David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

I think this film will be a grower!

IDVz74A.gif

Enchantress' brother and his armies were "well known?" I must have missed that because in the movie I watched they were brand new threats that basically appeared out of thin air.

And who SHOULD they have sent instead of Harley? The army? They did. But they didn't know if the army would be enough. So they went with the crazies as well. And do you know that even Green Berets sometimes freeze up in combat? Watch that documentary series "No Man Left Behind" if you want to see a real life example or two. Harley demonstrated time and again to US law enforcement/the government that she could clear a room of highly trained combatants without breaking a sweat AND she was guaranteed to never freeze up like that guy on the stairs in Saving Private Ryan. And these were literal monsters they were going up against, not human terrorists. As she so eloquently said in the film she's actually used to see such nightmares anytime she goes off her meds. In an insane world she was the sanest choice, it's how these movies work.

And they didn't need "origin" movies to establish these characters as villains first. Did we get prequels before the bad guys went to work in The Dirty Dozen or Escape from New York? Of course not.

I also love the notion that Batman won't ever apprehend a criminal who has a kid with him.

"New rules sir?"

"Yeah, the guy who murdered hundreds is taking a walk with his kid so I have to let him go."

"Why exactly?"

"Because of my parents Alfred, because of my parents."

"But you aren't going to murder him. You're just going to take him to jail right?"

"But...the child..."

"You dress as a ****ing BAT and literally scare the **** out of people for hours on end every night, probably quite a few kids too, are you really going to just let him go to kill and orphan hundreds more? Isn't that helping the criminals?"

"We've always been criminals Alfred."

Yeah, **** that. :lol

I prefer:

SWOOP KICK PUNCH

Kid: "Aiiieee!"

Batman: "Sorry you had to see that kid, but your dad had it coming. His victims weren't so lucky." *disappears*

As it stood in the actual film Batman gave Deadshot the option to go quietly so that the kid wouldn't be traumatized anyway and *he did* so even then it's a non-issue.

I understand that this film had a ton of issues--and that you understand that as well--but you've got to be ****ing kidding me that you think Batman would allow himself to be the source of a kid's trauma by attacking their father in front of them. :lol I know you probably haven't read many Batman comics considering you hadn't read The Dark Knight Returns until BvS came out, but there isn't one instance in which Batman has done that. Didn't do it in the comics, didn't do it in the cartoons, didn't do it in the other films. In fact, there have been instances in the comics in which he goes out of his way to make sure a criminal's kid isn't around. Batman understands more than anyone how losing a parent affects a child (especially when it happens in front of them)--not only with his personal experience but three Robins also went through it. Now it's ok because Batfleck? The writers messed up writing him as a hero that would intentionally risk putting a child in the middle of a potential fight just so the audience could see how much Deadshot loves his daughter. And I still don't see why Batman would need Waller to give him a head's up on Deadshot's whereabouts in Gotham except to further the ****** plot device that Batman and Waller need to work together because reasons.

Last edited:

Just got back from seeing it again. I took my parents to this showing since they enjoy the DC shows & films as well as Marvel's films. They're 50 and aren't geeks by any means, they only know what they've seen in the films & shows. Here are their thoughts:

Mom: Really liked Harley! Thought she was the best character. She thought all the actors did a good job, and thought that Leto's Joker was more sinister than the others. She thought he looked scary, especially with his "weird teeth". Her 1st question when the lights came up was about Diablo, she was asking if he was really gone :( She liked his story arc and felt bad for him. She said it was a "really exciting movie". She really enjoyed Batman v Superman, but she liked all the different characters in this film too. She said she wanted me to take her again before it leave the theaters lol.

Dad: He really liked the film, better than BvS. He thought BvS was kind of slow. His favorite parts were the Batman scenes, he thinks Affleck is the best part about these new films. He said that Leto's Joker was very different than Jack and Heath's, but he said he like the mobster feel he had to him. He said he liked all the action and the fire effects. He wants to see more Deadshot, said he was his favorite character in the squad. He said all the characters were really interesting and that the movie "had something for everyone" with the characters being different in personality from one another.

Side note: They got REALLY excited when the saw the Wonder Woman trailer. They said that I have to take them to the Thursday night showing with all my friends (I usually take them on Sunday afternoons when its slower). Lol, it was fun to see them so excited for a comic film.

Just got back from seeing it again. I took my parents to this showing since they enjoy the DC shows & films as well as Marvel's films. They're 50 and aren't geeks by any means, they only know what they've seen in the films & shows. Here are there thoughts:

Mom: Really liked Harley! Thought she was the best character. She thought all the actors did a good job, and thought that Leto's Joker was more sinister than the others. She thought he looked scary, especially with his "weird teeth". Her 1st question when the lights came up was about Diablo, she was asking if he was really gone :( She liked his story arc and felt bad for him. She said it was a "really exciting movie". She really enjoyed Batman v Superman, but she liked all the different character in this film too. She said she wanted me to take her again before it leave the theaters lol.

Dad: He really liked the film, better than BvS. He thought BvS was kind of slow. His favorite parts were the Batman scenes, he thinks Affleck is the best part about these new films. He said that Leto's Joker was very different than Jack and Heath's, but he said he like the mobster feel he had to him. He said he liked all the action and the fire effects. He wants to see more Deadshot, said he was his favorite character in the squad. He said all the characters were really interesting and that the movie "had something for everyone" with the characters being different in personality from one another.

Side note: They got REALLY excited when the saw the Wonder Woman trailer. They said that I have to take them to the Thursday night showing with all my friends (I usually take them on Sunday afternoons when its slower). Lol, it was fun to see them so excited for a comic film.

Great! Laughed at the "weird teeth" :lol

Just got back from seeing it again. I took my parents to this showing since they enjoy the DC shows & films as well as Marvel's films. They're 50 and aren't geeks by any means, they only know what they've seen in the films & shows. Here are their thoughts:

Mom: Really liked Harley! Thought she was the best character. She thought all the actors did a good job, and thought that Leto's Joker was more sinister than the others. She thought he looked scary, especially with his "weird teeth". Her 1st question when the lights came up was about Diablo, she was asking if he was really gone :( She liked his story arc and felt bad for him. She said it was a "really exciting movie". She really enjoyed Batman v Superman, but she liked all the different characters in this film too. She said she wanted me to take her again before it leave the theaters lol.

May I ask how old you are?
Parents? Early 50's? Late?

I like when he says "Film critics showed up to see a film, not validate their obsession with a ****ing action figure.". Lol, that hits close to home.

So this is this decade's batman and robin then?

Made for toys? Is that why this joker looks so pathetic?

Great! Laughed at the "weird teeth" :lol

Lol, they're fun to take to the movies.

May I ask how old you are?
Parents? Early 50's? Late?

I'm 26, and they're both exactly 50. They always tried to take an interest in my hobbies when I was younger. It's much easier now for them now since a lot of traditional geeky stuff has become so much more mainstream & better tailored to everyone vs just hardcore fans.

That's why I usually take them to see these films or in the fall I'll stop by their place on a weeknight every week to watch Gotham & Flash with them. They REALLY like Gotham and Flash. Lol, they won't even wait for me if I have to miss a week!

I loved it. All of the Squad was awesome. Joker was creepy and I want to see more. The plot may have been simple but it was a fun movie. Not sure why it is getting the hate it is. It was better than a lot of the Marvel movies which critics and fans seem to give passes for a lot of the same issues. Even my wife liked it and she hates comic book movies.

I give it an 8/10. Can't wait to see it again.

If DC is the conservative comic-book universe to Marvel’s pseudo-progressivism, it couldn’t be more unpopular among kids who enjoyed the ludicrous platitudes of Avengers: Age of Ultron.

They both (Snyder and Ayer) approach a childish genre like adults — and that’s what annoys the Marvel kids, whose bad rap on Suicide Squad has already gone viral.

Think metaphorically again, and see that Suicide Squad entangles post-Vietnam and post-9/11 notions about heroism and citizenship. Deadshot does the right, patriotic thing, yet compliments Waller, his treacherous superior, saying, “That’s gangsta!” This use of hip-hop cynicism speaks more directly to modern confused ethics than most lines from other movies and most politicians. Suicide Squad is The Dirty Dozen for millennial viewers (and voters), who think their patriotic moral conflict is new.

One thing that really would have made this better was if DC took the Marvel approach and built this up as a bad guy Avengers. Had they given us a Flash movie with Boomerrang as a bad guy, even as a movie intro type of villain, that would have helped. Had they given us our Batman movie with Joker and Harley with appearances of Croc and Deadshot, that would have helped. If they had Waller show up in all of these ala Nick Fury, that would have helped. I think they pulled this off, but it would have been a much richer experience if we had encountered all, or most of these villains before. That's what worked so well with the Avengers film. We saw them all separately, saw what they could do on their own, then we got to enjoy them coming together and trying to mesh. I feel DC's plan of just jumping into things without the ground work Marvel has done isn't working for them. They want that Avengers type box office haul without all of the work before hand. Sure we know who Batman, Superman, Joker, Wonder Woman, etc are, but that doesn't mean we don't need to see how they fit in this incarnation beforehand.

I'm hoping we get a Joker/Harley centric movie as a spin off and a Deadshot lead Suicide Squad 2 without Harley. Change up the roster a bit, add King Shark or have Croc mutate larger so they have a big CGI muscle guy this time. I think now they've introduced us to Deadshot, they don't need to keep Harley apart of the squad to get people interested. Otherwise every SS movie will have the Joker trying to come after her and that would get old.

One thing that really would have made this better was if DC took the Marvel approach and built this up as a bad guy Avengers. Had they given us a Flash movie with Boomerrang as a bad guy, even as a movie intro type of villain, that would have helped. Had they given us our Batman movie with Joker and Harley with appearances of Croc and Deadshot, that would have helped. If they had Waller show up in all of these ala Nick Fury, that would have helped. I think they pulled this off, but it would have been a much richer experience if we had encountered all, or most of these villains before. That's what worked so well with the Avengers film. We saw them all separately, saw what they could do on their own, then we got to enjoy them coming together and trying to mesh. I feel DC's plan of just jumping into things without the ground work Marvel has done isn't working for them. They want that Avengers type box office haul without all of the work before hand. Sure we know who Batman, Superman, Joker, Wonder Woman, etc are, but that doesn't mean we don't need to see how they fit in this incarnation beforehand.

I'm hoping we get a Joker/Harley centric movie as a spin off and a Deadshot lead Suicide Squad 2 without Harley. Change up the roster a bit, add King Shark or have Croc mutate larger so they have a big CGI muscle guy this time. I think now they've introduced us to Deadshot, they don't need to keep Harley apart of the squad to get people interested. Otherwise every SS movie will have the Joker trying to come after her and that would get old.
I can see SS2 not having Harley especially if they at gonna do that Harley lead film maybe Gotham City Sirens. Also she will probably appear in the solo Batman film.

:exactly: :lecture

Hell, sometimes Marvel doesn't even bring in the haul they were expecting (AOU) after putting in all that work.

Back