DAF TOYS 1/6 TDK Joker Gang Mask Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would look cool to display either the bank robber joker, or the inart purple coat joker surrounded by the 6 masks of the men he killed that were foolish enough to trust him. Sort of like standing amongst the headstones.

I went ahead and picked it up today.
That's what I was thinking too. I decided to pick up a daftoys mask though and the grenades rack for my set up though for around $60. I will pick these up later if I get the chance but they will be sold out probably

I was just wondering about this one.

I pre-ordered a few sets from Toyswonderland. Though now I'm seeing there's a lot of shade being thrown at them on another thread, so now I'm wondering if I should be worried...

I was just wondering about this one.

I pre-ordered a few sets from Toyswonderland. Though now I'm seeing there's a lot of shade being thrown at them on another thread, so now I'm wondering if I should be worried...

giphy.gif

:panic:

So many horror stories about those scam artists.

With luck TW will have actually ordered them. With more luck they will have actually paid the bill for them.

The masks are better than I thought they'd be.

They're more of a soft plastic than a hard rubber. Really well sculpted and painted. They have a gray shading that makes them look realistically grubby and used. Though the flash kills the full effect in the photos.

The stands are much heavier than I expected too. They're like weighty chess pieces.

IMG_1002.JPG

Close up:

IMG_1003.JPG

From further back:

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1008.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG

The dust on the stands must be from the black foam packaging.

Got my set today. They look great. No hair is disappointing but they were never advertised with it so it’s hard to complain about something not being included. The nice thing is with cheap Halloween masks, the hair is usually applied pretty crappy so even the least skilled of us could probably pull it off.

Got my set a few weeks ago, and recently found some time to put some hair on them.

Overall, I think the set of masks are pretty cool. I do have a few accuracy concerns, which are frustrating, as it doesn't seem like it would've cost more to do it right - they were just dumb mistakes that didn't need to be made. Specifically:

-The red paint on Sleepy's eyes and mouth is inaccurate (the eye "bars" should be purely vertical and each "eye" split into two distinct rectangles, and the red mouth should be much larger, rather than just the lips)
-The blue paint on Happy's eyes and mouth is inaccurate (the mouth should be a bit larger, and the eyes should have more "teardrop" shaping in the corners)
-The sculpt shape isn't entirely accurate, especially with respect to the mouths of Sleepy and Chuckles, which seem to have much more finely-defined features than they did in the movie (giving them an unnecessarily sinister appearance, especially by having "teeth")

I didn't judge the Happy or Bozo masks, as I'm still using the Hot Toys masks for those.

The stands for the sculpts were an....interesting choice. I guess the "Batman" statue is more visually inspiring then a stand with a blank surface, but they're so small that it's not like you're going to appreciate or display the fine details of the statue. The weight was unexpected, and while it certainly lends the set a feeling of gravitas and production value (very much like the pawns of a well-produced chess set, as others have pointed out), I frankly would rather that time and money have been spent on a bit more accuracy instead (if not actually including hair on the masks - not advertised, so I can't be upset, but definitely not outside of Daftoys' capabilities, either).

Still, I love that my favorite movie - and the one that got me into 1/6 collecting - is still inspiring little accessories and sets like this, 15 years later, and this is still an overall win as a product.

The red hair on Dopey and Happy is fuzz from the craft store. They didn't have a suitable shade of blue, so I used some sewing thread for Sleepy (and a tad for Dopey as well - his hair is mostly red, but you can see a few threads of blue if you look closely at the prop).

These are easy mods - just be careful when applying superglue, as it seemed to react with the plastic and/or paint. Don't put any glue anywhere that you're not 100% sure is going to be covered by hair.

Here's my bank robber crew (I mixed up Happy and Grumpy's nameplates for the pictures):

PXL_20230916_171055206.jpg

All that remains is to finish crafting a bolo tie for Grumpy - something I've been putting off for nearly 15 years!

Back