Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

Needless to say, with the first Cap movie being set entirely in WWII the time to finally buy that Exclusive Captain America PF if you haven't already is NOW, NOW, NOW.

Pics courtesy of myself and various other board members:

BellaCrawling003.jpg

BellaCrawling005.jpg

Cap3.jpg

Cap4.jpg

Picture297.jpg

IMG_0030.png

I predict that in 2010/11 the WWII Cap PF will exceed current Hulk PF prices. :flag

What? No Vin Diesel fans here? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Personally, I hope the Cappy movie will make do without that costume, it looks nice in comics and cartoon and statues but in reel life, not sure.

Cool, looks like I'm gonna go see the Hulk.

The scoop mongers at Latinoreview have covertly discovered who Marvel wants to pick up Steve Rogers shield last seen on Tony Stark’s workbench!

Marvel has been having one hell of a week. First the Jon Favreau controversy, then we have a he said/ she said argument brewing over Captain America’s cameo, oh and tomorrow THE INCREDIBLE HULK opens which kicked all sorts of ass.

Well, speaking of CAPTAIN AMERICA, I have myself a trusted source internally over at Marvel and they are now starting to toss names for the role of Steve Rogers.

The name at the top of the list?

LEONARDO DICAPRIO

Now before some loser film website goes out there and tries to debunk me let’s get it straight. Don’t expect Marvel to go on the record and say “Yes it’s true, we are looking at so and so.” Hollywood doesn’t work like that. Studios and production companies only go on the record to announce the casting of a role when it’s official. I announced the lead in the upcoming Prince of Persia. It took the trades weeks later to make it official. That being said…

NO OFFERS HAVE BEEN OFFICIALLY MADE! NOBODY HAS BEEN CAST YET! DICAPRIO IS PROBABLY CLUELESS AT THIS POINT!

Just because Marvel wants him, doesn’t mean they are going to get him. Studios and production companies put together their wish lists when they are casting and work their way down the list. I personally believe DiCaprio is an odd choice. To me, Leo’s tall and lanky figure is perfect for Steve Rogers pre-super soldier serum but I wonder how they are going to make Leo look like a bulked up super soldier. Don’t get me wrong, he has the chops for the role but DiCaprio is awfully busy these days developing ATARI, FLEMING and a host of other projects over at Appian way.

Marvel is aiming real high when it comes to talent and rightfully so, it has paid off for them tremendously. I believe to get DiCaprio, they’re gonna have to nail down a kick ass script and a director first.

You know else is also on the list in case they don’t get DiCaprio?

BRAD PITT

Marvel wants to be in the Brad Pitt business. They are willing to cast him either as THOR or CAPTAIN AMERICA. Now Brad Pitt as Captain America would be bad ass but as it stands right now…

…Marvel wants Leonardo DiCaprio as Captain America! (Blech)

and this.........

The hottest news is that on the eve of The Incredible Hulk's release, fans are in a frenzy over rumors regarding a cameo appearance by Captain America. Despite Leterrier's statements that Cap was cut from an artic sequence, Hurd personally told us he was never in the film.

"He didn't really mean the character of Captain America, unless there's something that I don't know...Captain America was not visible in that scene."

Who are you gonna believe, the director of the film or the big boss herself?

Last edited:

Any actor can bulk up. Leo was bigger in The Departed and there's no denying he's a good actor. As I stated in the Thor thread - they have to have someone who can hold their own with the likes of Downey and Norton (if he continues as Banner). You can't have an unknown in that group.

leonardo-dicaprio-rambo.jpg

akira_dicaprio.jpg

url

After these roles (all just rumours) Cap will be a go.:D

Any actor can bulk up. Leo was bigger in The Departed and there's no denying he's a good actor. As I stated in the Thor thread - they have to have someone who can hold their own with the likes of Downey and Norton (if he continues as Banner). You can't have an unknown in that group.

He can "bulk up" all he wants...he's too friggin short for starters.
No amount of working out will change that.

I just came back from watching Iron Man with a few friends and did anyone notice that when Yensid died, the bag of "grain"? that was on him had a circular American Flag with the 1940s shield design on it?

Awesome. DiCaprio might do it....he was in the frontrunning for Spider-Man and lost that role out to Tobey....he could see this as a second chance offer.....Pitt as Thor would be awesome but I'd hold my judgment on DiCaprio as Cap until I see him in costuming....

Think of the Avengers line up if it all comes to pass: Downey Jr, Norton, DiCaprio and Pitt? Talk about All-Stars...

He can "bulk up" all he wants...he's too friggin short for starters.
No amount of working out will change that.

Ask Tom Cruise about that. :lol

Camera angles do amazing things my friend. Moot Point.

Although I think DiCaprio is a good but overrated actor, the idea of him as Captain America does not sit well with me.

Ask Tom Cruise about that. :lol

Camera angles do amazing things my friend. Moot Point.

Havent seen a movie yet where Tom looked taller then he is...let alone attempt a 6'4-6'6 super soldier. Angles get you only so far buddy.

Leo also doesnt have the commanding presence, charisma or facial features to pull off the living legend.

Captain America has to have charisma.
Leo has none.

He would make a good Steve Rogers (before the Super Serum)

I don't see him as Cap either.

I'm not thrilled either with the thought of DiCaprio as Captain America. But, I was also turned off when I read that Robert Downey Jr. was going to be Iron Man / Tony Stark.

I was impressed with the job he did, as I loved the Iron Man movie, and I loved Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man / Tony Stark. So, if DiCaprio does wind up with the part, I'll reserve judgment till I see the movie. He could turn out to be pretty good in it...

Havent seen a movie yet where Tom looked taller then he is...let alone attempt a 6'4-6'6 super soldier. Angles get you only so far buddy.

Have you seen Minority Report? Neal McDonough is 6 feet even. Tom is 5'7". While they aren't seeing eye to eye there definitely doesn't look to be a 5 inch difference between the two. Not to mention Colin Farrell is 5'10" yet throughout the film looked taller than Neal.

minorityreport2.jpg

In modern cinema height is a moot point. Also the argument was based on Leo playing Cap, Tom was only an example. Leo is 6 even. Cap is 6'2". People actually think they can't adjust two inches? In boots? Bam. No issue.

I don't see Leo as Cap. But remember history has shown that those who are thought not to be able to fill the shoes of their parts have usually surpassed expectations. People said that Christopher Reeve couldn't play a living legend yet his Superman is the most remembered despite many playing the part before and after him.

People said Ledger would suck as the Joker yet he seems to be stealing all the thunder from that film even before his death.

People said that Routh couldn't play Superman either. Yet after SR, his performance was one of the only saving graces of that film and his subtile yet powerful portrayal was dead on in comparison to Reeve.

People had their doubts about Norton and Downey Jr as well.

If the past is any indication then if DiCaprio is casted then he'll do outstanding. He is a tall guy who can act and for me that IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! After Iron Man and Incredible Hulk I have the upmost faith in Marvel Studios. Fill the roles with actual actors then tailor the characters to their strengths while keeping true to the source material. I don't see the issue.

Good points Mike. My problem is I still think of him as the guy all the girl's were going nuts over when Titanic came out. I'm not much of a moviegoer so I've not seen his more recent movies, although I've heard he's come a long way since then.

Neal McDonough is still my prime choice. Athough I'll confess I don't knwow much about his acting skills.

Back