Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally a female led billion dollar movie! Yay!

Oh wait.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikkain%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F12%2Fstar-wars-vs-2.jpg

Beauty-and-the-Beast-Featured-02162017.jpg

Alice.jpg

lol

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I'm really looking forward to seeing Brie Larson in context with the rest of the MCU actors, should be interesting to see the dynamics of that.

Our humble Ms. Brie on the success of the flick:

Apparently white women are a minority now too :rotfl

If we’re keeping count correctly, that means the only majority left is white males, much like the new meaning of ‘diverse.’

Wow...for the first time I was about to actually jump on the band wagon and proclaim Brie Larson an idiot of the highest magnitude...before I did I re-read the post and something about it didn't seem right...then a quick google search led me to the quote before you edited it...nice...I am no Brie Larson fan but that was dirty...if you are going to post a quote here you should not alter it...dirty dirty.

Wow...for the first time I was about to actually jump on the band wagon and proclaim Brie Larson an idiot of the highest magnitude...before I did I re-read the post and something about it didn't seem right...then a quick google search led me to the quote before you edited it...nice...I am no Brie Larson fan but that was dirty...if you are going to post a quote here you should not alter it...dirty dirty.

I literally copied and pasted it from IndieWire, which is a well known reputable website:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/brie-larson-captain-marvel-billion-box-office-reaction-1202057719/

If they edited it in any way that's on them.

Either way she does flat out lie about the concept of women making a billion not being normal, and plays up her own role in it. Dirty, dirty, indeed. :thwak

Here in Australia women are a 52% minority. But I guess if you only count the white ones it goes down.

On a side note I recently saw Aquaman, which was cheesy but fun. But what caught me most off guard was my reaction to seeing Temuera Morrison on screen after so long. I'm not a person who's very nostalgic by nature at all, but I actually felt that I missed seeing him for so long now. Really surprised me.

Your profile pic and mentioning Australia just reminded me of it.

Even if you disqualify TFA and Alice since the top billing still went to male actors it doesn't change the fact that RO and BatB still were the first two films to pass a billion with top billed females.

But Brie declares that she broke a glass ceiling? Did it get repaired after Felicity broke it?

Yeah...I don't have the patience to deal with copying and pasting it here but if you google the first line of the quote it takes you to the interview. This one picks up in the middle of a sentence. In the interview...I am paraphrasing but she discusses all that women writers and directors have done blah blah blah and then says "I am happy to have helped to break the glass ceiling..."which is very different than claiming that she alone "broke" the so called glass ceiling.

Yeah...I don't have the patience to deal with copying and pasting it here but if you google the first line of the quote it takes you to the interview. This one picks up in the middle of a sentence. In the interview...I am paraphrasing but she discusses all that women writers and directors have done blah blah blah and then says "I am happy to have helped to break the glass ceiling..."which is very different than claiming that she alone "broke" the so called glass ceiling.

It’d literally take less time to do than it took to type that post though.

^Here's the whole quote as I find it now:

“We put unnecessary pressure on ourselves,” Larson said. “I understand film history. I know that the film industry started with a majority of women. It started with women filmmakers. This weird idea that women maybe can’t open movies or are not important to storytelling or the female story is not high art, it’s bogus. I don’t want to for a second buy into it.”

Larson continued, “I’m very grateful to have broken this glass ceiling of normalizing the concept that women can also make a billion dollars. I don’t know why that was so hard to comprehend in the first place. It’s just like we’re human, whatever. If people needed this to be another reminder this decade [that minority groups can open movies and make a billion dollars] then great, I’m here, I did it.”

She says she doesn't buy into the idea that women can't open movies or aren't important to storytelling or high art (and no one ever said that) - and then goes on to say she is the one normalizing it and that people couldn't comprehend it up until this point. Add that to previous comments of Ripley not being good enough and women in past roles not being allowed to be sassy or out of control, and she's just making up whatever suits her.

In the end I don't believe she's malicious, but like Silverstar said.. she's definitely lacking a bit in the IQ department. But she's the star of the moment so they just eat up whatever the celebrity says.

Interesting. I also doubt she’s being malicious. But at this point, to be candid, I really couldn’t care less what she or any other celebrity says or thinks about anything other than simply playing their role in the make believe worlds that I typically enjoy. Despite that they like to think, being a celebrity doesn’t somehow confer you with eclectic, worldly knowledge that nobody else is capable of figuring out for themselves, so consequently, I take a hard pass on whatever they have to say, regardless from what side it comes from. I’d never look to Hollywood for moral guidance, political advice, or inspiration. Just the characters they portray, not them themselves. I have other real life role models I can look to, and I can do my own homework when it comes to politics and other topics that they seem to avow themselves as being “pundits” on. I couldn’t give a **** what my doctor or dentist thinks about said topics, so why they’re (Hollywood) under the impression and seem to be adamant I’d care what they think is beyond me.

They can use the platform all they want of course, but I’ve simply turned their volume knob down.

It’d literally take less time to do than it took to type that post though.

Pull up Google, type the quote in the search bar, pull up the link to the article, scroll through....yeah, no, I must be a pretty fast typist then because typing that out was way quicker for me.

Pull up Google, type the quote in the search bar, pull up the link to the article, scroll through....yeah, no, I must be a pretty fast typist then because typing that out was way quicker for me.

Regardless of one’s WPM, I just based it on the simple logic that you’re simply copying and pasting text that has already been typed, as opposed to typing a wall of text yourself.

Popnfresh already put it up though, so thanks anyway. :duff

She is not be malicious or toxic she just keeps on banging out her views and beliefs. If there is money to be made women will star in movies why cant she understand that. You can't just force 50% of the movies that come out to be female leads. You get the best cast for your movie and that is all that should count.

That goes back to forcing equal outcome as opposed to equal opportunity, but that’s neither here nor there and not a rabbit hole that needs going down in this thread.

Ya know, she is just weird. I mean does she either doesn't believe what she is saying or she has some real deep seated issues... I only say this because until she started talking, I, a 40 plus ear old white conservative male, never thought of Cap Marvel as a female led Marvel comic movie.. I never thought of Star Wars RO or TFA as female led Star Wars Films. Never thought about Underworld as a female led Vampire action film.. Never thought of Atomic Blond as a female spy thriller... Or WW as a Female led DC films..

I just think of them as films I wanted to see.

Brie seems to want to play the underdog card and that's fine. But nobody is saying that female led films typically reserved for male leads cant make money.. Maybe 15 or 20 years ago but I think now its all a bunch of attention seeking, victimization, mumbo jumbo.

Granted there is some pushback from twitter and youtubers but that is not the mass population.

Oh well...

Hey there are some good videos of her and Chris Hemsworth going at it.. Cant decide if its in good fun or if they really don't care for each other.

I am the same Jaws. I don't see movies as a male lead, female lead, a black lead, a white lead etc i see the film as a film. We got away from that world and now we have inclusion why is she trying to go back to the stone ages and separate things again.

Yea lots of media outlets seem to have it out for her......

Normalizing women making a billion dollars and breaking the glass ceiling all by herself are two different things.

Best she can do now is stop talking as certain elements will twist and bastardize anything she say.

The web is a powerful thing, when quotes are edited or taken out of the context of the discussion.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Ya know, she is just weird. I mean does she either doesn't believe what she is saying or she has some real deep seated issues... I only say this because until she started talking, I, a 40 plus ear old white conservative male, never thought of Cap Marvel as a female led Marvel comic movie.. I never thought of Star Wars RO or TFA as female led Star Wars Films. Never thought about Underworld as a female led Vampire action film.. Never thought of Atomic Blond as a female spy thriller... Or WW as a Female led DC films..

I just think of them as films I wanted to see.

Brie seems to want to play the underdog card and that's fine. But nobody is saying that female led films typically reserved for male leads cant make money.. Maybe 15 or 20 years ago but I think now its all a bunch of attention seeking, victimization, mumbo jumbo.

Granted there is some pushback from twitter and youtubers but that is not the mass population.

Oh well...

Hey there are some good videos of her and Chris Hemsworth going at it.. Cant decide if its in good fun or if they really don't care for each other.

I am the same Jaws. I don't see movies as a male lead, female lead, a black lead, a white lead etc i see the film as a film. We got away from that world and now we have inclusion why is she trying to go back to the stone ages and separate things again.

:exactly:

I’m just about certain nobody saw movies like Captain America on the marquee and said to themselves “oh look, a film with a white male lead, I definitely can’t miss this one.”

^Here's the whole quote as I find it now:

She says she doesn't buy into the idea that women can't open movies or aren't important to storytelling or high art (and no one ever said that) - and then goes on to say she is the one normalizing it and that people couldn't comprehend it up until this point. Add that to previous comments of Ripley not being good enough and women in past roles not being allowed to be sassy or out of control, and she's just making up whatever suits her.

In the end I don't believe she's malicious, but like Silverstar said.. she's definitely lacking a bit in the IQ department. But she's the star of the moment so they just eat up whatever the celebrity says.

Well, she clearly says "if people need this to be another reminder this decade", so she isn't dismissing all the other "female led" movies that came before that broke a billion... and within the context, it's pretty clear she isn't taking all the credit for it.

So, thanks for clearing that up with the entire quote. :hi5:

Back