Companion PF Figure to Lurtz....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think it would be nice to see the Fellowship in mid-stride from the mountain scene in TFOTR.That way they could do Sam and Bill . Bill would not be a full size horse and therefore a more realistic piece to produce 1/4 scale.Just imagine having those 9, a long shelf and building your own mountain pass (with holes for the bases tp fit snuggly!!)then paint part of your wall (or use photocopies) with clear sky....uh..think i'm getting carried away now..sorry.
I know they are not likely to do this as it's kind of been done before but as long as they keep the main characters consistant I'll be happy.

Please forget all this Companion nonsense! Characters in straight forward poses. I am not trying to decorate a juveniles room with those statues, you see. If you like to reexperience dramatic events from the story, watch the movie, or read the book (which is an even better option IMO).

Buzzie said:
I bet for Gandalf as next PF....

Me too, especially since it appears Aragorn is the first 12". I don't think they would make 2 of him so quickly.

I think we all agree that the next PF will be either Gandalf, Aragorn, or Frodo.

Quote :please forget all this Companion nonsense! Characters in straight forward poses. I am not trying to decorate a juveniles room with those statues, you see. If you like to reexperience dramatic events from the story, watch the movie, or read the book (which is an even better option IMO).

OOh..touchy.All i meant was that I don't want the 9 to be from different films which spoilt the last line (Pippin).Don't you think it would be nice to have the Fellowship compliment each other??

Gasp! Am I the ONLY one who LOVES the Weta Frodo??

No, I would love to pick him up and add him to my collection. I'm just waiting for him to reliably go for less than $200 on Ebay. Last month, one went in the 160's, so I might be able to get him soon. $300? Forget it.

FrodoEyes said:
Gasp! Am I the ONLY one who LOVES the Weta Frodo??

The Weta Frodo facial sculpt is shaky, at best. The Bust is just a little bit better. When SS releases it's PF (or 12", for that matter) Frodo, it's going to look even better because of the quick comparisons to the Weta pieces.

Even the most staunch Weta purists have to admit that the Weta Frodo was lacking in that department.

And don't give me that "character and not the actor" bit. It was Elijah Woods as Frodo and not Verne Troyer*... :naughty

*Verne Troyer = "Mini-me" from the Austin Powers films.

FlyAndFight said:
Even the most staunch Weta purists have to admit that the Weta Frodo was lacking in that department.

No it's not perfect but I don't think it's that far off either. It could be better and closer to EW. The statue that is.

FlyAndFight said:
And don't give me that "character and not the actor" bit. It was Elijah Woods as Frodo and not Verne Troyer*... :naughty

Well, I hate to give it to ya but for most LOTR fans I guess it's the character not the actor.:D

No companions, make Boromir have the horn and the shield. They need a Fellowship set prior to Moria.

jlcmsu said:
No it's not perfect but I don't think it's that far off either. It could be better and closer to EW. The statue that is.

With all due respect to the sculpter, this looks nothing like Elijah Woods:

jlcmsu said:
Well, I hate to give it to ya but for most LOTR fans I guess it's the character not the actor.:D

Josh, this is a hot issue and to be honest, LOTRFan already brought up excellent points over at the Shadow & Flame forum. I believe that to most LOTR "film" fans, which these pieces represent, the character should look like the actor. I think if we had a film version Gandalf with eyebrows curving out and over the brim of his hat, people would be dying of laughter. By the way, that's how Tolkien himself described Gandalf. ;)

When does SS announce the 2nd LOTR PF - didnt they say they'll have two

FlyAndFight said:

That's your opinion. I think it does resemble him in some regards. Not dead on by anymeans but again I can see EW in that piece.

FlyAndFight said:
Josh, this is a hot issue and to be honest, LOTRFan already brought up excellent points over at the Shadow & Flame forum. I believe that to most LOTR "film" fans, which these pieces represent, the character should look like the actor. I think if we had a film version Gandalf with eyebrows curving out and over the brim of his hat, people would be dying of laughter. By the way, that's how Tolkien himself described Gandalf. ;)

I agree they should be as close as possible and it makes the piece even better when that happens. As I and Robodad said though if they get close or the resemblence is still there I'm ok with it. For me I can see Viggio on there and see what the sculptor was trying to capture. Is it close not really. Is it way the **** off no I don't think so. I can see Viggio on there so I'm ok with it.

FlyAndFight said:

Yep, and that is the way it should be. I'd like to see the character "Frodo" in that piece, and not the actor Elijah Woods. The main reason why I don't like the "human"-like LOTR statues, is because they have to much of the movie actors in them. I only collect the "monsters" for that matter. There is one exception though: Peter Jackson as a corsair. That piece was made as a homage to the director, and therefor it should look like Peter.

Yes, a minority of collectors would prefer the "character" to show through and not the "actor" but the fact of the matter is that the SS/Weta Lord of the Rings line was not based on Tolkien's book but Peter Jackson's films. So I think I can speak for the majority, when I say that it is expected that the human/elven/hobbit statues and busts actually look like the actor.

One thing is saying that no statue will truly capture the actor 100%. That is understood. That's why I said that I'm fine with the Aragorn 12" sculpt, But to not hope for some tweaking and simply say that I know who it is and it's close enough for me, is settling for less. At what point does the lack of similarity become an issue to you? Or does it at all?

By the way, I too passed on the majority of the human/elves/hobbit SS/Weta pieces because they "didn't" look like the actors. Check out mystery Frodo above.

I always thought the WETA Frodo piece did look a lot like E. Wood.

It's not perfect but it's still good. That pic above is just horrible...mine looked nothing like that.

This is pretty much a no brainer. All of these statues, figures, premiums, whatever, are represenative of the film characters. If the likeness isn't there, it loses it's appeal. It's true that some look better in person, but some are way off.

Gruson said:
I always thought the WETA Frodo piece did look a lot like E. Wood.

It's not perfect but it's still good. That pic above is just horrible...mine looked nothing like that.

I agree, I actually like the statue quite a bit, the eyes could have been a bit bigger - EW is definately known for his eyes. It is certainly not a perfect representation, but I am happy with it. However to tie this in to the present discussion, I will be mighty tempted to part with mine if the SS PF looks better.

Back