Custom figure bases, cases and dioramas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the blank base and backdrop with a figure for reference and scale,
backdropfiguretest.jpg

i can then hopefully take his to a street type base/dio like the idea i started to look at above.

the idea of the logo base would work something like this, a themed logo for the figure to stand on then something behind to compliment it more. i'd have to work out scale and what have to as i dont think a movie poster would work perfectly as it's not in proportion with the base as that would have made it too big,
swstormtrooperbase.jpg

Your work is great. I love the details.

Pace yourself for sure, cause you don't want burn out like so many.

Can't wait to add a few to my shelf !

the blank base and backdrop with a figure for reference and scale,
backdropfiguretest.jpg

i can then hopefully take his to a street type base/dio like the idea i started to look at above.

the idea of the logo base would work something like this, a themed logo for the figure to stand on then something behind to compliment it more. i'd have to work out scale and what have to as i dont think a movie poster would work perfectly as it's not in proportion with the base as that would have made it too big,
swstormtrooperbase.jpg

That is Sooooo like what I was talking to you about !!!!!! Think we can ship these ?

Got a couple of pieces from Kris yesterday - outstanding work! Look even better in person that I thought - will be posting pics over the weekend!

That is Sooooo like what I was talking to you about !!!!!! Think we can ship these ?

well, these are different as in there'll be no environment, just a logo on the base and a poster or something on the back. although i haven't worked out how to do the back due to the proportions of the poster. i'd either have to make the base too big or have some dead space on the back, like this,
testbackdrop.jpg

otherwise the poster would need stretched which would look crap. or i could photoshop some seperate elements together.

i designed them in 2 piece so the base and back could be done by me then put together and shipped flat and made up at the other end. if that makes sense.

i suppose i could do a little dio type base then a backdrop instead of a logo on the base, didn't really think about that till now.

Got a couple of pieces from Kris yesterday - outstanding work! Look even better in person that I thought - will be posting pics over the weekend!

was a pleasure sir, you didn't use the word awesome but i like to think it's implied:)
cant wait to see your photos as i can't take a pic to save my life and your setup is amazing anyways.

hah, that's better, thanks.

for the base/backdrop idea an actual movie poster isn't going to look right so i'm thinking,
in the middle with dead space around the top and bottom,
more centred so dead space around top and bottom with a little bit either side.
not sure either of these is the best idea.
a large image filling the entire back piece, say a close up or whoever from the film in question.
last one for now i think is my best, large image like mentioned above but fading away to the side so image can stand just off to one side. i think that may work the best. mock up below. i could of course include the little name plate i've used on other bases.
testbackdrophalfheadfigure.jpg

thanks to intothevoid for the kind words and picture since they're so much better than i can take.

finished v2 of the street base, i'm pretty much happy with it now and think i'm done with it. it's smaller, got no manhole cover from it, on a wood base (7x7 inch) with a green baiae and has a glossy varnish finish which i think makes it look a bit better. i can of course do any size if anyone wants one. a few pages back i did a smaller version still which i like too and it pretty much the same as this one.
anyways, the pics,
streetbasev2.jpg

streetbasev2withfigure.jpg

streetbasev2closeup.jpg

excellent work all the way around.
but if i may suggest towards your wood bases like the IJ series.........before painting them take some light spackling and go over as to obscure the wood grain........the spackling will smooth them out and give a flat finish that paint alone wont hide.

excellent work all the way around.
but if i may suggest towards your wood bases like the IJ series.........before painting them take some light spackling and go over as to obscure the wood grain........the spackling will smooth them out and give a flat finish that paint alone wont hide.

cheers.
spackle is a word i've heard but actually have no idea what it is. not sure what the "IJ series" is either.

spackle is a type of filler.. like rubbing wood putty into the grain to cover it up..I myself didnt notice the woodgrain but i dont have one of your bases.. I do think you do great work though..kudos.

thanks a lot.

got ta, i'm not sure exactly where the wood grain is too obvious although i can see it but it doesn't really bother me that much.

finished another joker street corner base,
street2.jpg

street1.jpg

repainted a speeder bike and started a base for it. paint work isn't my thing so it's a bit sloppy in places but it could have turned out a lot worse i think, for me anyways.
speeder3.jpg

speeder1.jpg

thanks mr void.

my pleasure mr cheeseman. yours is all packed up and ready to send on monday so you'll have it by tuesday.

Back