Boba Fett...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighElven

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hello all Star Wars fans,
I am posting to ask what peoples like of Boba Fett actually stems from?
I'm watchin ROTJ for the first time right now, and he dies in such a lame way. I dont remember being impressed by him in the Empire Strikes back... Sure his design is cool but I think hes a pretty weak character.
So what makes him so popular?
cheers
ed

I've always thought that as well!

The same goes for Darth Maul but they are both good designs.

PsychoCenobite :cool:

EDIT: Maybe not Maul. He was a lot cooler than Fett!

It most likely stems from the vintage days when Fett was offered as an exclusive mail-away figure. Plus he looks cool!

Not to sound like too much of a SW dork, but Fett doesn't die in ROTJ! He uses his jet back to escape the Sarlac. I think this is in one of the books, but I haven't read it yet. It's most likely on SW.com as well.

And Maul does die pretty weak too. That's the worst part of PM for me because he's one of my favorite characters.

Darth Loki said:
And Maul does die pretty weak too. That's the worst part of PM for me because he's one of my favorite characters.

Same here. I remember hearing that he might come back in Attack of the Clones. It was said that he could reattach his body together... or something like that.

But no! :sick

PsychoCenobite :horror

IMO Boba Fetts appeal stems from his mystery...When the movies first came out you didnt have 1000 internet chat rooms to discuss every detail in a movie....So when ESB came out and that strange bounty hunter,"Boba Fett??", was the man given the job to take Han back to Jabba his fan appeal went through the roof.."Who was this guy,and why was he working for the Empire?"Soooo..move twenty years later and his appeal has never stoped...His fan fair started small and he grew into a almost mythical character......If you are a younger fan of SW its no doubt you cant understand the appeal of a character who may have only had about ten minutes of movie time....but if you are a bit older and can remember wondering about that bounty hunter you can understand his lasting appeal.

Fett got out of the Sarlacc in an awesome short story and with the help of Dengar was able to survive the blistering Tattooine suns....
Maul does indeed survive and tracks Obi-Wan down on Tattooine and tries to destroy Luke...Obi-Wan kills him for good in a wonderful moment - leaping from his hiding place and dueling one more time with the, now half droid (his bottom half is now machine and spider-like) Maul!

Boba is so popular because of the fact taht he had so little to do in the films....He retains a mystique about him and people are able to imagine his adventures rather than be told what they are....on film, anyway.
....and let's face....
In Jeremy Bulloch's own words (When I met him the first time.....five times, since then.,...) "He's not a Rebel or an Imperial. He's his own man....and His armor and his arsenal....his helmet.....What's not to like?"

I agree! :cool:

Darth Loki said:
Not to sound like too much of a SW dork, but Fett doesn't die in ROTJ! He uses his jet back to escape the Sarlac. I think this is in one of the books, but I haven't read it yet. It's most likely on SW.com as well.

Movie says he is dead. I don't recall seeing him fly out in Jedi.

Darth Loki said:

Wasn't weak to me. He got full of himself playing with OB1 and then got split in half.

Yeah, I agree Fett has some mystique around him, but still, that idiot, Lucas made a blind Solo catapult his ass all the way to Sarlaak....

I just goes to show ya....When fans love a character....even the creator himself can't kill him off without a resurrection of some kind! I think Jango was a direct result of the hoopla surrounding Boba Fett among the fans all these years!
That characters story arc was born of Fett's popularity!

Fett's armor and body were extremely battered by his ordeal in the Sarlacc. When he plunged into the beast, he was kept alive by numerous fibrous suckers that attached themselves to his body. This was part of the Sarlacc's horrible metabolic process; it would keep its prey alive for thousands of years, all the while slowly feeding off it. Fett almost lost his identity in the swirling dementia brought about by the Sarlacc's toxins. His resolve held, and he used his weapons to blast free of the beast.

Straight from StarWars.com, Databank.

The best part of that story was the Sarlacc talking....or was it the voice of it's 'first victim'....And the tale of that Jedi that was trapped in there...Fett didn't like the way she was killed.
The stomach acid of the Sarlacc ate away at Fett's armor and burned his pretty badly....That is a heck of a tale....

Tales from Jabba's Palace.

Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales of the Bounty Hunters are good as well!

Darth Loki said:
Fett's armor and body were extremely battered by his ordeal in the Sarlacc. When he plunged into the beast, he was kept alive by numerous fibrous suckers that attached themselves to his body. This was part of the Sarlacc's horrible metabolic process; it would keep its prey alive for thousands of years, all the while slowly feeding off it. Fett almost lost his identity in the swirling dementia brought about by the Sarlacc's toxins. His resolve held, and he used his weapons to blast free of the beast.

Straight from StarWars.com, Databank.
That stuff is hillarious. I don't have a problem with the "Extended Universe" and it's many fans. It's kind of neat that SW spawned such a huge and active fan base that they couldn't live with just the films. But really guys, Boba did die in RotJ, and he died like a *****. Knocked off by a blind guy. He went down screaming like a little girl. EU reabilitation aside he was a pretty lame character. But he had a look that hardcore fans liked, so they remade him. And the character that was created outside the films is the one so many fans like. But the film version was a punk.
Darth Maul on the other hand was pretty cool in my opinion and it's kind of a shame the fans etc. couldn't leave his demise alone. He had a great fight scene and an epic defeat and death, definately the highlight of Episode 1. I hadn't read anything about "Spider-Maul" until now and that just sounds lame. Ah well.

I grew up with Star Wars and I always loved Boba Fett because...

1. he had a very cool costume.
2. he HAD a very cool voice. (2nd best only to Vader)
3. He must have had a bad reputation for killing people hence the Vader line "No Desintigrations."
4. He had a cool looking ship.
5. He seemed to be respeced by Vader which is always cool.
6. Was very mysterious. Who was he/ where did he get that armour etc..

But now that Lucas has changed his voice to sound like a punk and he has shown us him as a kid and taken away some of the mystery I seem to not like him as much.

It's the "less is more" cool factor. We barely knew anything about Fett whch made him a great and mysterious character. Plus he just looked really cool with that armor. ;)

Do NOT watch the recently released DVD version of TESB or ROTJ.

They changed his voice and it used to be so much better, which added to the character. His voice really sucks now.

Plus the added Jabba scene with Fett is very lame and forced IMO.

Edit:
Well said Madden!
I just read your post and we said the same thing!
<sigh>

Last edited:
The new voice is fine to me. It makes sense with current continuity, and we all loved that voice coming from Jango, who is the exact same character, only shinier.

Customikey said:
The new voice is fine to me. It makes sense with current continuity, and we all loved that voice coming from Jango, who is the exact same character, only shinier.

Not all of us...and the non-SE version of Boba is MUCH cooler than Jango IMO.

;)

I totally agree with Madden and Gruson. It's the whole mystique of the character. He was this bad ass with a cool costume and a nice ride. Lucas changing his voice was another revisionist mistake on his part. I'm surprised he didn't have him flying out of the Sarlacc on the DVDs.

Back