Dark Toys 1/6 Rick Deckard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I had to pull the trousers down to the shoes, I pushed them down as far as they'd go at the waist without loosening the belt.

On doing that I instantly thought that the clothes looked more proportional, and looking at photos of Harrison in the costumes confirmed what I was seeing:

View attachment 561980

View attachment 561979
Pocket-pool version Deckard... :rotfl

As I had to pull the trousers down to the shoes, I pushed them down as far as they'd go at the waist without loosening the belt.

On doing that I instantly thought that the clothes looked more proportional, and looking at photos of Harrison in the costumes confirmed what I was seeing:

View attachment 561980

View attachment 561979
Yeah the torsos are always too short.

I think I'm just going to thin out the guard and triggers and be happy with the one that came with the Dark Toys.
Not sure I'll see the value in getting the Supermad one.

I made this 1:1 scale resin kit a while back which came out pretty nice

View attachment 561904

Very nice! I went through a phase of wanting to import the original firearm to make my own, but (a) Customs would have been a nightmare and (b) I wouldn't have had the skills anyway.

If you can do that coat collar, you should be able to do the shirt collar easily. Fabri-Tac is a must, no point restitching as the stitching looks too big anyway.
Ohh so you reckon all that stitching can be unpicked and just Fabri-Tac the detail piece further down?
My concern was the stitches that go over the top of the striped piece, is that just extra detail? I thought it might be holding the collar together. That'd be GREAT if all that stitching can be removed.

I find that the off-scale stitching closest to the face is always the most egregious in ruining the scale illusion.

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 11.17.22 AM.png

Without having it in hand I can't be sure, but I believe that the unique pattern is just a strip of material layed over the collar and stitched on top... therefore removeable. I can't imagine there is a hole underneath that strip... but you might want to check by freeing one or two stitches in back and take a peek.

You will need to unstitch the bottom line of the collar to free the colorful stripes, but again I'd just Fabri-Tac the collar together if it wants to separate.

Any stitching you can remove is a bonus. To get rid of the holes, you'll want to wet the collar and iron it flat. Then do whatever Fabri-Tac work you need to do. Then redress the figure.

Very good! Thanks.

I also just twigged with what was 'out' with the tie.
Been annoying me for a while but I just noticed the pattern should be only 3 blocks wide as opposed to the 5 on the toy. This will help immensely with the scaling for the knot and the overall weight/shape of it. I'll be rectifying that after the collar.

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 12.23.12 PM.png

And I'm idiot for not noticing the collar's held together by the other stitching along the edge!
Well, this will make the work a lot easier.

Thanks again, Wor-Gar.

I thought that's what you were referencing with your green line, that brown stitching along the bottom of the collar. Yes, that's got to go too. At least where the additional "stripes" are. But I'd just take it all out and if there's two parts to the collar, I'd just Fabri-Tac that back together so there is no stitches near the head. No stitching will give you a very clean collar look.

That Dinodinoya guy? He'd do it right! Good idea. Might be pricey though.

It does open a whole kettle of fish though -- first the tie, then the belt, then the holster, then the shoes, then baggier brown pants, then the whole shirt... :censored:

That Dinodinoya guy? He'd do it right! Good idea. Might be pricey though.

It does open a whole kettle of fish though -- first the tie, then the belt, then the holster, then the shoes, then baggier brown pants, then the whole shirt... :censored:
That's the slippery slope with upgrades. I think I first need to see the figure in hand before starting to through additional money at it.

I was just thinking a DinoDinoYa tie would be perfect for this. Probably around $35 or $40 if it’s like the others I‘ve bought.

The first unboxing on YT... I wonder if DT include the belt and holster to those who got it in hand? it's nowhere to be seen here

Mine was delivered and it had the belt and holster in a zip lock bag, so I think it was just a mess up at the factory.

I'm sure they made a mistake with Redman's For a Few Dollars More Monco as well, as mine came with two saddlebags instead of one. :)

The Deckard sculpts are an enigma.

I took the bloody one and walked around the house with it to see how it looked under different lighting. At some angles it looked pretty amazing. The skin even looked tanned!

Then a slight turn and it was back to giving off that odd, artificial translucent quality. The problem is probably partly due to the plastic they used: light shines through the neck area, indicating there isn't a solid base coat to give the flesh tones depth?

Under a close light I can also see that there's a slight texture to the skin, but obviously not as much as there was on the Buffy original. The hair sculpt came out really well, as that retained the sharp detailing.

It's pretty frustrating to see a well painted sculpt in my hand, and then a moment later it's gone. If you could manage to set up just the right lighting there'd be no need for a repaint.

One of the options that made it look best was held simultaneously below and behind a wall lamp with a warm white LED bulb. Weirdly enough, the best it looked of all was held face up at a 45 degree angle directly under the same lamp. I could almost replicate it with an LED torch held above and to the front at a 45 degree angle, though the torch has a series of cold white bulbs.

So my mission is now to find just the right spot in the collection room, and move some people around. :lol

giphy.gif

The secret to these enigmatic sculpts is using warm white LED lighting, combined with the angle the light hits them.

I changed a couple of the bulbs over in the ceiling bar spotlights from cold to warm, and moved the Blade Runner figures to the second shelf down in a Detolf.

It's an amazing transformation, and it's taken my assessment of the overall figure from around 6/10 to around 8/10.

Not only has the lighting warmed up his sickly pallor and given him a new life, but the angle picks out the lines in his forehead, and enhances the depth of the fold lines in the cheeks, and the area below his lower lip.

You could say it's a trick of the light, but the sculpt now looks how I expect a sculpt to look nowadays. It no longer looks out of place, and the figure finally feels like the complete package.

I can live with the misplaced shirt collar pattern, and even the tie now that p3ss3ssod has identified the discrepancy in the block count, which didn't register with me even though I'd been looking at those photos of Deckard.

There's one other thing that I wish they'd done: put wire in the coat. Either down the front or in the bottom hem, because the two halves naturally stick out at the front. I'd like them to hang closer to the legs. However, water treatment might fix this.

Although it's impossible to show what I see with my own eyes, I did take some photos.

Under this new lighting I was able to get some shots without using the flash, but the camera always likes a lot of light, otherwise it won't capture detail. Therefore the photos didn't come out very sharp, and neither did they capture the shadows I see with my eyes.

The other problem is that the heads just don't like being photographed. The camera doesn't even read them as well as the Supermad heads in the background.

100_1947.JPG
100_1959.JPG

100_1962.JPG

100_1953.JPG

To use the flash I had to get way back, and only then does the camera show that the sculpts look normal, and not really any different in quality or skin tone to those of Supermad:

100_1965.JPG

I saw KIT is offering them again. It might be worth taking a hit on the deposit and get what money back you can and go through Kit. I saw they will be available through KIT on 02/14
I ordered from Kit as soon as they went up for the short window preorder. I’m hoping KG gets their house in order. I don’t have a problem owning two figures, and doing some mods on one of them.

Back