.

Purists will ***** about everything, half the time they're the reason why a movie sucks :lol

Believe me this movie was Fantastic Four levels of bad, and Will Smith was carrying the movie up until the god awful 3rd act where he couldn't even make it watchable :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purists will ***** about everything, half the time they're the reason why a movie sucks :lol

Believe me this movie was Fantastic Four levels of bad, and Will Smith was carrying the movie up until the god awful 3rd act where he couldn't even make it watchable :lol

Oh I'm not holding anything against said purists, it's a fair criticism if they don't have what they consider to be the best version of a character, maybe Deadshot IS as interesting as they say, but I doubt I'll ever find out cause there's much to keep up with for me to care about Deadshot :lol

I read that he liked it, but its a real treat to see a more in depth view of this thoughts on the film.

Always enjoy Kevin Smith's view on the DC films. He knows his stuff with comics, but especially DC. He's written some great stuff for DC over the years.

I read that he liked it, but its a real treat to see a more in depth view of this thoughts on the film.

Always enjoy Kevin Smith's view on the DC films. He knows his stuff with comics, but especially DC. He's written some great stuff for DC over the years.

Kevin Smith will never admit to hating a DC movie, he almost did with Batman v Superman when he said the movie had no soul and then some weeks later he makes an HOUR long video bascially apologizing for saying bad things about BvS :lol and saying how he was wrong and how BvS DID have soul....

This movie has Harley, he named his kid after Harley... there was NO WAY in HELL he would say he hated this if he really did.
sure he might have liked this, but IF he didn't, there is no way he would let it be known. They even gave him the Baseball bat used in the movie for his daughter when the movie was finished shooting.... i mean come on :lol

Don't have a problem with anything that Batman did in the movie. Will Smith's daughter seemed to be on Batman's side. Nothing we're shown seemed out of character for him.

I've had no issues with how Affleck's Batman has been presented two films in so far. The biggest offense involving his Batman/Bruce Wayne is that he's in, A. awful movies and B. sometimes I notice it's clearly not Affleck in the suit (fighting scenes, the Batmobile close up shots in Suicide Squad). Some of the angles they shoot him in aren't the greatest and he sometimes looks Clooneyesque, but that's a nitpick. He's been the best part of this universe in my opinion.

The credits scene with Bruce was stupid though.

That absolutely is not a given with the likes of Deadshot.

Yeah, he's real tough to find taking his daughter shopping. Follow him and confront him when he drops her off.

Okay so Batman is supposed to be a stable and careful...weirdo who dresses like a bat and makes bad guys crap their pants from fear. Nah. Maybe "your Batman" who exists in your old comics but that's no more the only valid take on the character than Russo Captain America is.

HPOrQBa.gif

Are you saying he can't be stable and instill fear? Are you kidding me? You're knowledge of Batman is too low to even have this conversation. The character of Batman is the epitome of discipline and control. He's trained his mind and body to their peak condition and leaves nothing to chance. And that's not just the old comics. It's damn near every incarnation of him except mental patient Batfleck.

Why should I "read more comics" that are not connected to the "DC movies" we're talking about? Just so I can criticize the onscreen character more severely? That'd be silly. This is like you saying "Wow, The Winter Soldier, what a cool movie, and Captain America was really cool too" and then I go "No he wasn't, he killed bad guys. The Russos don't understand him at all. Go read *40 years* worth of comics from the 60's to the early 2000's to see what I'm talking about. Just because a character is one way for decades doesn't mean they can't ever be re-invented. Tim Burton proved that a long time ago.

Of course they can be reinvented, but they should be reinvented for the better. Batman used a gun in the old comics but he's been reinvented over the years to be against them. For his character, that's an improvement and it makes sense that he'd have an aversion to them considering how his parents died. The complaints I have about Batman in these new films can also be attributed to my issues with how they've portrayed Superman. I've read thousands of comics in my life and watched the cartoons and movies, and present throughout every form of media, there are certain aspects of these characters that make them who they are. The core of these characters matter--not just the costume. Every character DC uses in their movies should be respected and represent the heart of the character that's been around for decades, otherwise just make up new heroes and villains. Their box office would skyrocket if they had someone that cared about their characters like Marvel does or like Fox did for Deadpool. For your Captain America example, Captain America is not Batman. Captain America is a soldier that killed in the war--there's a different mentality there. If you read his comics, you'd see that the Russo brothers got character right.

HOW would this squad go after a superman?

Amanda Waller says "what if the next superman is bad"

but... what if THIS superman turned evil? lets say there is no more kryptonite left, what could a chick with a sword and a crazy girl with a bat and a fish man do against superman if he turned evil?

this whole thing is so stupid in principle. forget enchantress, how would they deal with a superman? not even diablo could do anything

Captain America is a soldier that killed in the war--there's a different mentality there. If you read his comics, you'd see that the Russo brothers got character right.

Not after Stan Lee's reintroduction of him into 1960's canon. Every single flashback of Cap post-freeze was him punching out Nazis and not killing them. Which you'd know if you'd read any of his Volume 1 or Volume 2 stories from 1968 to 2000. Millar and Brubaker retroactively made him a Nazi killer. Johnston and The Russos combined elements of multiple decades worth of reinterpretions of the character when they brought him to the screen.

But I get it. Affleck sucks because you aren't getting the exact version you wanted from the comics. I don't see him as being any worse than the homicidal and/or reckless Batmans we've been seeing on screen for almost 30 years (specifically Keaton and Bale, obviously) and apparently you can't handle a difference of opinion on that regard so we can end the discussion.

It's still applies with an all powerful Witch goddess though Khev. It's stupid with Superman and it's stupid with her. Everyone's suggestions from an Arkham raid to a Middle East or dictator conflict for the Suicide Squad to tackle is much better.

The threat should have been smaller for acrobat girl, gunman, Boomerrang guy, the human torch, gator dude and sword lady.

Not after Stan Lee's reintroduction of him into 1960's canon. Every single flashback of Cap post-freeze was him punching out Nazis and not killing them. Which you'd know if you'd read any of his Volume 1 or Volume 2 stories from 1968 to 2000. Millar and Brubaker retroactively made him a Nazi killer. Johnston and The Russos combined elements of multiple decades worth of reinterpretions of the character when they brought him to the screen.

But I get it. Affleck sucks because you aren't getting what you wanted from the comics. I don't see him as being any worse than the homicidal and/or reckless Batmans we've been seeing on screen for almost 30 years (specifically Keaton and Bale, obviously.)

Captain America did kill in the war in the older comics. Him killing isn't a modern reinvention. You need to read more for research.

vxjVN.jpg

UVXqQ.jpg

Back