Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course you merely posited your opinion. I don’t have an issue with dissenting opinions from that of my own. I welcome it, provided the individual is sincere on engaging in rational, intellectually honest discourse. Both you and Brie are free to voice your opinions. However, others are free to disagree with both you and her. There’s nothing democratic and conversation starting about stating things like:

...for those who don’t agree with and conform to your beliefs on which direction you want the world to go. Disagreeing with your opinion is not an attack on your humanity, your gender, your race, etc. It’s simply questioning the validity of your argument. You opting instead to personally attack people who do so is a non-argument, because it doesn’t address the actual argument and only uses one’s extrinsic attributes as a cudgel in which to silence them and impute bad motives to them, that because one disagrees with what a female celebrity says and merely questions the validity of her argument, that it therefore means they must hate her. That’s simply disingenuous and doesn’t open any doors for any sort of rational discourse to take place because you’re summarily imputing malicious motives to that individual as being the only reason why they espouse the position that they do.

It was a figure of speech. You're reading WAY too much into it lol. I never tried suppress anyone here. I'll let the mods do that only because this thread is a toilet bowl of the same swirling arguments reiterated ad nauseam. Yes, we heard you. You think Brie is disgusting and you hate her opinion, tell us another fifty goddamn times. It just seems like anyone that wants to defend Brie's stance are the individuals that are being silenced. I didn't get personal with anyone here. Otomo filled his diaper and told me to **** off the other day.

It was a figure of speech. You're reading WAY too much into it lol. I never tried suppress anyone here. I'll let the mods do that only because this thread is a toilet bowl of the same swirling arguments reiterated ad nauseam. Yes, we heard you. You think Brie is disgusting and you hate her opinion, tell us another fifty goddamn times. It just seems like anyone that wants to defend Brie's stance are the individuals that are being silenced. I didn't get personal with anyone here. Otomo filled his diaper and told me to **** off the other day.

You’re still doing it....

Did you even read what I wrote? And if so, did you comprehend it? Rhetorical question, because your response would indicate no. Your response is bedrocked more in emotion than it is logic and reason and lacks any substance. And no offense, but I really couldn’t care less about your subjective feelings, I really couldn’t. Whenever you want to abandon the identity politics and stop imputing disingenuous motives to me based on things other people have said and not that I’ve said, and actually have an adult discussion, I’m all ears. I’m not sure how you equate that to being silenced.

And yes, the same standard I hold you to would apply to Otomo as well. Telling someone to **** off isn’t the best way to invite rational discourse.

Here is the thing.

I think most comic book fans / nerds / basement dwellers / circle jerkers love strong female lead characters. But they want them to be well written and preformed and don't want to be told that they are just toxic white males if they don't like a film that happens to have a female lead or even made for a female audience.

Of course there will always be a few who will hate the film no matter what because there is a female in a strong, typically male role... Just as there are a small minority of those who will love the film no matter what if there is a female in a strong, typically male role.

Personally I don't need some 20 something white female telling me what kind of films are made for me and what I might or might not enjoy ;)

Like I said before.. I go to see the film for the film.. Not who the lead characters sex, color, religion, or whatever is.

If Captain Marvel was truly great film then I think all this Brie stuff would have blown over... People would not care about her "unlikable personality". As is she will remain a target for men and woman until she proves herself in the role by being great in the role in a great movie. Maybe that will happen with Endgame.

You’re still doing it....

Sigh...

C9LN32T.gif

Spoiler Spoiler:

There’s no such thing though as one’s personal truth. There’s just the truth, and then there’s one’s opinion or belief. Simply because you believe something doesn’t make objective truth disappear. 2+2 doesn’t equal 5 simply because I believe that it does. The Rams didn’t win the 2019 Super Bowl no matter how much I want to believe that it happened they did.

Try that argument with 2 serious religious minded people.

Again, your taking about FACT not Truth...

And with these types of arguments there are no facts as who is being repressed is very different depending on whom you ask.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Here is the thing.

I think most comic book fans / nerds / basement dwellers / circle jerkers love strong female lead characters. But they want them to be well written and preformed and don't want to be told that they are just toxic white males if they don't like a film that happens to have a female lead or even made for a female audience.

Of course there will always be a few who will hate the film no matter what because there is a female in a strong, typically male role... Just as there are a small minority of those who will love the film no matter what if there is a female in a strong, typically male role.

Personally I don't need some 20 something white female telling me what kind of films are made for me and what I might or might not enjoy ;)

Like I said before.. I go to see the film for the film.. Not who the lead characters sex, color, religion, or whatever is.

If Captain Marvel was truly great film then I think all this Brie stuff would have blown over... People would not care about her "unlikable personality". As is she will remain a target for men and woman until she proves herself in the role by being great in the role in a great movie. Maybe that will happen with Endgame.

But whether it's a good film or not is entirely subjective.

Try that argument with 2 serious religious minded people.

Again, your taking about FACT not Truth...

And with these types of arguments there are no facts as who is being repressed is very different depending on whom you ask.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Fact is truth. Either something happened, or it didn’t. Either Notre Dame unfortunately burned on April 16, 2019, or it didn’t. Refer to my post on the previous page if everything becomes subjective.

Sigh...

C9LN32T.gif

Spoiler Spoiler:

I’ll take that as a no, you’re not interested, and that you don’t genuinely believe in what you’re saying.

No surprise.

Hey Harley... I think you have every right to express your opinion.. Keep it up..

I do want to point out though.. Your very first post

I for one really loved the film! I saw it three times over the weekend.

Anyone male that's got such a problem with what Brie said needs to get their nads checked and a CAT scan. I honestly don't think she said enough about how much is wrong with White males. The film was great, so get used to it!

And this post...
Oh please, the ridiculous hate women circle jerk in here on a daily basis vastly outweighs anything I said.
l

Are basically ways to shut down discussion.. If you don't like Brie or Enjoy Captain Marvel then you Hate Woman??

Or if you are "Male" and have a problem with what Brie said means that you are less male and have some sort of brain damage I guess... I assume woman can take issue with Brie's comments.. Believe me they have..

Or that there are problems with "white males" that Brie should have talked more about.. I mean if you can come to the conclusion that a poster hate woman because they don't like Brie or her movie then what can I assume from your post??

Now I am not saying there has not been some dumb things said from the other side.. But I think the "attacks" on you come from these type of comments which really are just as sexist and silly as what others may have said..

I support your opinion.. But your comments have been just as inflammatory. Rise above it and I will always defend you.. Even when I don't agree with your opinion on a film or political view or whatever.

I will admit there seems to be something therapeutic about piling on Brie... She makes it easy.. There are other woman in Hollywood who are much stronger and more opiniated but not nearly as annoying to me. :lol

Hey Harley... I think you have every right to express your opinion.. Keep it up..

And this post...

Are basically ways to shut down discussion.. If you don't like Brie or Enjoy Captain Marvel then you Hate Woman??

Or if you are "Male" and have a problem with what Brie said means that you are less male and have some sort of brain damage I guess... I assume woman can take issue with Brie's comments.. Believe me they have..

Or that there are problems with "white males" that Brie should have talked more about.. I mean if you can come to the conclusion that a poster hate woman because they don't like Brie or her movie then what can I assume from your post??

Now I am not saying there has not been some dumb things said from the other side.. But I think the "attacks" on you come from these type of comments which really are just as sexist and silly as what others may have said..

I support your opinion.. But your comments have been just as inflammatory. Rise above it and I will always defend you.. Even when I don't agree with your opinion on a film or political view or whatever.

:goodpost:

My sentiments as well.

But whether it's a good film or not is entirely subjective.

I agree with you 100%.. But I think that most that are piling on this film don't think of it as a good film.. I actually liked Brie in the role.. But did not care for the film... Many here did not like her in the role or the film.. I get it.. I also get why someone might love it.. But I don't think this is considered a MCU home run like some of the others and beyond judgement.. Of course no film is perfect and not universally loved.. Except JAWS right? :lol

You love it.. I see you saw it three times in a weekend.. That's cool... And I think your love of the film might make you want to defend it more and grow tired of the piling on... It happens all the time in the statue threads. You like it so much that you cant believe anyone else does not like it.. And because they pile on the film and Brie then there must be more to the dislike then just the film itself or Brie's comments..

Of course I could be wrong.. IDK you at all.. So take no offense at my "mind reading" :lol

But "Weather or not its a good film or not is entirely subjective" Its one of the other reasons I had issues with Brie's comments about A Wrinkle in Time and 40 year old males.

Lets face it.. Brie started it :lol ;)

But hey Harley.. Its great that you love the film. Let others Hate of the movie give you strength and solidify your love for the film.. I love reading post knocking a film I love.. Makes me want to watch it again.
:)

And this post...

I will admit there seems to be something therapeutic about piling on Brie... She makes it easy.. There are other woman in Hollywood who are much stronger and more opiniated but not nearly as annoying to me. :lol

I was of the opinion that everything in here was over reactionary to her comments. There's such more important things to get so stressed about lol. Before I popped in here, there was what... several hundreds or so comments from the same crew repeated the same posts over and over. And what I think about White males is my own business. The same ones that get irritated with that, are the same ones that blow a gasket when a former White character becomes a minority. There's a small amount of minority characters that people really know. Their introductions don't discredit the originals. You always have the original to enjoy, so I don't understand why it's such a hot button issue.

What it comes down to is, you cannot even exist in here without the same toxic environment... and I got sick of just lurking and spoke up. The several dozen pages that routinely need to be cleaned out is what is truly inflammatory. Doesn't this forum have a "threadcrapping" policy? There was plenty of crap to go around lol.

At least I can converse with the majority in here without being told to **** off I guess... difference of opinion is fine... personal attacks aren't.

Brie’s personal opinions and how good this film actually is or not, or her acting abilities, are mutually exclusive. One can like the film, but disagree with what Brie said, and vice versa. Just because one disagrees with what she says should have no bearing on whether or not they enjoyed the film, same for if they agree with what she said. Either would be disingenuous and essentially just playing tribal politics.

For instance, I vehemently disagree with Chris Evans’s opinions, but I think he portrays a damn good Cap and I like the Cap films.

However, if one disagrees with what she says and chose not to see the film because if that, I support that as well. People are free to spend their money and time how they please.

The same ones that get irritated with that, are the same ones that blow a gasket when a former White character becomes a minority. There's a small amount of minority characters that people really know. Their introductions don't discredit the originals. You always have the original to enjoy, so I don't understand why it's such a hot button issue.

It has nothing to do with a character no longer looking like me, I just take issue with a character no longer looking like him or herself. Do I want a black Steve Rogers? No. But I also don't want a white Blade.

But that's more a guideline than a rule because sometimes race bending does work like SLJ Nick Fury or MCD Kingpin.

It has nothing to do with a character no longer looking like me, I just take issue with a character no longer looking like him or herself. Do I want a black Steve Rogers? No. But I also don't want a white Blade.

But that's more a guideline than a rule because sometimes race bending does work like SLJ Nick Fury or MCD Kingpin.

Most the race swaps I'm familiar with in comics are just entirely new characters anyway. Miles Morales and Riri Williams come to mind. They more or less cosplay in another heros outfit lol

:goodpost:

Same with Ghost in AM2.

Most the race swaps I'm familiar with in comics are just entirely new characters anyway. Miles Morales and Riri Williams come to mind. They more or less cosplay in another heros outfit lol

Yeah making different characters is fine. Or having a "black Captain America" when that character is Sam Wilson. I actually really liked black Bucky/Battlestar in the late 80's.

I was of the opinion that everything in here was over reactionary to her comments. There's such more important things to get so stressed about lol. Before I popped in here, there was what... several hundreds or so comments from the same crew repeated the same posts over and over. And what I think about White males is my own business. The same ones that get irritated with that, are the same ones that blow a gasket when a former White character becomes a minority. There's a small amount of minority characters that people really know. Their introductions don't discredit the originals. You always have the original to enjoy, so I don't understand why it's such a hot button issue.

What it comes down to is, you cannot even exist in here without the same toxic environment... and I got sick of just lurking and spoke up. The several dozen pages that routinely need to be cleaned out is what is truly inflammatory. Doesn't this forum have a "threadcrapping" policy? There was plenty of crap to go around lol.

At least I can converse with the majority in here without being told to **** off I guess...

Does Piss off really get edited :lol

Anyways.. Your issues with White men is your own business. I just cant imagine saying that sort of statement about any group.. Its a generalization and the very definition of Prejudice.. I mean you know all white men are not alike right ;)

The Bolded part... I am not sure what you mean here.. Are you referring to the fact that Captain Marvel Use to be Male?? I am not sure what you are talking about.. If so.. then I have to say that White woman are not a minority.. In fact I think they make up the majority by beating out white men by 1%..

But that is neither here nor there.

I agree that there are more important things to get worried about.. I would also say that there are more important things to do then post on a site about toys.. But here we are :lol

Back