Custom Kitbashed Destro 12" Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, he is still very much a work-in-progress, but I did get some major parts in today. I was waiting for today's parts to see if I would continue with this idea I had for him, or if I'd just go with a suit, or a different route. As we all know, Destro's classic costume is very much dated. So even if my Destro outfit isn't even close to what Sideshow will do, I think we all realize we won't be getting Destro in his classic outfit. So here is a sneak on my take of Destro.

dsc01419r.jpg

I've still got a lot more work left on him, so things will probably get changed around a bit. I'm thinking of shortening Nam's necklace chain a bit to either come just below the Cobra symbol, or just above it. Still haven't decided yet.

Nice "black cat at midnight with a new moon" preview. :tap:lol

:lol

Like I said, he is still very much a work in progress. I wasn't going to show anything yet, but figured this tread might get forgotten by the time I finish him. Now it might just be me, but I think there is enough shown to give an idea where the look is going. And I'm sure you can at least identify your handiwork there ;)

Oh, if only I worked for Sideshow. I'd release teases like this all the time! :D

:lol

Like I said, he is still very much a work in progress. I wasn't going to show anything yet, but figured this tread might get forgotten by the time I finish him. Now it might just be me, but I think there is enough shown to give an idea where the look is going. And I'm sure you can at least identify your handiwork there ;)

Oh, if only I worked for Sideshow. I'd release teases like this all the time! :D

I could make out the necklace and CC's shirt and belt. But that's just a c**ktease. :( If I can find another Destro, I might make another version of him more reminiscent of a Tony Stark. ;)

Wow. Buying 2 RoC figures?!? And putting him in a suit, like RoC?!? Are you feeling OK? :lol

I too am thinking about getting a second Destro and maybe going with the suit route. The fact that Destro has had quite a few different looks over the years can make for some interesting inspiration. As you can tell with mine, I'm pulling more from a militaristic look for Destro. With the Cobra outfit, you could even say his Resolute look.

But I can say that I'm really looking forward to an official Sideshow Destro now. It will be interesting to see how far from his original design they get. I mean, with Firefly they had a realistic enough of a look to begin with and they went their own way. Destro's design should be interesting to say the least.

OK, I was able to get a few things done with him today that make him showable. I was able to dye the Cobra Commander uniform black (well except those boarders, but I kind of like them blue) and I was able to shorten a Darth Vader inner robe. I also shortened Nam's necklace by 5 links and I think it fits the outfit better that way (its not covering the Cobra symbol or resting on his belt). As you can see, I was heavily influenced by his Resolute design.

dsc01423k.jpg

dsc01424vw.jpg

dsc01425.jpg

I still have some stuff to add to him. At least a pistol holster and a knife, maybe a sword. That would be pulling from his Iron Grenadier look I guess. I'll also be switching out his boots for glossier ones since Destro doesn't strike me as the type to wear dull boots.

gijoe_resolute_Destro.jpg

I do agree he looks a bit like a Monk though. Hopefully once I my other gear arrives he won't look so monk-ish. Worse comes to worse, I drop the robe/skirt-thingy.

Well even the Kurgan Krusade had a high priest, so why not Cobra too? :lol

My thought is that Destro's classic look just isn't going to work in Sideshow's line. So he is going to be heavily re-designed for them regardless. His Iron Grenadier look might work, but I'm sure we all want him with his silver mask and not gold. Also, the Resolute re-design, like what I'm somewhat going with, is more militaristic in nature. He would also be more Cobra oriented that way too.

The other option I could see would be a suit like his RoC look. But again, I don't think that would really fit with Sideshow's line. Right now, Destro is actually the figure I'm probably most looking forward to seeing what Sideshow does with him.

gijoe_resolute_Destro.jpg

I do agree he looks a bit like a Monk though. Hopefully once I my other gear arrives he won't look so monk-ish. Worse comes to worse, I drop the robe/skirt-thingy.

That's a trench coat in that pic (more like a WWII German Officer's coat). Can't wait to see the finished product. So far, it's interesting...:D

The Hasbro ROC 3 3/4" Destro borrowed heavily from the resolute design (IMO, crappy headsculpt with visible eyes aside, it's the Resolute Destro snuck into the line like Snake Eyes, Firefly and a few of the other figures):

3400180203_419be171bb.jpg

Hasbro is actually making a Resolute Destro!

destro-02.JPG

And here is another image showing more of the outfit:

ResoluteDestroPosed.jpg

Both the figure and artwork seem to make the bottom part of the coat seem bigger and looser than the top. To me, it always seemed like a bit of a kilt. Destro is Scottish afterall. But I can see that it is all one piece. So I might be rethinking the Vader robe for something else because I am really getting a monk vibe off of him. I can't tell if it is the necklace or the robe or a combination of the two. :dunno

Hasbro is actually making a Resolute Destro!

destro-02.JPG

And here is another image showing more of the outfit:

ResoluteDestroPosed.jpg

Both the figure and artwork seem to make the bottom part of the coat seem bigger and looser than the top. To me, it always seemed like a bit of a kilt. Destro is Scottish afterall. But I can see that it is all one piece. So I might be rethinking the Vader robe for something else because I am really getting a monk vibe off of him. I can't tell if it is the necklace or the robe or a combination of the two. :dunno

TBH, it's the robe. I'm also not a fan of using Destro's gemstone like a broach. :monkey4 You might wanna see if you can pick up an officer's coat, dye it black or navy, and locate (or print out) a Cobra iron-on and iron it onto the coat. That'd give you a closer look.

WTF is with the bionic arm?! :confused:

I think it is from this unused concept art idea:

COBRA-RESOLUTE.jpg

But I will definatley start looking for an overcoat now. Thanks for the imput.

That looks really nice. Think I'm going to have to pick one up. Thanks for the tips on converting it to the TT body.

John

OK, I got a few more parts in the mail today so I thought I'd update the pics as well. I've ditched the Vader robe, especially because of today's parts. The robe wouldn't work with all of the belt/leg attachments.

I added a holster, ammo pouches, and a knife to the uniform. I wasn't trying to copy the Cobra Commander look, but without trying/thinking I pretty much did. I'm hoping to at least replace the knife with a sword though, so hopefully that will change him up a bit. But I guess I could see the Cobra high command dressing similarly. I mean, some of the Nazis were dressed similarly to Hitler. :dunno

And I swear the black I dyed Destro's suit keeps fading more back to blue each day. Strange :confused:

dsc01429e.jpg

dsc01428z.jpg

Yea, looks like a Cobra Commander copy. A sword woud be better. Maybe even paint the eyes black with green iris.

The biggest problem though, bud, is Destro isn't Cobra. A quicker fix would be to throw that trench on Destro and pick up one of drizzle's capes for CC.

Please do me a favor though. If you're gonna keep the normal eyes, fix them please. You're destro's a bit... well...

MartyFeldman-full.jpg

In that last pic, he's totally pulling a Feldman, glaring at both us and CC. :lol

Back