Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally saw this today and I absolutely loved it. Iron Man is still number one for me in the Marvel Universe I definitely liked this film more than any of the Marvel films before it including both Iron Man films.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Fantastically done film 9/10. Only marginally beat out by X:FC IMHO but definitely a new standard for Marvel Studio films.

liked it, not as much as Thor but i'm not american, so that could explain it.:monkey1

kinda thought the leaked Avengers trailer was the best part of the movie.:peace

BTW: did anyone else see the new Spiderman preview before the movie?? not sure who the villian is, but you can sure see that they're gunning for the 3D effect on this one.

You might be onto something here :lol...I found it ok but not great. For a while it was like watching Star Wars in 1942....also found the Red Skull character to be too nice :lol...wasn't evil enough for me.

i've never been a captain america fan, but from the trailers and reading things here and there, my expectations were high. thankfully, they were met with a really good movie. it has a very old school vibe to it, like old school movie making. very adventure like. also, it was cool that they didn't shy away from some of the violence. you actually see people getting shot and killed and i was amazed they didn't cut away when the guy went through the propellor. that was great.

Movie was great. The acting, the tone, just overall from beginning to end.
I do feel bad for Steve and Peggy at the end, so sad.

i've never been a captain america fan, but from the trailers and reading things here and there, my expectations were high. thankfully, they were met with a really good movie. it has a very old school vibe to it, like old school movie making. very adventure like. also, it was cool that they didn't shy away from some of the violence. you actually see people getting shot and killed and i was amazed they didn't cut away when the guy went through the propellor. that was great.
I was actually rather surprised and glad by that, also..

Just saw this in 3D. The movie was OK. Unfortunately, there were only a couple of instances were it really felt like a 3D movie.

Spoiler Spoiler:

There's one scene in this movie that had me scratchin' my head, tho. It was the transformation scene--slightly different from the trailers that were released.

I'm definitely hoping HT makes a Captain America 1.5 version, having the original costume--but with the WWII helmet & goggles, brown leather jacket, and the original shield.

8/10 :cool:

Thought it was well done. I enjoyed it. Evan and the rest of the cast were good, especially scenery chewing Jones! The lasters were a bit much tough. I liked seeing the android Human Torch in the glass tube at the begining of the World Fair scene.

Thought it was well done. I enjoyed it. Evan and the rest of the cast were good, especially scenery chewing Jones! The lasters were a bit much tough. I liked seeing the android Human Torch in the glass tube at the begining of the World Fair scene.

That was a nice nod to Cap's original WWII group.

I am not an American, but as it happens Cap has always been my favourite of the Marvel heroes. His comics were the ones I primarily collected through most of the 80's at the height of my youthful collecting (as well as Avengers) and now that I've started collecting again in the past few years his again (and the Avengers) are my focus. I loved this movie version. The casting was perfect. The music fit every mood. The visuals all worked. When early footage leaked I was concerned it was going to be G.I.Joe all over again with nameless black-leathered Vipers shooting lasers-- but tying the advanced weaponry into the Cosmis Cube was very well done. Chris Evans was a perfect choice as both pre-transformation and post. Hugo Weaving hit all of the right notes as The Red Skull both when wearing his mask and when he finally became liberated by tossing it into the fire. Hayley Atwell was really good as Peggy and there was definitely emotional weight at the end when Cap did what he had to do with the plane-- also, although it was abrupt I really loved the end line.
Spoiler Spoiler:

What can I say about Tommy Lee Jones? Perfection. The audience loved almost every line he said and there was always a strong reaction to what he was doing on the screen. But I think the best casting was Stanley Tucci as Dr. Abraham Erskine--- And perhaps the funniest casting for me was Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan as he was one of the guys that was heavily thrown out as a great possibility as playing the actual Captain America prior to Evans' casting (I count myself in that number, although his age was the one limiting factor).

Joe Johnston did a wonderful job. Period. End of sentence. Now then, who wants to fondue?

This movie proved one thing.

Washed up directors can still surprise us with a good movie.

Great directors on a streak can still shock us with a flop.

Yeah, I can't wait to see him kicking ass in modern times:yess: Until then, second viewing tonight:yess:

Saw Cap for a second time yesterday! :yess: :woo

I absolutely loved the movie, it was everything I hoped it would be!

I loved the Rocketeer and Indy winks:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Same here, they were great! :rock

I don't know, I'll enjoy Captain Canada when it comes out.

:lol :lol :lol

Movie was great. The acting, the tone, just overall from beginning to end.
I do feel bad for Steve and Peggy at the end, so sad.

My girl started to tear up at that point. :( Very sad moment.

This movie proved one thing.

Washed up directors can still surprise us with a good movie.

Great directors on a streak can still shock us with a flop.

Despite what people say about Johnston's other movies, I had faith that he would deliver a good period movie. He did The Rocketeer, which was a really good movie regardless what some may say. :D

I see that my enthusiasm for the film is echoed by many here. That's great.

As an adventure film I'd rank it somewhere between Raiders and TOD. Captain America has always been my favorite superhero, I couldn't be happier that he'll always have a great theatrical debut.

I'm sorry, but let me ask the dumb question- Why is Captain America considered the first Avenger? I didn't grow up reading comic books. I watched the cartoons, and what-not, that most of the Super Heroes were on, so that subtitle doesn't make sense to me.

I see that my enthusiasm for the film is echoed by many here. That's great.

As an adventure film I'd rank it somewhere between Raiders and TOD. Captain America has always been my favorite superhero, I couldn't be happier that he'll always have a great theatrical debut.

Well said! :exactly: :rock

Seeing my childhood hero brought to life in a fantastic movie debut will stick with me forever. Just like Indiana Jones and The Rocketeer did. :D

I'm sorry, but let me ask the dumb question- Why is Captain America considered the first Avenger? I didn't grow up reading comic books. I watched the cartoons, and what-not, that most of the Super Heroes were on, so that subtitle doesn't make sense to me.

He was the first member of the team to be created and appeared a good twenty years before the Hulk, Iron Man or Kirby's Thor.

Back