Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, she clearly says "if people need this to be another reminder this decade", so she isn't dismissing all the other "female led" movies that came before that broke a billion... and within the context, it's pretty clear she isn't taking all the credit for it.

So, thanks for clearing that up with the entire quote. :hi5:

Don't need to thank me as the very first quote contained the part you're referencing in full anyway.

You seem to be taking the part where she says 'people couldn't comprehend it up until this point' as a fact for some reason, and in that case, yes, she can say she's another reminder. But the fact is no one had a problem comprehending women making a billion in the first place - that milestone came and passed quietly a few times already - that's what I was saying. It says that right there in the post you quoted. You're effectively misreading what I said and making an entirely different argument.

But going with your particular argument for a second anyway; she also says she's 'grateful to have broken the glass ceiling of normalizing the concept that women can also make a billion dollars' - but as Khev humorously pointed out you can only break the glass ceiling once (like a hymen), and it's normally a phrase that's reserved for the first time a woman breaks a barrier to advancement that no other woman has reached before. It can't be rebroken after the first time it's shattered, and she knows this given how largely she is into feminism and how much they like to throw it around. Using 'glass ceiling' then saying 'another reminder' is completely opposed. That's why I ended with the fact that she's just saying different things from one line to another, from one interview to another, and making up whatever suits her as she goes on. The context you're talking about doesn't exist.

But as you take no issue with any of the other points myself or the others brought up here, I'll assume you agree with the rest, which is good enough for me :hi5:

Ya know, she is just weird. I mean does she either doesn't believe what she is saying or she has some real deep seated issues... I only say this because until she started talking, I, a 40 plus ear old white conservative male, never thought of Cap Marvel as a female led Marvel comic movie.. I never thought of Star Wars RO or TFA as female led Star Wars Films. Never thought about Underworld as a female led Vampire action film.. Never thought of Atomic Blond as a female spy thriller... Or WW as a Female led DC films..

I just think of them as films I wanted to see.

Brie seems to want to play the underdog card and that's fine. But nobody is saying that female led films typically reserved for male leads cant make money.. Maybe 15 or 20 years ago but I think now its all a bunch of attention seeking, victimization, mumbo jumbo.

Granted there is some pushback from twitter and youtubers but that is not the mass population.

Oh well...

Hey there are some good videos of her and Chris Hemsworth going at it.. Cant decide if its in good fun or if they really don't care for each other.

Hear, hear! I'd only be repeating what M United and SilverStar said in agreeing with you so I'll leave it at that.

Here's one of the Hemsworth clips Jaws was mentioning though:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1116735031282556928

Personally I loved this:

D3wgqMfUUAAUsxg

D3wgqMiUwAArweR

D3wgqMkU4AALzf6

D3wgqMrU0AAL1dv

:rotfl

Hemsworth is a hoot

Hemsworth was clearly both racist and misogynistic in his callous answer.
His white male privilege ruined a thoughtful and profound interview.

Isn't it fake anyway? I can't find any actual video. I think it was just some redditor's idea of a joke.

Are those memes real? Did that question get asked and did Hemsworth really follow Brie Larson's Michelle Obama answer with Falkor the flying dog? Holy crap if so he's like my new favorite actor, lol.

Don't need to thank me as the very first quote contained the part you're referencing in full anyway.

You seem to be taking the part where she says 'people couldn't comprehend it up until this point' as a fact for some reason, and in that case, yes, she can say she's another reminder. But the fact is no one had a problem comprehending women making a billion in the first place - that milestone came and passed quietly a few times already - that's what I was saying. It says that right there in the post you quoted. You're effectively misreading what I said and making an entirely different argument.

But going with your particular argument for a second anyway; she also says she's 'grateful to have broken the glass ceiling of normalizing the concept that women can also make a billion dollars' - but as Khev humorously pointed out you can only break the glass ceiling once (like a hymen), and it's normally a phrase that's reserved for the first time a woman breaks a barrier to advancement that no other woman has reached before. It can't be rebroken after the first time it's shattered, and she knows this given how largely she is into feminism and how much they like to throw it around. Using 'glass ceiling' then saying 'another reminder' is completely opposed. That's why I ended with the fact that she's just saying different things from one line to another, from one interview to another, and making up whatever suits her as she goes on. The context you're talking about doesn't exist.

But as you take no issue with any of the other points myself or the others brought up here, I'll assume you agree with the rest, which is good enough for me :hi5:

Hear, hear! I'd only be repeating what M United and SilverStar said in agreeing with you so I'll leave it at that.

Here's one of the Hemsworth clips Jaws was mentioning though:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1116735031282556928

Personally I loved this:

D3wgqMfUUAAUsxg

D3wgqMiUwAArweR

D3wgqMkU4AALzf6

D3wgqMrU0AAL1dv

:rotfl

Hemsworth is a hoot

Actually, I was reacting to the notion that she said she was the first to break the billion dollar ceiling and that she was taking sole credit for it, that was all.

Personally, I find her rather obnoxious and rather “toxic” (if I may use that term) in her zeal, but I don’t necesarilly disagree with everything she says.

It is a fact that Hollywood has catered more to the male star than to the female star, which has been made evident by the general imbalance in paychecks, regardless of Box Office power. And that happens in practically every art form, where there has always a certain bias towards men (and let’s not even start in the business or politics world...).
So I fully understand where she’s coming from, but, as I said, I don’t agree with the way she goes about it, or everything she says.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Ya know, she is just weird. I mean does she either doesn't believe what she is saying or she has some real deep seated issues... I only say this because until she started talking, I, a 40 plus ear old white conservative male, never thought of Cap Marvel as a female led Marvel comic movie.. I never thought of Star Wars RO or TFA as female led Star Wars Films. Never thought about Underworld as a female led Vampire action film.. Never thought of Atomic Blond as a female spy thriller... Or WW as a Female led DC films..

I just think of them as films I wanted to see.

Agreed 100%. I've always characterized films simply by genre and series, never by race or gender of the actors. I mean most horror films (especially slasher movies) have female leads but I've never once stepped back and went wow what's the deal with that or the said "it's about time" on the other end of the spectrum. Terminator wouldn't have been good if the T-800 was originally hunting an adult male nor would ALIENS be half the movie if it was some dude and a bunch of marines. So I just appreciate that each film picks the right character dynamic for whatever story it's trying to tell. The end.

But people like Brie Larson seem hell bent on taking people out of the story and out of the experience of enjoying films so that we can all be hyper aware of who is what color and what gender both in front of and behind the camera. It's ridiculous.

Agreed 100%. I've always characterized films simply by genre and series, never by race or gender of the actors. I mean most horror films (especially slasher movies) have female leads but I've never once stepped back and went wow what's the deal with that or the said "it's about time" on the other end of the spectrum. Terminator wouldn't have been good if the T-800 was originally hunting an adult male nor would ALIENS be half the movie if it was some dude and a bunch of marines. So I just appreciate that each film picks the right character dynamic for whatever story it's trying to tell. The end.

But people like Brie Larson seem hell bent on taking people out of the story and out of the experience of enjoying films so that we can all be hyper aware of who is what color and what gender both in front of and behind the camera. It's ridiculous.

Agreed.
There’s a difference between raising awareness about something and making it an issue.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Everything about this character and actress is so repugnant to me that it's completely put me off going to see Endgame. I know that means nothing to Disney, but just like I stopped giving them money for SW, I'm officially done with Marvel too.

So what, right?

Someday, they'll push you too far too. For me, having this boring, unoriginal, smug, angry Mary Sue shoehorned into everything was more than I care to support. Maybe you'll last longer. But eventually, every character you know and love will be gone and you'll be left with their C and D-list replacements. I guess there will always be people willing to pump money into something they no longer enjoy, just for the sake of having something to do, but I'd rather just watch the good movies again at home.

To my eye she's the fifth most prominent character on this poster (sixth if you count Thanos) so hardly the "face" of Endgame. I'm not writing off the culmination of 22 films (of which she is still a very small part) just because of a handful of stupid things she said to the press.

D1pKLzbUYAAb0la.jpg

Everything about this character and actress is so repugnant to me that it's completely put me off going to see Endgame. I know that means nothing to Disney, but just like I stopped giving them money for SW, I'm officially done with Marvel too.

So what, right?

Someday, they'll push you too far too. For me, having this boring, unoriginal, smug, angry Mary Sue shoehorned into everything was more than I care to support. Maybe you'll last longer. But eventually, every character you know and love will be gone and you'll be left with their C and D-list replacements. I guess there will always be people willing to pump money into something they no longer enjoy, just for the sake of having something to do, but I'd rather just watch the good movies again at home.

Wow, a hot new take in here that we haven't read a good several dozen times that hasn't been repeatedly deleted and reposted lol

I swear this thread goes into the same tailspin every single day.

Wow, a hot new take in here that we haven't read a good several dozen times that hasn't been repeatedly deleted and reposted lol

Do you think your comments about white males and reparations contributed to that tailspin? lol seriously come on now!

Don’t let it bother you. After all, they’re going to be the ones who are going to end up being forced to pay you reparations. So the joke’s on them, correct?

To my eye she's the fifth most prominent character on this poster (sixth if you count Thanos) so hardly the "face" of Endgame. I'm not writing off the culmination of 22 films (of which she is still a very small part) just because of a handful of stupid things she said to the press.

D1pKLzbUYAAb0la.jpg

I like where Rocket is on that poster. I can see him asking Steve about his shield..."What's that thing made of? Vibranium? Strongest material on the planet, you say? You know, when the fighting starts, you're going to need both hands free. I could totally hold that for you. Seriously, it would be no trouble at all."

Do you think your comments about white males and reparations contributed to that tailspin? lol seriously come on now!

Oh please, the ridiculous hate women circle jerk in here on a daily basis vastly outweighs anything I said.

Don’t let it bother you. After all, they’re going to be the ones who are going to end up being forced to pay you reparations. So the joke’s on them, correct?

And again, that's the one comment in here that really bothered you. lol

Oh please, the ridiculous hate women circle jerk in here on a daily basis vastly outweighs anything I said.

And again, that's the one comment in here that really bothered you. lol

No, really. The joke’s on them because they’re ultimately going to be forced to pay you reparations, right?

Justify it however you have to. Trust me, I didn't lose any sleep over your racist comments, opinions are a dime a dozen on the internet.

I was just pointing out that it’s rather hypocritical for you complain about the toxic trend in this thread, after you've basically stoked that with your previous comments.

but please go ahead and tell me that its ok because of this imaginary “hate women circle jerk” you're experiencing here :lol

Back