Darren Carnall's creative corner

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Darren, that new custom of the WWI soldier is JAW DROPPINGLY AWESOME! I can't believe what you did with that original head and how awesome the sculpt and the repaint was (and very close likeness to the pics you were working from). Your patron will no doubt find it very special and I almost wish I could be there when he gives it to his father. Such a special (and unique) gift for a loved one...

Bravo my friend. :clap

Last edited:
OMG Darren!!! that is unreal! seriously, the sculpt looks EXACTLY like those pics!!!! The details in the hair, the hat, the eye paintup... it is gorgeous and so lifelike.

Congratulations Darren. This is something to be very very proud of.

I knew I was going to the right person when I contacted you... :D

Truely inspirational work Darren.

This commission clearly meant alot to you and your committment to honouring your clients grandfather really shows in the piece you created. The details are perfect and im awestruck by how well you captured his likeness, the sculpt and paint work is sublime. Having this made as a gift is a warming gesture and no doubt it will be cherished for a lifetime.

Well done Darren, you must be very pround of this one.

Wow, the soldier looks amazing. He looks just like the man in the photos. This is especially impressive given the fact that you had only 4 photos to work from. You have a very keen eye (well, I suppose that's obvious given the incredible quality of all your work). And your attention to detail is awesome. I'm sure your client must feel quite fortunate to have had the opprtunity to work with you.:D

oh...ma...GAWD! that is incredible Darren! i remember this guy asking around about this project (over at OSW i think) and thinking what a wonderful gift it would make to his Dad. you REALLY did it up right for him. amazing

:bow :eek: :bow

thanks guys. Your comments mean so much to me. I'm really proud of this one, and I can't wait to hear about when he gives it to his Dad finally. I'll let you all know how it went.

Right now I've got the first 8 heads lined up on sticks to get painted... then it'll be another 8... and another 8... and... well, you get the idea.

Then a few statues to resculpt... few custom heads..... yadda yadda yadda.....

you get the idea. Basically.... now that this is finished (although I loved doing it) I'm happy I can try and fly through everything that's been waiting now :rock

Watch this space

Darren, thank you so much for posting pictures of your WWI commission project. I was really curious about that. I'm a little late to the party, and it's all been said, but you have truly outdone yourself. What you have accomplished is truly a magnificent work of art that will with no doubt fill someone's heart with immense joy. Again I congratulate you on a job well done and for sharing with us!

On a different note, I found this while surfing another board, it's your Obi Wan sculpt, check it out!

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71968

Thanks Darthrazz :rock

yeah, I go to that forum too.... I'm here more but I do read through there every day. The guy who did that one emailed me to show me the custom before he posted it. I love it, the dusty weathered slightly beaten look to it makes it look cool :D

Just a quick update this morning before I get on with things. I'm painting Aragorns and Anakins today, but I've just done my test cast of the Arnie re-do, I'll use this to check that the I'm happy with the main sculpt, and if I am then I'll have a think about how much interest there may or may not be in it.

Also, I'll try to get this test head painted during the next week or so too (but only in spare time while I'm waiting for things to dry.... don't worry if you're waiting for something, I won't be taking time away from your commissions ;) )

I've got to get this Arnie painted though for a couple of reasons

1) I want to check it looks alright

2) I've had a 'built up from parts' Terminator custom here on my shelf for ages now with no head.... and I WANT MY TERMINATOR FIGURE!

:rotfl:lol:rotfl

Id love to see how your Terminator turns out Darren. Are you going for a T1 or the more popular T2 Arnie. Personally Id really like to see you make a T1 Arnie with the eighties hair and singed off eyebrows . . . he looked scary as hell in the first movie :rock

ok.... I've got 3 Aragorns, 4 Anakins and my test Arnie half painted next to me. Been doing them a few days....

.....but.....

.......I think I've forgotten how to paint :dunno

Id love to see how your Terminator turns out Darren. Are you going for a T1 or the more popular T2 Arnie. Personally Id really like to see you make a T1 Arnie with the eighties hair and singed off eyebrows . . . he looked scary as hell in the first movie :rock

I'm doing a T2 arnie first, just because those are the parts I collected and is the more memorable film for me, and a bigger part of my sci-fi/growning up memories.

I'll sculpt a T1 version as well though :)

Wow....Darren, that custom soldier is amazing. I have used that same head for my custom version of myself but to see it put to such good use here is amazing. In the end you can hardly recognize the original head, it's just stunning the new life you brought out from it. This figure will be highly treasured and loved and to be a part of that is something really special. :duff

I'm doing a T2 arnie first, just because those are the parts I collected and is the more memorable film for me, and a bigger part of my sci-fi/growning up memories.

I'll sculpt a T1 version as well though :)

Well you just hurry up all the same, you're T2 redo is one of the project on this custom forum I'm really looking forward to see the progress on!

Wow Darren! You should be so proud of that WWI soldier. Not only is it amazing but knowing what a personal impact this is going to make is huge. I can imagine the emotion in the air when this is presented.

I saw your amazing WWI custom soldier that you did a few days ago, but just now read the story behind it and it gave me goosebumps. I would've loved to have been there when he gave this gift to his dad and seen his reaction. You really did a wonderful job on it and you can see the loving care and attention to detail you poured into it. Truly fantastic Darren! :clap

Back