Chakaman's customs, mods and repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Sturtrup. :)

I finally got some boots that I was happy with for Garon Nas Tal. I am calling him finished. I have been trying to piece together the outfits for the 2 ANH Saurins I want to do, they are up next.

A couple of him in Jabba's Palace....

Thanks Steven. :)

I started the process of applying fur to my Yak Face sculpt. Still a work in progress. I plan on thinning it out a bit and adding some below the chin and jawline. Here is where I am at so far...

Thanks Nate. :)

I finished the fur on the head. I added some more around the sides of his snout and along the back of the jawbone.

I also started painting the arms/hands. I have got a nice base down. I am going to let it sit for a while before I go in and do all the touchup/gloss work around the nails etc.

Next up will be to add fur around the neck and chest area, that should be interesting. :)

I can probably come up with a dozen different names for this character, and I don't think any of them would be "Yak Face" - not sure what Kenner/LFL were thinking. ;) Anyway, I'd loving the work you're doing on this guy, especially the furring process which I have no doubt is super tedious. Do you have any behind-the-scenes tips for this? And will you be working on his twin brother, Camel-Toe?

I can probably come up with a dozen different names for this character, and I don't think any of them would be "Yak Face" - not sure what Kenner/LFL were thinking. ;) Anyway, I'd loving the work you're doing on this guy, especially the furring process which I have no doubt is super tedious. Do you have any behind-the-scenes tips for this? And will you be working on his twin brother, Camel-Toe?

Yeah, the name "Yak-Face" doesn't really make sense. "Camel" cigarettes were pretty poplular in the late 70s, early 80s. Was the prop builders name "Joe"?? :)

Yes the fur work is very tedious. I apply Loctite super glue with a cotton swab to the areas on the sculpt where I want the fur to stick. I then cut the fur from the main piece at the angle that best helps the piece hang from the sculpt the way I want it to. Sorry I dont have any pics. I then let dry, pull off excess that doesn't stick and move on to the next area. I basically worked clockwise around the snout. I hope this makes sense. I wore rubber gloves. Anyone who has applied fur with glue knows that their is much trial and error involved. I did go back and add pieces here and there to achieve the look I was going for.

When I fur the neck, I will take some work in progress pictures.

I have started furring the neck area on Yak Face. This area is much thicker than the sculpt. Because the fur is thicker, I am able to leave the fabric strips attached to the fur. When I was furring the face, the fur had to be removed from the fabric and placed directly on the sculpt.

Before cutting the piece into strips, I fold the fur upwards and then cut. This way the fur hangs hiding the strips.

I then apply glue to the area where I need the strips to stick..

Here is where I am at so far. I am just working my way around the sculpt. There is quite a bit of excess. This will be trimmed later.

I know these are not the best pics, but it is difficult to take work in progress shots when doing this as it is quite messy. I hope this helps. :)

I think the photos do a fine job of showing the process - along with the tip to fold the fur back opposite of its natural drape before cutting.

Freaking awesome. When will you do a run ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yak is gonna be freakin awesome man. Absolutely stunning work so far.......:rock

Yak is gonna be freakin awesome man. Absolutely stunning work so far.......:rock

Yaktastic!

Thanks guys, Glad you two still pop in from time to time. :) I miss seeing your Star Wars customs.

I finally got a proper sweater and pants for my second Saurin, Hrchek Kal Fas from ANH. I did one of these a while back, but was never totally satisfied with it. Here we go on attempt number two.

Back