Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cycle of things getting out of hand and the thread having to be cleaned by mods begins again...

Oh boy this is great ! Is Brie Larson really causing people to “leave the mcu behind” ? After all these average movies, THISSS is what makes people peace out ? I was just starting to embrace them. I really don’t enjoy hearing celebrity throw these terms around. But that’s the angle marvel probably told her to take. It’s all the trend, they really don’t care about your tickets. They are building a young fan base with these politic talks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh boy this is great ! Is Brie Larson really causing people to “leave the mcu behind” ? After all these average movies, THISSS is what makes people peace out ? I was just starting to embrace them. I really don’t enjoy hearing celebrity throw these terms around. But that’s the angle marvel probably told her to take. It’s all the trend, they really don’t care about your tickets. They are building a young fan base with these politic talks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:goodpost:

The world is changing. Either adapt, or be destroyed.

Forcibly suppressing dissenting thought and criticism is one of the key tenets of Fascism, young lady. Thats regression, not evolution.

That depends on what side of the conversation your on.....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Forcibly suppressing dissenting thought and criticism is one of the key tenets of Fascism, young lady.

Both you and Otomo keep this ridiculous notion that I'm trying to "suppress." I voiced my opinion. I never once mentioned you couldn't post what you wanted. I'm not trying to convert anybody. It's my position. This thread has plenty of problems than little old me. The problem is this thread just continues to dogpile on this we hate her because she hates us. All you do is confirm her beliefs lol.

Everything about this character and actress is so repugnant to me that it's completely put me off going to see Endgame. I know that means nothing to Disney, but just like I stopped giving them money for SW, I'm officially done with Marvel too.

So what, right?

Someday, they'll push you too far too. For me, having this boring, unoriginal, smug, angry Mary Sue shoehorned into everything was more than I care to support. Maybe you'll last longer. But eventually, every character you know and love will be gone and you'll be left with their C and D-list replacements. I guess there will always be people willing to pump money into something they no longer enjoy, just for the sake of having something to do, but I'd rather just watch the good movies again at home.

I'm just bored of the MCU's formula. :lol

I didn't see Captain Marvel because I heard from trustworthy friends that it's an especially mediocre take on an already overplayed formula -- and I grew tired of it years ago, so one more nail in that coffin didn't seem necessary. Forget the controversy around Brie Larson, people complaining about media agendas, etc. All of that noise seemed to be covering up for a bland film and at the end of the day, that's where I take issue.

You can put out something with a progressive message or an inclusive cast/crew (or both) and if there's substance beyond that, I'll enjoy it. If the movie itself doesn't do anything new, you've lost me. Though I do lean left, I don't feel a need to be pandered to, especially if that pandering is only used to mask hollow art.

I'll see Endgame due to time invested plus curiosity in how they wrap up this massive, decade-long arc. After that, I will no longer watch all of these for completion's sake. Just the individual films that pique my interest for one reason or another. For instance, I heard the Black Widow movie will feature Taskmaster. Loved the spy/thriller vibe of Winter Soldier, loved Black Widow's character in it, and I adore Taskmaster, so that's a logical movie for me to see.

Both you and Otomo keep this ridiculous notion that I'm trying to "suppress." I voiced my opinion. I never once mentioned you couldn't post what you wanted. I'm not trying to convert anybody. It's my position. This thread has plenty of problems than little old me. The problem is this thread just continues to dogpile on this we hate her because she hates us. All you do is confirm her beliefs lol.

Agreed on this. Modern politics in a nutshell. We're too hung up on who flung the most recent poo to just drop the poo.

You also talk of a need to adapt. While that's true, I think everyone will have to adapt in some way. It's not one side's way or the highway. We've all excused less-than-stellar behavior on our side simply because it came from our side. If we're to heal and move forward, we have to be more conscious of that.

Last edited:
This thread has become just a waste of space.

This is as bad as TLJ was back when... At least the biggest offender got to go on a vacation.

Of course you merely posited your opinion. I don’t have an issue with dissenting opinions from that of my own. I welcome it, provided the individual is sincere on engaging in rational, intellectually honest discourse. Both you and Brie are free to voice your opinions. However, others are free to disagree with both you and her. There’s nothing democratic and conversation starting about stating things like:

Either adapt, or be destroyed.

...for those who don’t agree with and conform to your beliefs on which direction you want the world to go. Disagreeing with your opinion is not an attack on your humanity, your gender, your race, etc. It’s simply questioning the validity of your argument. You opting instead to personally attack people who do so is a non-argument, because it doesn’t address the actual argument and only uses one’s extrinsic attributes as a cudgel in which to silence them and impute bad motives to them, that because one disagrees with what a female celebrity says and merely questions the validity of her argument, that it therefore means they must hate her. That’s simply disingenuous and doesn’t open any doors for any sort of rational discourse to take place because you’re summarily imputing malicious motives to that individual as being the only reason why they espouse the position that they do.

No, it’s an objective term with an objective definition. It’s not subjective.

Of course it is....in this case at least.....

Which opinion is being suppressed? I have no skin in the game, but its definitely a matter of what you believe.

If one person says the color red is being oppressed, and says thats facist , and they are fighting against it, while the people who like the color red say the people fighting against it are facist because red is a great color.....

If one person says the color red is being oppressed, and says thats facist , and they are fighting against it, while the people who like the color red say the people fighting against it are facist because red is a great color.....

Then you would have to look at who's fighting dirty or being hypocritical... and realize everyone is. People need to be able to admit that their groups have made mistakes. By all means, criticize the opposing groups, but the criticism will be much sharper if it's coming from a watertight place.

Or we can continue as we have, building off each other's reactions, becoming stupider, achieving nothing in the long term, and hating each other all the more for it.

Of course it is....in this case at least.....

Which opinion is being suppressed? I have no skin in the game, but its definitely a matter of what you believe.

There’s no such thing though as one’s personal truth. There’s just the truth, and then there’s one’s opinion or belief. Simply because you believe something doesn’t make objective truth disappear. 2+2 doesn’t equal 5 simply because I believe that it does. The Rams didn’t win the 2019 Super Bowl no matter how much I want to believe that it happened they did.

There’s no such thing though as one’s personal truth though. There’s just the truth, and then there’s one’s opinion or belief. Simply because you believe something doesn’t make objective truth disappear.

What happens when people regularly disagree on the objective truth? What if it's objective to some, but not others? I'm not even naming names or groups here, this simply happens and it happens a lot. "I know what I saw," "I know it in my heart," "X is a lie because it came from Y"...

What happens when people regularly disagree on the objective truth? What if it's objective to some, but not others? I'm not even naming names or groups here, this simply happens and it happens a lot. "I know what I saw," "I know it in my heart," "X is a lie because it came from Y"...

Then we regress as a society and don’t move forward and evolve, because we will never learn from past mistakes in which to better ourselves if objective truth disappears. History for instance can simply become whatever one wants it to be, not what actually happened. Either something happened, or it didn’t. There’s no option c.

If we can’t agree on a basic set of tenets and standards that is going to apply for and to everyone, where do we go from there? Of course we can agree to disagree on the minutia of how to go about getting there, but objective facts are incontestable. They’re impartial and don’t take sides. If any one side refuses to accept the existence of an objective truth, we all lose. Nothing has any substantive meaning anymore, because everything becomes a slippery slope. Words become whatever we want them to mean, any kind of behavior is justified, etc.

Back